Selecting loads for 45 acp

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 21 February 2015
slide posted this 18 January 2012

Brand new to the site,first post. My Son and I have gotten into reloading and casting. We bought (so far) three Mihec molds. Two of which are 45 acp. One is for soilds and the other is for hollowpoints. Both molds are supposed to drop 200 grains at .452 which is what our guns like. The diameter is perfect but with the alloy we were using the soilds dropped at 213 grains and the hollowpoints at 203 grains. We were using range lead that was all 38 wadcutter bullets. No idea what the composition was. It was all we had to use. The Lyman 4th. Edition Cast Handbook has three loadings.Two for 200 grain bullets,Lyman 452460 and 452630. The third is a Saeco #058 215 grain bullet. All these appear to be semi-wadcutter design . The 213 grain bullet we have is a round flat point. The 203 grain bullet is a round nose with a hollowpoint in it. Which of these loading should we use and for what bullet weight? We are going to start at the min. loadings and work up. O.A.L. on our guns is 1.205". Will be using Federal cases and Federal LP primers. We have Bullseye,Unique,Clays, 231, and a little Titegroup. Wanted to see what you guys thought.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 18 January 2012

Pressure variation between barrels will be more than 13 grains in a 200 grain bullet. Seating depth in more a factor than bullet weight. Check OAL more carefully, as that effects feeding and pressure.

My choice is 4.2 grains of Bullseye, 5.0 grains of WW231, 5.5 grains of Unique, but no idea about the others.

FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 18 January 2012

slide; I have that Mihec mould in the hollow point version.

You can safely load 3.5-5.0 grs of Bullseye. You can also use 5.5-7.3 grs of Unique.

Keep in mind, that with the lighter loads you may have to use a lighter recoil spring to get proper functioning. If you are using the standard spring, start on the low end and quit when you get enough powder to give reliable functioning. If you are using for hunting or Self Defense, then the heavier loads listed will do the job.

You will probably get a better casting alloy if you add 2% tin (by weight) to your alloy.

My standard alloy for .45 Auto bullets in both 1911's and revolvers is WW+2% tin. Better accuracy is typically had with a somewhat harder alloy than you are using.

Dale53

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 18 January 2012

For close to 40 years of Bullseye Pistol competition, my 50 yard load consisted of 4.2 gr. Bullseye behind a Hensley and Gibbs semi-wadcutter cast of wheel weights, lino, or any mix of the two. Bullet weight varied a little, depending on what mix was in the pot, but stayed right around 200 gr. When I was doing my part it would stay in the high 90's. It worked well enough I never felt the need to try other powders in the old Clark heavy slide.

Wes

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 18 January 2012

welcome Slide, i use a lee 200 RNFP and loads consistant with what others said. these work well for me. a little experementing with the loads will tell you what our gun will work best with. good lick. m

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 January 2012

+1 on the 4.2 grs. of Bullseye with any bullet in the .45 ACP from 185 to 255 grains.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 19 January 2012

I have just reviewed my comments above. I neglected to mention that when I am using a hollow point cast bullet, my alloy is 20/1. I sacrifice some accuracy to get reliable expansion.

For the solids, I still can recommend my usual WW's+2% tin.

As an aside, my standard target load is 4.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent. If using this in a 1911, you may find it necessary to use a lighter recoil spring than standard.

I use an 18# spring for full loads (a 16# spring is standard). Springs sag over time and need to be checked from time to time. A weak spring for the load can be hard on the gun leading to a cracked slide.

Dale53

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 19 January 2012

I have the Mihec 200 LSWC H&G #68 clone mold. Casts nearly a perfect 200 grn bullet w/ WW + 2& tin.

My gun loves that bullet over 5.0 grns of Bullseye. Also going to try 4.0-4.2 Bullseye for a bit more economy.

Attached Files

slide posted this 19 January 2012

Thanks for the replies,a lot of good info. This next part is for Dale53. Both of our guns are 5” kimbers. I am not sure on my son's gun but mine has a 16# spring. Both guns have probably not had 500 rounds through them. This is my and him's first 1911. Not used to all this break-in and change out the springs but I do like the platform. I am a retired police officer. In my day we carried revolvers. Smith and Wesson model 66 was our issue gun. I am looking forward to our ammo test.I will let you guys know what happens.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 January 2012

It is normal for recoil springs in the 1911 to take some set after firing a few hundred rounds. The 16# spring was standard for GI hardball and works fine for normal loads. The 18# spring will not function well below 5 grs. of Bullseye and 200 gr. bullet such as H&G #68, but saves wear and tear. Gold Cup wadcutter spring was 14#, “occasional” use of hardball OK, but not for steady diet. Heavier than 18# spring you need to start adjusting other stuff on gun, not recommended.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 January 2012

Ed is “spot on” as usual.

Dale53

Attached Files

EasyEd posted this 04 July 2012

Back in my bullseye days I loaded 3.6 gr BE with the Lyman -460 or H&G 68. Three point 5 wouldn't reliably function the gun. And I have stayed with the standard recoil spring - Jim Clark, Bob Day, and others said do it, and I did it. I have some MH HP's cast up and will check them out this week as to what load they like, and whether TL will work OK with them. My limited experience suggests it will, for .45 velocities. Been rather involved in other things recently and am behind in my casting/shooting.

