Moderate .32 loads & smallgame(?)

• 13K Views
  • Last Post 05 April 2013
Davo posted this 25 January 2012

Terminal Ballistics of .30/.32 cal. on smallgame...(?)

I've shot some edible small stuff w/ .31 to .36 cal. roundballs and a .22LR or Short case-ful of Red Dot in various rifles, but what I shot mostly was 1,650 fps 115 gr. FN from .32-20 rifles, mostly for plinking “fun", some competitions, and once in awhile  offhand headshots on smallgame out to 30 yds. I sometimes carried roundball loads in Marlin .32-20s w/ one chambered and one on the cart. lifter for a “two-shot repeater".

I can no longer take for granted the ability to “hold hard” or sight and shoot a rifle quickly enuff to shoot like that:(, so I am asking about body shots w/ RN .32's @ 800 to 900 fps. Does such a load kill quickly and reliably with a decent shoulder/heart/lung hit? Minimal battered meat/bloodshot?(I'me thinking mainly of squirrel, grouse and cottontails as basic ingrediants for tastey/healthy meals :D)(Grouse soaked overnight in cheap wine, cooked and served w/ wild rice is my favorite meal!... “Grice” it's called in our little cabin! :-)

Ed has got me lusting after a long-barreled .32 Beretta M-70, (since I like my very reliable 40-year-old .22 M-70 so well),  and if I use X/S white bead front sight and a generous rear notch I might be able to see sights well enough and have enough sight radius, that with alot of practice I just might be able to take smallgame with a pistol again :-)

Never shot game with a .32 auto..... .32 H&R's, .32-20's, light loads in 30-30, even one squirrel off a tree limb thru the roof of his mouth & out the back of his head w/ a  cast 200 gr. .44Spl. as he was scolding me ;-) ,  but no “real-world” experience w/.32 acp, so I'de like to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any answers! Davo

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 25 January 2012

Small game harvesting doesn't take much power at all. You sound like you have plenty of power with 32-20 caliber bullets at 800-900 fps. Lead bullets are not going to have any explosive expansion at that velocity especially with pointed or round noses. Flat nose bullets will expand pretty well at that velocity if cast in soft lead.

I actually hunt squirrels with flat point (blunts) arrows and a low poundage 32 pound pull bow. Chest hits rarely penetrate but they stop the heart very well and don't mess up the hind quarters at all. I actually have a number of nice preserved squirrel skins with NO HOLES in them from being taken this way. My shots are usually 10-20 yards. I can't hit them farther than that with my bow. My arrows hardly go 200 fps .

Your bullets at 600 fps would be more powerful than my arrows and your shots would likely be much more accurate with a rifle than my bow. You don't have to pierce through a squirrel to stop its heart with blunt force trauma like I do with blunt tipped arrows.

Your likely to discover that the heavier bullets at slow speed are much more accurate than light bullets are, so don't hesitate to try the heavier bullets from the 32-20 at velocities about 600 fps. This sounds like a good short range very accurate combination to me. Your extreme range will be considerably less than .22 rim-fire that will sail over a mile in extreme range. So you have a better safety feature with the heavier bullets at 600 fps.

If you can get less than 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards with a light load you have a good squirrel rifle!!!!

Gary

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 25 January 2012

I found that a RN bullet in my .32-20 did not stop rabbits with the chest shot at all well even with the velcotiy in the rimfire range. Changed to the FN bullet and VIOLA. Our rabbits are a bit bigger than your cottontails however and can absorb a power of lead. Our European hares even more so.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 26 January 2012

Jeff beat me to it.

I have used 25/20 flat nosed bullets at relatively low velocity and learned that it is a SUPERIOR edible small game load. I generally go for a head shot but for those times that Mr. Squirrel doesn't show his head, a hit behind the shoulder reliably brings him out of the trees. Further, it works well on bunnies (both cottontail and snowshoe rabbits).

Most of my rabbits have been taken with flat nosed bullets in everything from .32 S&W Long up through .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .44 Special and .45 ACP. All work well with flat nosed cast bullets on edible small game. I don't have to shoot them twice but yet they “stop” well.

A FLAT nosed bullet of 75-100 grs in the .32/20 ahead of 4.0 grs of Unique is what you want.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 26 January 2012

I've shot more cotton tails with an air rifle than anything else. If you can get good accuracy you will do fine with any of the bullets that you've mentioned I think. Squirrels drop with .22RF CB longs through the chest.

