Husqvarna Swedish Mausers

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 01 February 2012
6pt-sika posted this 19 January 2012

I went today and viewed a pair of Husqvarna Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 . One is dated 1941 and has the normal straight bolt handle while the other is dated 1942 and has a bent bolt handle which “appears” to be original . Exterior on both are about 90% and the bores are very good to excellent .

I left absentee bids of $375 each on them . How much did I leave over the going rate for these did I bid ?

And how have you guys found these for military cast bullet shooters IE match rifles ?

Thanks in advance !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 January 2012

hey when you are in love you don't worry about the price of the .....uh....date.

you might be a bit $ high for an average 96 swede, but the going rate for swedes keeps rising.

i had three of the short m38, they were not quite as accurate as the 03, or the schmidt, or the mosin....as an average; any one rifle could be out of the average.

with my borescope i noticed that the swedish bores are extremely good, but the chamber jobs are not so good.....so for a shooter it would be very interesting to set the barrel back about one thread and cut a match chamber....bet that would be a sweety worth a hug (g).

btw, new in white m38 barrels are available,i got two for $50 ea back when.  i think i still have 1 or 2 if interested.....also some new rem brass...

and the cock on closing is just fine when you get used to it.

ken

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 20 January 2012

I sure wish I'd bought a dozen of them when Big 5 sold them for $79.99.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 20 January 2012

My Carl Gustav groups well when I keep the speeds down. It was made in 1916.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 January 2012

Well after reading most of this and the same question I asked on another forum , I hope one of two things happens !

1. I get them both for about $200 a piece !

2. that someone bids them both up over $375 and I get neither !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 January 2012

So traditionally when Swedish Mauser collector/shooters are together what do they say the better one is if all facors are close to the same ?

The Husqvarna or the Carl Gustaf ?

Attached Files

curator posted this 22 January 2012

I have a couple of each which I shoot with cast bullets. I don't see much diference between the two manufacturers but I have found that accuracy does improve significantly if you index the cartridges, Perhaps due to chambering issues mentioned by Ken Campbell.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 22 January 2012

I'll find out from the auction company most likely tuesday whether I got one or both of them .

Attached Files

I'm getting a little curiouse to find out whether we got either or both of the Mausers !

Also am wanting to take pics of the one with the bent bolt handle to post and see if I can ascertain whether it was from a refit at the factory/armory or if some bubba did it !

If I get either or both of these I supose I'll start up with them and my grandfathers old 6.5 Arisaka at the same time !

Already have brass and Redding dies for the Arisaka . So if I get a Swede I suppose I'll need a set of Redding dies and a 100 pieces of Lapua brass !

Attached Files

Hmmmm , just went on Midways site and put a set of standard Redding dies and 100 pieces of Winchester brass in my shopping cart !

Woulda chose Lapua but thats on back order !

Yeah I know , this is in anticipation .>

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 January 2012

as i remember an m96 (long rifle ) with a bent bolt AND a stock cutout relief under the bolt handle is special.  if you “win"  (g)   this lemme know, i think this was in _MAUSER bolt RIFLES,   _Lud Olson.

some of the m38 short rifles had bent bolts, but they were common.

btw, for you book guys. my autographed copy is available. no pm. ken

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 23 January 2012

Ken Campbell, Iowa wrote: as i remember an m96 (long rifle ) with a bent bolt AND a stock cutout relief under the bolt handle is special.  if you “win"  (g)   this lemme know, i think this was in _MAUSER bolt RIFLES,   _Lud Olson.

some of the m38 short rifles had bent bolts, but they were common.

btw, for you book guys. my autographed copy is available. no pm. ken

I was told by a friend on another forum that in all likelyhood this was one that had gone back to the armory and been refitted or however they care to express it from a striaght bolt to a bent one . As it doesn't look like a Jimmy Bubba did the work .

He told me from what I said he thought it was a 96/38 . And I do think it was a bit shorter then the other one .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 23 January 2012

Well I got a call from the auction house a little while ago !

Seems I got both rifles .

I plan on going to get them tommorrow .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 January 2012

aha!   the game is afoot!

be sure to slug the throats... mine were large and long .....  remember, if the bullet does not fit,  you might as well quit !    (g)

btw, i still have a couple new  special order oversized lee 6.5 molds from back then if any interest ... ...i am cleaning out my shop and  finding the most amazing things.  oh, i found some boxes marked ...  accessories swede 38 .... if interested, i will dig them out and see what's in them.   heh, i bot some lapua 6.5 brass for 24 cents back then; all gone but found some new rem brass i dont need.

you mighta temporarily paid a tad much for the swedes, but i am eating my heart out... i really liked my little m38 s .......   congrats

ken

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 January 2012

Thanks !

I'll get them tommorrow but I doubt I'll be able to do anything with them before the 8th of February .

I'm going to leave this coming friday it appears for Arkansas for 10 days . Hopefully I'll be able to smite a couple wold piggies with my cast bullet 44 MAG and 444 as well as a couple old shotguns I have with handloaded buckshot !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 January 2012

Picked them both up a couple hours ago .

The bent bolt rifle has all matching numbers ! The action , bolt and buttplate all match . Didn't see any other places to check .

The straight bolt rifle has a mismatched bolt to the action and buttplate which do match .

Attached Files

docbob posted this 01 February 2012

6Pt, The long Swede with straight bolt handle is the model 1896. If both of yours have 24” barrels the one is factory modified to that length from a model '96 and would have the straight bolt handle. It would be a 96/38. The other one with the down turned bolt handle is the model 1938. I have a model '96 (1904) that shoots good at least with jacketed (shhh!) bullets and just acquired a M38 Husqvarna (1942)with a beautiful bore. Both are all matching. I gave 250 for the '96 and 310 for the '38. These are very well made rifles, for sure. Far more '96 rifles were made than 96/38 and 38 short rifles combined. Docbob

Attached Files

Close