Attached Files

Sonny Edmonds posted this 22 December 2012

I realize this is old.... When ever I read about someone wondering about inconsistent cast bullet weights, it almost always follows they have a questionable alloy. I like to use alloy I can have an idea of it's composition and alloy. My first smelting of wheel weights told me I didn't know what it was. Currently my .45 ACP bullets are being cast with Magnum Shot (95/5), and a known amount of tin. It is a highly repeatable alloy for my use. And I'm happy with it. For my rifle casting, I use a certified Lyman #2 alloy, so I can eliminate any wanderings about my alloy in those. And have repeatable castings down the road.

Here I was pondering 1/10's of grain differences...

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/testing_45s_first_rounds/>http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/testing45sfirstrounds/

The ruler was quite handy to separate the differing weights. It was kind of a moot point anyway, I never considered myself above mediocre as a pistol shot. .> LMAO! Still, my ammo is above reproach, unlike my aim anymore. :wtf:

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 23 December 2012

Hands down #68 H&G cast from wheelweights and enough added tin to make them fill out well. I make my alloy in 50# lots so I get a few bullets before I have to work it out again. I go by weight and use a SAECO hardsness tester to hold around 6-7 for pistol bullets. I will add lino if I have to increase hardness.

Bullseye 4.5gr or 231 4.4gr gives me more accuracy then I can handle in a Springfield TGI II, S&W 625, and Colt GC, among others. The old M1917's even like it. Mostly RP brass in ACP and RP Auto Rim brass for the revolvers. Rem primers. When I miss, it is not the gun or ammo.

These bullets shoot so well RicInYakima exclaimed “Where in hell did you get these loads"? Now that is a compliment!

Ric in action---:rpdfire:

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 December 2012

Uncle Russ in my man for 45 ACP loads. Not only is he a good reloader, he has a Ranson Pistol Rest (and knows how to use it!). Plus he shoots OK, too.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 18 June 2013

Would the above mentioned loads of 231 and Bullseye be appropriate with a factory swaged lead 230 gr. RN such as Speer offers in bulk? These things are dead soft, gooey too. I have a lot and would like to shoot them. Any one used them?

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 18 June 2013

They will shoot just fine.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Sawfish posted this 19 September 2013

In these times of component famine, I have taken to experimenting with those things on hand. I rediscovered an old favorite: 5.0 of Red Dot with a 200 gr. SWC in the .45 ACP. 859 fps in my gun, and very accurate.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." Rudyard Kipling

Attached Files

kalva444 posted this 01 October 2013

Welcome to Friendswood Bullet Co. We sell precision accuracy premium quality hard cast lead bullets near Houston, Texas, in boxes of 500 ea. Our alloy is composed of 92% lead, 6% antimony & 2% tin with a Brinell Hardness Number of 18 from Lead Products Co., Houston. As a competitive pistol shooter you need a precision product that is consistent and performs well. We have your bullets! Our bullets have been used to set National records. Order your Hard Cast lead bullets from Friendswood Bullet Co. and start setting your own records. All products Ship insured USPS Priority Mail at the rate of $14.50 per 65lbs., which works out to 3000 bullets for all bullets weighting in at 140-grains or less or 2000 bullets weighing under 220-grains or less or 1500 bullets weighing over 230-grains or more. Please note that our shipping fee includes our personal guarantee that a lost shipment will be replaced with no hassle. For that click this javascript:emoticon(':fire', 'images/emoticons/fire.gif') cast bulletshttp://www.friendswoodbullet.com/>

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 16 February 2014

For years, I've been using 6.0 gr. Unique with any bullet weight from 185 to 230. I shoot 4 different .45's from the Colt Officer's model to a Commander to a 1911 Colt, (5” barrel) and a 1911 Taurus. (the most accurate one of the bunch.) I use the stock pistol, and, so far, after many years, there have been no malfunctions or parts breakage. Of course, there's always tomorrow.....

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

locksmith1 posted this 23 May 2014

I have been using 700x because I have so much of it. Unique is my next choice Bob

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 24 May 2014

Not much I can add to what Ed and others have said. I favor Bulleye powder and use the 4.2 grain load for most casual shooting. To duplicate factory loads for more serious uses I will go to 4.5 up to 4.7 grains. I took keep 16 lb. springs in my three 1911 pistols. I have used Unique, AA5 and 231 with good results, but keep going back to Bulleye.

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 21 February 2015

You will fully enjoy Clays under those hollow points in the rough range of 3.5-3.7 gr. I would say 3.5 will be a VERY light load that you could see some cycling issues with, but 3.7 should be very good. I'm basing this on my notes that show a min to max range of 3.6 to 4.3gr for a 200gr lead bullet.

I think it's unlikely any reasonable 1911 has been built since 1940 that can't handle well in excess of SAAMI recommended max pressure for 45 Auto. I think this particular cartridge has a LOT of wiggle room when it comes to published 'max' loads. I think you're quite safe moving around the ranges published for 200 gr bullets, even if you're pushing 213s. Like, REALLY safe.

For fun loads in the action games, Clays in 45 Auto is excellent, IMO. I'd say conservatively I've loaded 25,000 rds of 45 Auto using Clays, and none using Unique or Bullseye. So, to me, that classifies me as a newbie just because to me if you haven't loaded 45 with Bullseye then you haven't really loaded 45. But, Clays works, and it works well. I just dropped a couple hundred Mihec hollow points last night for 10mm...I love that guy's molds--they simply work. These may be the most accurate bullets I have for 40SW, and I've found that a tough cartridge to 'get working'. http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Bongo_Boy/media/Handloading/More185Devastators_zpsbccbdb2b.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Close