• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 14 July 2012
Captain Wheelgun posted this 21 November 2011

(edited to reduce confusion)

Armi Jager AP 74 .32 ACP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
72coupe posted this 21 November 2011

Well that me be a Colt but it is not a Colt's 1903.

Attached Files

72coupe wrote: Well that me be a Colt but it is not a Colt's 1903. I only mentioned the Colt 1903 to state why I started looking for other .32s. The picture is the Armi Jager AP 74 mentioned in the post sub-title.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 November 2011

Ah, Captain Wheelgun, we don't get to see the sub-titles!

That is the only AR I would ever want to shoot! Can't wait for you to load and send us your chrony data. Keep us bunny gunners posted.

Ric

Attached Files

RicinYakima wrote: Ah, Captain Wheelgun, we don't get to see the sub-titles!

That is the only AR I would ever want to shoot! Can't wait for you to load and send us your chrony data. Keep us bunny gunners posted.

Ric

My browser does show the sub-titles, so I thought everybody could see them. Sorry about the mixup.

I definitely want to find a good load for this. I will keep y'all posted.

Attached Files

Now that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. That should be fun, I didn't know there was any ARs made in 32 ACP.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 November 2011

Waaay cool 8-)

Now all you need is a Czech Scorpion pistol to go with it!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

I will second that. Where do I pick mine up?

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote: Waaay cool 8-)

Now all you need is a Czech Scorpion pistol to go with it! Thanks, Ed. I think it will be a lot of fun. I've looked at the Scorpions before, but they are still too pricey for me at this time.

Attached Files

Captain Wheelgun posted this 15 January 2012

Update on the E.B.B.G. - No load data yet, I haven't been able to get it working with factory ammo. I've tried Winchester, Fiocci, and Prvi Partizan .32 ACP FMJ loads. None of them seem to feed correctly. It looks like the rims are not sliding under the extractor as the round is pushed out of the magazine. I'm thinking about trying to file down the back of the extractor claw to increase clearance there. I haven't done it yet because I haven't found any replacement parts in case I screw it up.

The few times I did manage to get rounds in the chamber, they fired and ejected with no issues. As expected with a rifle this heavy, there was essentially no recoil, and it does appear to have potential for good accuracy.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 January 2012

CW,

Take a good hard look at the magazine before you work the extractor over. I have been down this road of non-self-loading self-loaders before and 90% it is the magazine.

FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Captain Wheelgun posted this 15 January 2012

You're right, magazines are normally the failure point on autos.

The magazine seems to be OK, I didn't see any obvious deformation, but I'll certainly look again. It feeds A-Zoom snap cap / dummy rounds just fine, but chokes on live ammo. Looking closer, the rims on the snap caps seem to be thinner than the rims on the live rounds I've looked at. This is why I suspect the extractor.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 16 January 2012

After having feeding issues with various semi-autos,  following the magazine checks, I have polished the face of the bolt and SLIGHTLY polished the edges of the extractor to ease the passage of the cartridge rims as things go back into battery.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

Captain Wheelgun posted this 11 March 2012

Another update on the EBBG - I did some careful filing on the extractor, and I also took raytear's advice and did some polishing on the bolt face. I chucked an empty .32 case in my drill, applied some Flitz polish to it, then ran it at low speed pressed against the bolt face.

The combination of these tweaks seems to have done the trick. I went to the range a few days ago to test it. It still sometimes chokes on the first round, but after that it runs through the rest of the magaztne without a hitch. I may go back and hit the bolt face with the drill again to see if it will get the first round feeding better.

While I was there I also tried out my first .32 handloads. After doing a lot of reading here and on other forums, I bought some Hornady 90 gr SWCs. After setting up some dummy rounds to test feeding in my Colt 1903, I loaded 50 of them over 1.8 gr of W231. They fed and cycled perfectly in the 1903, and surprisingly, also in the AP-74.

Here's a target from the rifle when I was function testing it....

Offhand with Prvi Partizan 71 gr FMJ

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 March 2012

Thanks for the update! the Colt seems to shoot well also. Ric

Attached Files

raytear posted this 12 March 2012

Probably telling you what you already know, but remember to use care when polishing the bolt face so that you do not inadvertently increase the headspace by actually removing metal from it. Just needs a smooth sliding surface for the brass.

Sounds like a really fun piece of ordnance you have there.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

Captain Wheelgun posted this 07 May 2012

Another update on the Evil Black Bunny Gun.....

I did a little more polishing on the bolt face & extractor, and the first round feed jams are gone. I took it to the range along with my new-to-me Keltec P32, and it ran everything I fed it, both FMJs and my handloads. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to retrieve the target, so no pics.

Next I'm going to put a scope on it using a carry-handle mount, and I'm going to try to fit some A2 round handguards to it.

Attached Files

Captain Wheelgun posted this 14 July 2012

It is with great sadness that I report that the Evil Black Bunny Gun is no more. My house was broken in to a couple of weeks ago, and one of the items taken was the E.B.B.G. The SOBs didn't get the magazine, so they are going to have a very difficult time shooting it.

:shock:: :cusout:

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 14 July 2012

Captain Wheelgun wrote: It is with great sadness that I report that the Evil Black Bunny Gun is no more. My house was broken in to a couple of weeks ago, and one of the items taken was the E.B.B.G. The SOBs didn't get the magazine, so they are going to have a very difficult time shooting it.

:shock:: :cusout:

I feel your pain & know it well. Several years ago my house was also broken into. They stole a Taurus PT92 9MM, a Ruger Model 77 Mark II 7MM Rem. Magnum with a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9x32 scope, a laptop computer & $64.00 in change. It was then that I knew what it felt like to be raped. I now have video cameras watching all sides of the house tied to a system with a 250 gig hard drive, a gunsafe that is bolted to the floor & wall and a very protective watchdog on the inside. My dog on the inside is probably the biggest deterrent. Would be thieves simply don't like dealing with dogs. My dog is just a nice Shetland Sheepdog and most of the time very gentle. But when it comes to protecting me or the house, he goes from zero to bitch in a heartbeat . . . & that little guy is fast! I don't inderstand it.

Growing up in rural PA in the 60's, life was simple & safe. The guns stayed on the gun rack. The only reason they came off the rack was to hunt or target shoot. There was simply no other reason to use them. Hurting someone with them or using them for illegal means never entered our minds. The house was always unlocked & the keys stayed in the car.

Pat R.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 14 July 2012

Cap't I'll keep an eye out if i visit any pawn shops. But I'd be surprised if they made it this far North.

Attached Files

Close