custom sizing die??

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 13 December 2011
John Grantham posted this 30 November 2011

I would like to have a .300 sizing die.  I contacted Lyman and they don't offer custom dies.   Who is the next choice out there? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 30 November 2011

Chris Smith is one of the forum advertizers and makes dies for Lyman/RCBS as well as Star lube sizers.  I have a couple of his star dies and they work well for me.  I have an old email address for him, but his information should come up on one of the advertizing banners if the forum can stay up long enough.   He is located in Springfield, MO if I recall correctly.  Duane

Attached Files

Maven posted this 30 November 2011

CBA member and author smokiejoe (Joe Wiest) may also make a custom sizing die for you.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 30 November 2011

300 Savage or 300 Win Mag? Or neck sizing die only?

Because I said so!

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 30 November 2011

shastaboat wrote: 300 Savage or 300 Win Mag? Or neck sizing die only? bullet die

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 01 December 2011

JOHN, YOU MIGHT DO BETTER WITH A PUSH THROUGH TYPE DIE LIKE THE LEE .   bASE FIRST SIZING DIES WHEN SUBJECTED TO A LOT OF FORCE TEND TO BEND THE BULLET.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 01 December 2011

Duh...., What is the cartridge you intend to shoot a .300 cast bullet in?

Because I said so!

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 01 December 2011

shastaboat wrote: Duh...., What is the cartridge you intend to shoot a .300 cast bullet in? 30BR   I have a bore rider that comes out of the mould at .301 on the nose. The bore measures .3006.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 02 December 2011

The info I have is that the 30BR is.308 diameter.

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan30BRBenchRest.htm

Because I said so!

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 02 December 2011

What you may want is a “taper die” to only size the nose portion and leave the base relatively untouched.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 02 December 2011

I've purchased three sizing dies from Buffalo Arms in .432 , .433 and .461 . And the .432” and .461” have worked very nicely . Only reason I haven't used the .433” die is because my bullets have shot so nicely with the .432” die that I saw no reason to use the other , but I still have it just in case !

These dies are special made in the machine shop at Buffalo Arms or atleast thats what they said . Some times they have them already in stock as I think they try to keep a couple for the more asked for sizes on hand at all times .

Now be prepared as they're not inexspensive however not terribly over priced either . If memory serves I paid $40 or $45 each for them plus shipping .

Here's a link to their main page ,

http://www.buffaloarms.com/>http://www.buffaloarms.com/

You should be able to work your way around and find the sizing dies !

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 03 December 2011

John Grantham wrote: shastaboat wrote: Duh...., What is the cartridge you intend to shoot a .300 cast bullet in? 30BR   I have a bore rider that comes out of the mould at .301 on the nose. The bore measures .3006.  What alloy are you using ?

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 December 2011

Wayne S wrote: John Grantham wrote: shastaboat wrote: Duh...., What is the cartridge you intend to shoot a .300 cast bullet in? 30BR   I have a bore rider that comes out of the mould at .301 on the nose. The bore measures .3006.  What alloy are you using ? you might be able to drop .00025 in nose Dia. with less tin in your alloy.  "BUCKSHOT” over on the cast boolits  forum makes both push through & standard H&I dies to your specs.  You  also need a standard type AND a SWC  style  flat top punch that will fit the OD of your bullets base I tried Buckshot when I wanted the .432” and .433” dies . Was gonna send him a pair of old used H&I dies I had in .429” and let him open them for me but he didn't wanna do it for me .

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 04 December 2011

I think he only makes his own stuff, and dosn't deal with others  dies

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 December 2011

Wayne S wrote:  I think he only makes his own stuff, and dosn't deal with others  dies That would have been fine also . But the way he answered me at the time it sounded like he didn't wish to be bothered .

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 05 December 2011

You might try Jim Doughty over on the Cast Boolits forum in the vendor sponsor slot. It is reported that he does good work, and at reasonable prices. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 13 December 2011

decided against the die. Ordered a custom mold instead. Thanks for all the input.

Attached Files

Close