Attached Files

Al_Sway posted this 28 January 2012

I have shot our snowshoe hares with a .32, using both a 95 grain FN and roundball. With the 95 grain the rabbits flop over with a head or chest hit. With the round ball and a body hit they took longer to fall over. The ball loads were going about 950 fps, and the FN around 1050 fps. I much prefer the FN for rabbit hunting now.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 January 2012

Saeco #325 98-gr. SWC has large meplat. At 700-850 fps is perfect for small game in a .32 revolver or .32 ACP which feeds it reliably.

Best description is the article by J.V.K. Wagar in the August, 1931 issue of The American Rifleman on pgs. 14-15, entitled “Almost, the Best Small Pistol.”

When I first started loading for the .32 ACP loading manuals then available were of little help. I stumbled upon Wagar's article and found it an entertaining treasure trove of practical information on the .32 ACP.

Wagar said that, “it has proved so useful for much of the outdoor shooting in our part of the country that ”¦ I frequently leave my heavier pistols and revolvers at home”¦

“This is not a deep wilderness side arm”¦, but as a light pistol to accompany the big rifle it has many advantages”¦ one is never hampered by its weight and bulk and it need not be left behind because the way is hard and steep or the trail long”¦

“The .32 Colt Automatic”¦ is the biggest pistol that fits comfortably into ones pockets”¦ and its owner isn't often asked by some romance filled tourist if you are a real live cowboy, so the hills are full of these pistols.”

“Practical accuracy is not of the spectacular kind”¦ I can obtain quite good accuracy holding the pistol in both hands and resting them upon my knees I can hit a 50-cent piece practically with every shot at 20 yards. ”¦ is almost ideal for strictly small game shooting, we have shot many cottontails, grouse, squirrels”¦ over 200 pieces of game in all--- and have found it unexcelled. It is just enough larger than a .22 Long Rifle to make it a more certain killer, yet destroys little more flesh and makes little more noise in the woods”¦cast bullets will give more killing power than the jacketed factory bullets. They do not expand upon flesh, but roughen when they strike bone and tear flesh rather than parting it.”

“If one has access to an Ideal No. 4 tool and mould for the .32 S&W he is well equipped”¦ The .32 S&W bullet weighs 88 grains and its diameter of .313 inch is well adapted... I have loaded many hundreds of .32 A.C. cartridges with .32 S&W tools”¦If one shoots a high-powered .30 caliber rifle Marbles adapters using the .32 A.C. cartridge can be used for small game shooting or one can use the .32 A.C. cartridge in the Winchester adapters made for firing .32 S&W cartridges in the .30-30, .30-40 and .30-‘06 rifles.

In closing, he summarized: “This is not a target arm, nor is it powerful enough for defense purposes against great beasts or armed men of great virility; but considering its short length, light weight, light report and recoil, and cheapness of ammunition, one will have difficulty in finding a more accurate, more reliable and more powerful pistol just to take along.”

Flat-nosed cast bullets are more effective than LRN or FMJ hardball. I shot at cakes of Ivory soap to compare the effect of bullet shape on impact. Lead round nose .32 S&W Long and .32 ACP hardball made clean, round 3/8 inch exits little different than those of .22 LR solids. Meister 94-grain LFNs fired from both calibers made larger, dime-sized exits with good small game potential.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 28 January 2012

My choice of .32's for the woods is a 631 (4” barrel .32 H&R Mag Kit Gun) with a 100 gr cast Keith (Group Buy mould) in .32 S&W Long cases aheadd of 2.8 grs of 231.

It works quite well for cotton tails, snowshoe rabbits, and wounded Grouse.

Dale53

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 January 2012

Davo,

The three species you asked about would fall just fine with a RN 32 bullet, if you get your CNS, heart/lung shot. However, a flat nose doubles your immediate kill target so you will not lose as many if they were close to cover.

I have been using Lyman #313249 the little RN 32 S&W (84 grains from WW's plus 2% tin) bullet sized with a flat punch to make a flat nose out of it. Works well in the 32 Colt NP and the 32 ACP and feeds from my Remington 51 and Savages.

HTH< Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 February 2012

Typical results for CZ50 .32 ACP at 20 yards with NEI#82, 88-gr. flatnose with 2 grs. of Bullseye, a spiffy load.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 04 February 2012

Ed Harris; Don't you realize what a spend thrift you are? My goodness, you will only get 3500 loads per lb of Bullseye with that load.

SHAME!! ;)

Actually, I have always considered the real world performance of my .32's (good accuracy, light recoil, and excellent small game performance) but having economic benefits (lots of loads per lb. of powder, and small amounts of lead) is just an excellent side benefit.

FWIW Dale

Attached Files

Davo posted this 04 February 2012

That is real interstign about the importance of nose-form (FN vs. RN).

