Potential new Postal event-Practical Pistol

• 13K Views
  • Last Post 03 November 2016
Tom Acheson posted this 02 October 2011

There has been an ongoing discussion on the possibilities of a new Postal event along with suggestions for guns allowed, shooting distances and positions, sights, etc. This started out as a surplus military handgun event but “grew” to consider other guns.

IF the event were to be configured as seen below, please respond to the poll.

Allowed handguns:

<>Out of the box production, NOT from the maker's custom shop, no alterations such as after market springs, action parts, barrels, grips, etc. <>Fixed sights <>Barrel length of 4” for revolvers and 5 1/2” for semi-autos <>50 foot shooting distance <>10-shots, with one magazine or cylinder change required, 5-shots per <>Offhand, one or two hand hold, shooter's optionIf this can be tried, the first year the semi-autos and revolvers will be scored together. Should the turnout be strong, and one type or another is extremely dominant we might consider separating the action types. And if enough military surplus guns are entered we could separate those out also, depending on scores and headcount of entries.

The target will be one that the CBA Postal program already uses to keep costs down and measure the interest. The smallest black center target now being used (I think) is the 100-yard small bore rifle target. It has an 8” dia. center (7 ring). Too big? we'll see. In 2012 it will be a one time event. Again, if interest is there we can open it up in 2013 to be a seasonal thing where we shoot once a month for 4-months. There would then be an agg winner(s) in addition to a monthly winner(s).

About the grips...many shooters personalize their guns with custom grips. In the spirit of keeping this a “production gun” event, grips offered as an optional catalog item by the gun maker for the gun being used, will be allowed.

Let's see what happens.

Tom

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 03 November 2016

Test comment

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 20 March 2013

Yes, the sights as you describe them are OK. We just wanted to eliminate the “quick” adjust-ability that a screw driver would offer while the shooter is engaged in the match. Not much room with that sight set-up to quickly alter the elevation either.

Tom

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 19 March 2013

I need a clarification on 'fixed sights'. My old M&P or Victory are fixed fixed. My 1911 could be drifted in the dovetail. I'm guessing this passes for fixed? Got my targets, hoping to do better than last year! Any dovetailed sight is adjustable, right? Wrong? Help!

Attached Files

MKastning posted this 25 January 2013

Match 21, bottom of page 17 in the 2013 match guide.

I had to split the page with match 20, and the text got a little close.

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 24 January 2013

Which match is it? I have to 2013 guide but don't see it.

It is interesting this came in today, as I was starting to plan my year

Attached Files

MKastning posted this 24 January 2013

Just a quick note to let those that participated in this trial match know that it has been included in the 2013 Postal match lineup!

I have the targets ready to send out, and it still has the July date to send targets in for scoring.

This “trial” match actually had more shooters than many of the other postal events. I am generally a rifle shooter, but it has me looking into my gun collection to see what I have for fixed sight handguns.

Let me knof if you need a copy of the postal guide emailed to you, or even sent via USPS. there may be other matches you would like to know about as well.

Mike

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 26 January 2012

Can I use a S&W Highway patrol 4” with packmayr Presentation grips. I did not quite understand the grip limitations.

What are the ammo limitations> My thought is I would like to use home cast D.E.wad cutters or Keith semi wad cutters.

Well after rereading the original thread of 2nd Oct 2011. I won't be able to use my Smith HW patrol, and that leaves me out.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 26 January 2012

Sounds good to me .

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 26 January 2012

Ken,

Got your PM but can't make a return work. You are on the list!

Tom

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 January 2012

Tom,

Altho I would think the 50 ft. slow or timed fire would be more appropriate since...... as I got it...... we'll be shooting at 50 ft. would be the target to use. But makes no difference to me which target we use since everyone will be using the same one.

Pete

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 25 January 2012

Target selection:

For those of you following this (we have 12 signed-up so far) I did some comparisons of targets today. No shooting, just sight picture at 50-feet using my Vaquero.

These were the targets with the outside dia. of the black center: 50-yard smallbore rifle 3 7/8" 50-foot slow fire pistol 3 1/16" 50-foot timed/rapid fire pistol 5 1/2"

To me, the 3 7/8” had a good “balance” to the overall sight picture. I plan to order targets the weekend of 4 Feb. If you have any comments please let me know before then.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Tom

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 23 January 2012

I cast up a bunch of 158 gr SWC for my .38's, :lovecast:

now just have to decide which of the 20 to use. I am also going to try a .45 auto and a P-38 :fire

I guess I just like to abuse myself :shock:

:fire

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 20 January 2012

I just saw this and would like to get in on this if not to late . I have a little Colt Police 38 with 4” barrel if that will fit the bill.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 20 January 2012

10-4. Looking forward to it.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 20 January 2012

This hasn't been forgotten about, even though it's been over two months since we last discussed this.

I'll be sending out a match bulletin to those who gave me their addresses and then it will be up to each person to send in their fee, etc. This bulletin will go out in February.

More to follow.....

Tom

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 November 2011

My Star model A feeds button nose wad-cutters! Who'd a thunk that old clunker would do that?

Attached Files

PETE posted this 15 November 2011

Tom,

If the grips ever show up for the Colt I'll be doing two too. The Colt Army Special and a RIA 1911A1 GI.

I figured things would pick up as far as sign-ups go. With over a 1000 reads on this thread there had to be some interest in shooting the match.

Ben,

Gee! A man after my own heart. I too have never seen a gun I didn't like. My buddy and I go to gun shows with no idea what we want but if we see “IT” we'll know it.

Pete

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 15 November 2011

Gents,

So far (1:00 CST, 15 Nov.) I've collected (10) names. I'll be doing one of each; an old S&W Model 58 and a WW II P-38. Never shot the P-38. Will give me (another) gun project for the winter. I smell a new bullet mould and some dies in my future.

This event will be known as Timed Fire Handgun.

Tom

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 15 November 2011

I am not sure how to set up my account to automatically send me emails when new posts are made to this thread, however I am in for the match. not only that but I am going to try both classes and my plan is to do several guns in the wheelgun class and a couple in the pistol class. I want to try my Victory 4” (US) against one of my Victory 5” (British) against my 1917 (45acp) against my 581 4 in vs my Ruger Single Action 4 5/8 Cowboy gun. and in Pistol try my WWII Luger against my 1911, auto ordanence. Can you say more dollars than cents?

I should really cut down the number of guns I have and get good at just a couple or a few, but I never met a gun I didn't like!

This should be a blast, and I think it evolved into a good match with the specs, fixed sights and 7 1/2 barrel.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 13 November 2011

Tom,

If your worried about all those perfect scores we can always use the10 meter air gun target. :-)

Pete

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close