PIG HUNTING

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 23 April 2012
shastaboat posted this 15 December 2011

OK, here goes my request and delimma:

1. I decided to get back into pig hunting in the last couple of years since drawing deer tags has gotten to be a problem and traveling to hunt elk in CO was also getting expensive and only once a year.
  2. I prefer wild boar meat over deer venison. (generally)
  3. I can hunt pigs all year.
  4. I shot a nice 225# sow last April but that hunting opportunity may have dried up in N. CA which is only 3 hour drive away. Jacketed bullet in 7x57.
  5. I have decided to do all my current and future hunting with cast bullets. Will be using 8x57 175 gr. Lee at 2175 fps and next 7x57 and .308 Win.
  6. I'm 62 years young, retired, and in very good physical condition. Politicaly on the right.
  7. I do not want to hunt with a guide or dogs and have to pay land access fees. I'd rather work for a landowner fixing fence or whatever for land access privledge.
  8. Would like to find a hunt buddy or buddies who want similar or same. Any takers?

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
raytear posted this 16 December 2011

Shastaboat,

Move to Texas and I can probably get you on land for going after hogs without having to pay an access fee! :D   The wild boar/feral hog/boar-feral cross critters are more numerous than people in the Lone Star State.  If I lived in Nevada or nearby, I'd sure be your huckleberry on that one. They are fun, sometimes exciting, to hunt and can be quite tasty.  Shoot a good sized one and the pounds of meat per grain of bullet is a VERY high ratio.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 17 December 2011

raytear, Maybe I could fly out and meet you there. Or drive. I have gotten invites to Texas to hunt.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 30 January 2012

OK, I booked a hunt the week of March 5 in NE TX, S OK. Pretty reasonable priced. Re-check air rates and decided to drive out with a hunting partner. 1800 miles, one way, but will be able to bring back meat without air freight. $125.00 a day each hunter with lodging included, meals extra but assured reasonable depending on need. I'll provide the outfitter's info after we get back and can report. Fee's include 2 hogs per day per hunter, no kill fee. I'll be using 8x57 Sporterized Spanish Mauser 98 18.5” bbl with LEE bullet casting WW at 178 gr. infront of 27 gr of 2400 chroned at 2175 fps. I'll take pics and post results when we get back.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 31 January 2012

Come to my highlands ,in the Appennine ,high Trebbia valley.

The fee for guests is 9 euros, hogs are driven  by dogs.

The meat is divided between the 20-25 honters in the team.

It's only a couple of hours from Genoa airport,

Here you can see a lucky day ,12 of them.

Attached Files

Feeding the beasts in the off season.

An automatic camera.

Attached Files

I am an unrepentant sinner ,an absolute show off.

I enjoy too much the boar hunting,and the camaraderie of my team.

Here is my ambush sie ,in the snow ,in the crossing of many game trails.

Obviously a Marlin 44m,with cast bullets,Lees 300 grainers.

Beg your pardon for invading your thread.

Attached Files

And now a pic of our amateur butchers at work.

The boars  eat only natural  food , there are no open garbage dump in our mountains,their meat is very good and with very little fat.

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 31 January 2012

Nice pictures Giorgio, That hog is a lot bigger than they look in the bed of the vehicle. Sounds like a lot of fun. I have heard that there are a few ferrol hogs here in Arizona but they are hard to find.

Attached Files

The one butchered was big,but as usual in the USA,and expecially in texas,you have very giant animals,probabily domestic hogs turned wild durig the depression ,escaping from farms ,who went bankrupt , and mixed with russian feral  boars .

Your whitetail deer is actually a roe deer  in double size.

Your luck,in many states your pigs are classified as varmints ,so you are free to hunt them all year round.

In Italy we have open season from the end of september to Christmas.

Eight months to wait.

I'll have to cast and shoot and train ,I am no good at shooting at fast moving targets ,and in  my steep mountains they do run.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 01 February 2012

Giorgio, again your fine photos make me home sick for the mountians of Romania!