Long ago I found factory .38Spl. WCs WAY to detructive on smallgame

I have used #0 or #00 buckshot over a .22Short to LR caseful of Red Dot in 30-30 and then for a decade or so, in.32-20 rifles. THis was accurate enough for headshots in certain rifles with rifling compatible to the"the load". and killed squirrels & grouse better tahn .22LR RNs with shoulder/heart/lung shots. Suirresl would fall out of the trees liek a damp rag instead of running off, or deseprately holding on to twigs for minutes before cashing in their chips. (And was nearly “suppressor quiet".)

I flat-nose .22LR except for some truly effective H.P's (like Win. 40 gr. Power-Point h.p., CCI 40 gr. sub-soni h.p., etc....) A .22LR flat-nose/SGB profile, seems to kill nearly as well as a good h.p. on varmints, and to leave only a permanent wound channel about the dia. of a pencil thru shoulders of bunnies/squirrells. Any “game animal", incl. ones I am not usually going to consider for eating purposes : ground squirrels, skunks that have become pests), marmots/woodchucks and such I still want to put-down wit no histrionics...DRT/pop-'-flop, way more humanely than their “nautural predators” will treat them. With vermin, a DRT would be fine with me, but knowing you have hard-hit a stock-killing feral dog, smallgame and song-bird eradicating cat, etc., even if IS “just a FNed .22LR” , is a “good shot” even if they get away to die in the brush, in my books.

When I lived-with .32-20 for a decade, I quit even loads w/100 gr. XTP @ 1,800 fps, since an FN 100gr. @ 1,650 fps worked really well on every critter hit with it. A little “TOO well” on body-shot on edible smallgame, but at that time I was still steady enough to shot well offhand and for the head, even on grouse out to 30 yds. The roundball/very quiet load was for my own “fun” and to take smallgame very near my druggie nay-bore's places w/o them being aware of it ;-)

Now that I have had the cataract surgery thing, and have had serious sickness taek me down physically and can no longer hold steady enough off-hand to head-shoot the head of an 81 yd. steel turkey target, 4/5 on a regular basis, I am looking for relativley quiet alibers/loadings to kill smallgame just a bit more surely than w/ a .22LR, even w/FN or good h.p.

I have a fondness for .22WMR, and by neccessity have re-discovered how great a smallgame cart. the .22WRF 45 gr. gilded lead w/small meplat realy IS. A couple of good WMR rifles “0"ed @ 81 yds. shoot the Win. WRF load “on” @ 50 yds. if I hold an inch or so to the left.

I believe there is a neccessity for more than a few of us to “carry a pistol” but I am NOT packign N-frame S&W.s , SAA, or 1911's anymore! I have owned a 6".22LR M-70 Beretta for 40 years, and after reading here about the long-barreled M-70 in .32 I have determined to get my own. Just like the light rifles and shotguns I have found that I can still carry and use reasonably well. I am after a pistol that I could take smallgame at 15 or 20 yds. and not make a mess out a little critter I would like to cook-up, but that still would be a defensive firearm if needs-be....

Thanks for the input on what to expect of less radical FN/blunt RN out of .32's @ moderate vel.! (Great site here, and I think Plinker's Hollow” is my “favorite” place on it! :-) Davo

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 05 February 2012

Ed, Freedom Arms is selling primed Federal brass. Don't know how they got a bulk quantity but they have it. I assume it is because Freedom is working on their proprietary 22-327 intended for their new single shot pistol.

For most of our small game hunting no need for more than the 32 H&R Magnum and as you said, for small game the 32 S&W Long has great utility.

When I was a kid in the 1960's the old small game hunters got me interested in the 32 Long Rimfire - 82-grain bullet at 945 fps from a rifle. The 32 Long Rimfire was highly thought of by subsistence hunters in the 1920's and ‘30's Southwest.

The 1930's and ‘40's American Rifleman magazine has many short articles, letters and comments on the 25-20's, .32 Rimfires, supplemental chambers and reduced loads for larger cartridges.

When I look at new product introductions and tests today, I am confused. Dazzling pictures and no substance, gadgets and gimmicks which distract from the use of the product. I have compared product introductions from the past with those of today. The introduction of the 270 Winchester cartridge, the Winchester Model 71, the introduction of the Model 70 etc. While these articles by Al Barr and others did not involve many pictures - all black and white - every paragraph did have useful information and accurate

Reporting of results. There were no three shot groups in a pre-WWII firearm road test.

My wife and I feel the same about our 3” M31 S&W. This is a wonderful little revolver which fits the coat or blue jeans pocket perfectly - when I was a kid I wore overalls all the time (Blue Suit) but today it is just the Carhart overalls on cold days.

