Pistol classes for Postal matches

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 October 2011
Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 27 September 2011

I see in the rules for the CBA they have 2 pistol classes, long range and unrestricted but in the postal there are 2 slightly different classes, Hunter and Long Range

So is Hunter only in the Postal? i.e. is hunter a class in the Postal matches?

I was going to send in for the deer hunter for hunter pistol

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 28 September 2011

Yes, Hunter category is limited to the Postal events. But in the LRH event for the BR matches, you can use anything you want that is less than 7-pounds and a limited barrel length of 15". So a production pistol that is eligible for the Hunter Postal category could be used in the LRH category in the BR matches. The distinctions in the LRH category are less restrictive than the Hunter Postal equipment definition.

Only a handful of shooters are entering the LRH event at the BR matches. The current popularity of the Unrestricted event is much stronger, as evidenced by the # of entrants at the National Tournament 2-weeks ago where there were (5) entrants in that category. There was only one entrant in LRH at the 2009 and the 2010 National Tournament.

Want some fun? Try the Postal 200-yard Combined event with your handgun.

Tom

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 28 September 2011

200 yards! I can't keep 6 shots on paper at 100 yard!!!! Here in New England I don't know of any pistol events, I am planning to do mostly Postal.

Did you see my post about a Military as issued Pistol class? what do you think the popularity of that would be or would it be too fringe?

I was thinking because the gawd-awful iron sights on those things off had at 25 yards and benchrest at 50.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 28 September 2011

If we attempt to focus on limiting it to military only, we risk the entanglements that the BR Military Rifle rules went through, trying to satisfy too many “non issue” situations. But...there are probably a lot more Postal candidates/shooters in the group who have fixed sight 4” barreled revolvers or semi-autos that are also on hand as concealed carry carry equipment, that could be induced into joining in on some Postal fun. As Ed Harris suggested, maybe 25-yards would be a stretch. For shooting distances look at something in the 50-feet or 20-yards area and require a cylinder or magazine change within the allowed shooting time.

Postals are an honor system so it could be fun to see how this new Postal event develops and is participated in.

Tom

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 29 September 2011

I like the idea of fixed sight, 4 inch barrel max as really the only requirements, that would bring in Smith Model 10's etc or even my 1911.

50 feet would be a good range as it wouldn't eliminate 3 inch barrels. A reload would make it interesting!

You could certainly count me in, and I may even be able to get my son's to join CBA as they are pistol shooters.

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 29 September 2011

It was pointed out to mean that the 1911 wouldn't qualify since it is a 5 in(?) barrel do to how it is measured also that would eliminate Lugers. What would people think of 5 1/2 inches which would mean my Ruger Vaguaro single action cowboy guns could compete also it would allow 1911's Lugers and P38's (although some P38's if not all have rear sights that can be drifted, hmm speaking of that so can the rear sights on the Government .45 for windage, although I think you would only do that once to get a base line).

Also 5 1/2 would allow the Colt and S&W 1917's from WW1

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 30 September 2011

are these pistol classes to teach pistols to shoot better.. if they are i want to enroll a couple of mine as they seem to have a mind of their own. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 30 September 2011

I can get one hole groups if I put the muzzle against the target but then the target tends to catch fire.

If we could get interest in this there would be some questions,

It would be a fixed sight class, is a drift rear sight such as on the 1911 Government or the P38 “fixed” or since you can adjust it with a hammer is it adjustable? (Fixed to me was the ones that have the “U” channel at the back, although they can be adjusted with a file, granted only one time.)

Barrel length, 4 inches sounds good, but 5 1/2 opens for 1911's and 1917's and alot of Single Actions.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 30 September 2011

The intent in limiting it to fixed sights is to remove the option to “quickly adjust the sights on the fly while engaged in the match". At home or on a sight-in target, if you want to beat on the sights to “adjust them” for a given load, live it up. But once you start shooting the actual match targets, the time allowed won't permit the slow process of “adjusting” drift adjustable sights...and...the event isn't intended to be an overly precise BR activity...or is it?

If the distance is close enough, you can see the hits as you go and “adjust your hold” not your sights, right?

I've asked Dan Hudson (Postal Match Director) what it takes to start a new Postal event. He may ask who will score it and I'll volunteer for at least the first year.

Tom

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 30 September 2011

Tom I think that would be great!

I agree with the fact that drift sights would not be an issue as the adjustment can take forever.

This is to be off-hand only and probably at about 50 feet, in my opinion.

At that range even snubbys could be competitive.

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 01 October 2011

As Tom also knows, in I.H.M.S.A. silhouette matches we shot to 200yrds/meters all the time.Its very doable and amasing to see it done.My brother watched a match this year while I worked and shot in a match and was very impressed with the ability of all the shooters

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 01 October 2011

I don't know that I would want to try a 4 inch barrel with fixed sights, especially a Military .38 Special at 200 yards! I had enough trouble with my 4 inch S&W Model 28 hitting a 12x12 inch target at 100 yards, let alone trying to group the shots

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 01 October 2011

Keep in mnd that the IHMSA (Intl. Handgun Silhouette Assn.) matches are ALL shot with adjustable sights/scopes and barell lengths 10 1/2” to 15” long and from fairly stable shooting positions, in addition to standing. The IHMSA events are completely different that our “percolating” off hand 50-foot thing we've been discussing. But...handguns configured properly are certainly capable of unexpecetd accuracy levels!

Need a headcount...of those who would do this IF it were available as a Postal event, in case that's a requiremnet to decide if it should be offered.

Tom

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 02 October 2011

You can count me it!

Attached Files

Close