I am now shooting a 1894 .44mag along with the 1895 45-70 for the .44 mag I am haveing great results with the Ranch dogs 265gr and 300gr cast bullets!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 18 March 2012

Well so far this year I've been skunked in my quest with my 8x57. I missed a shot in TX a couple of weeks ago. I just shot high and grazed one at dark over a feeder. I've since invested in a high powered LED scope mounted flashlight that will be the ticket out to at least 100 yards. Going back to N CA next week but unfortunately CA is all spot and stalk. (no night light or baiting)

BY the way my hunting partner shot a 100# pig with jacketed .270 Win at the outfitter I mentioned but I personally would not recommend the guy. All hunting was on public grounds and his facilities were 3 rate.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 19 March 2012

giorgio de galleani wrote: The one butchered was big,but as usual in the USA,and expecially in texas,you have very giant animals,probabily domestic hogs turned wild durig the depression ,escaping from farms ,who went bankrupt , and mixed with russian feral  boars .

Your whitetail deer is actually a roe deer  in double size.

Your luck,in many states your pigs are classified as varmints ,so you are free to hunt them all year round.

In Italy we have open season from the end of september to Christmas.

Eight months to wait.

I'll have to cast and shoot and train ,I am no good at shooting at fast moving targets ,and in  my steep mountains they do run. Giorgio: Like hunters and fishermen everywhere quarry in the USA just grows faster after it has been killed than when it is alive. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 30 March 2012

Heading back over to CA this Sunday for a week of pig hunting. Wish me luck. Will report if successful. I didn't buy the LED Lazer lite but bought an Elusive Wildlife XLR 250 LED flashlight that either barrel mounts or scope mounts. WOW, this light puts out a beam and actuall reaches out to 200+ yards. Will be great for TX but a no-go in Clifornica. Good for NV jacks as well.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 30 March 2012

The Italian greeting is :in bocca al lupo ! and you reply : crepi il lupo!

Translation:

In the wolfe's mouth     

Let the wolf die

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 31 March 2012

I remember when I was working on Sport Fishing and Diving Boats, and a diver would bring a nice lobster on board or someone would catch a big fish.  They would start with it weighs; 5,6,7,8,9,10 lbs or more.  When weighed it usually went somewhere around the lowest weight mentioned.

Of course I would never participate in such a questionable activity myself. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Bob Krack posted this 19 April 2012

x101airborne over on the castboolits site offers hunts. Victoria area in Texas - southeast kinda.

A message to him would bring results that I believe you might enjoy. Trey is his name, tell him I sent you (or not - if you prefer).

Bob

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 23 April 2012

Johnny Breedlove wrote: Nice pictures Giorgio, That hog is a lot bigger than they look in the bed of the vehicle. Sounds like a lot of fun. I have heard that there are a few ferrol hogs here in Arizona but they are hard to find.

There's quite a few places that are supposed to have hogs. I heard of some down by Wilcox but my contact down there won't tell. :X A fw years back on a fruitless deer hunt, my two hunting buddies went one way while I took off on a different track. I should have gone with them. When we met back at the truck, they said they'd seen, their words, “The biggest damned javelinas they'd ever seen.” When I asked how big, and they told me, I said they should have shot a few because they were feral pigs and protected. By then it was getting too dark to go back and make a try for them. I've since bought an electronic caller that has a baby pig in distress call which just might ge a few to come in. It's not the afest area to hunt though as the drug smugglers have started using the trails. I do know a few people who have access to a few ranches that have a pig problem but they're so darn busy we haven't had a chance to set up a hunt. Shastaboat. I lived in Reno for a whil back in 1968 and 69. Then in 1970 I finally got a job I'd been trying for for over 6 years. Ended up in Winnemuca. :shock: Then, after ten years I got transfered to Tucson. Even no after all these years, I still miss that little cowtown. Johnny. If you ever get down to Tucson, give me a shout At the worst you'd get stuck with my coffee and talk guns and at the best, time allowing, we might sneak down to the santa Cruz and try and scae up a pig. :cool: Paul B.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 23 April 2012

OK, reporting in on last weeks pig hunt attempt in Red Bluff, CA area. Pigs were brooding up. Heard them squeeling, grunting and banging around but still no see. Going back on 4/30.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Close