I hope to oneday try the LBT Ogival wadcutter in the 32's. I wish Veral would do two cavities - 1 with the plain base and a 2nd with a gas check shank.

We have two 32-20's - a Savage M-23 and a Marlin 1894CL. I do not find the 32-20 to be as useful and simple to load for as the 32 S&W Long or 32 H&R Magnum. It is not difficult to load the 32-20 but it is easier to load accurate ammunition for the 32 S&W Long.

Along these lines I have found traditional bullets driven at low velocities to be better killers on small game, provide better accuracy and longer point blank range than round balls. Short, round nose bullets driven at low velocity are easier to load and will remain inside small critters such as rabbits and skunks - just as the round ball.

One of my boyhood hero's, General Vernon E. Megee, wrote of his use of the .25 Stevens rimfire in South America, the 32 Long Colt in Central America and the 32 S&W Long in Central Texas. Megee liked the round ball in the 32-20, 32 S&W Long and in the 30-30. I don't know which of his articles had the most influence on me but the picture of him shooting his Ruger No. 1 - 32 S&W Long rifle in the April 1971 issue of Shooting Times rates high in my memory.Megee had Ruger barrel a Ruger No. 1 with a 22” .308” barrel using a 222 extractor, he dubbed this outfit his “Deluxe Squirrel Rifle.” Megee knew the 1-10” twist was too fast so he used the Speer half jacket 100-grain plinker bullets.

I agree the 32-20 loaded with cast bullets and Unique is a good small game load the 32 S&W Long loaded with lead bullets and Bullseye may well give smaller groups with less noise. The 32-20 loaded with Bullseye has never given me quite a se good results as with the smaller case.

J.R. Mattern wrote of good results with 50-grain round balls in the 32-20 loaded ahead of 4.0 grains of Bulk Shotgun powder. These loads delivering approximately 600 fps. Mattern wrote he used a lubricated wad under the round balls.

I appreciate quiet in a small game rifle and our 24” 32 H&R Magnum TC barrel allows us to shoot the occasional shot without ear protection and no ringing ears.

I too have a fondness for the 22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum. Elmer Keith wrote of the introduction of the 22 WRM in 1959 by recounting his experiences with the 22 WRF on small game. I bought one of “Elmer's Little Cuties” a 3 ½” S&W Model 51. I have a fondness for .22WMR and the Model 51 but the Model 631 4” in 32 H&R Magnum is a more versatile handgun because of the wide variety of cast bullets available to the .32 caliber cartridges.

I may be alone in this but 50 yards is a long shot for me when it comes to small game - although tall trees have a way of lengthening the distance. Low velocity .32 caliber loads are easy to hit with from 10 feet to 50 yards.

I agree with the last post, I have no need to cut an animal in two in the back yard. I prefer a lightweight, reasonably quite rifle which will generally leave its bullet in the body of a small critter. I am pleased to see I am not alone in this line of thought.

Slim

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 February 2012

Gentlemen,

What a great thread! Davo, thanks for starting this topic up.

Those that know me & know my writing & use of the 32/20, also suspect that I have a great affection for the cartridge. For me it is its versatility, the ability to kill coyotes at any angle with Lyman 311316 at 1600 f/s, quietly and surely. It is a good small edible game round, but not with that load. It requires about a 90 grains bullet at 1000 f/s or less.

Slim,

My newly made Remington RB #2 in 32 H&R is a rifle for edible small game, but it is not a dependable coyote killer for the western rancher. Now that we are having cougar problems even down here on the valley floor, it is not what you want to take to the lambing pens at night.

This winter I have been playing with some black powder 32 S&W's and round balls in the old nickel plated specials. Some are pretty accurate, but don't shoot to sights. I think these would be good game pistols, but they are loud compared to Bullseye or SR7625 loads.

Ric

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 09 August 2012

This is a bit off topic but I have also found my model 60 Chief Target to be a fine field load for edible small game. Contrary to the above comments, I have found the 148 gr solid wadcutter to be a fine load and in my experience it doesn't overly damage small game. It's effect is instant, but without serious tearing. It just puts a .38 caliber hole straight through it. If I can't manage a head shot, then a “behind the shoulder” hit does just fine. It handles the much larger snowshoe rabbits just like it does the cottontails.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 09 August 2012

Dale I prefer the dull black finish as we have quite a bit of bright sunlight which always seems to be on my back. The stainless gune like the 32 Magnum Kit Gun is a bright ball of light with the sun on your back. Like you I spray the red ramp front sight with sight black so I can see it in the field. Against our brown dirt and vegetation the red ramp is washed out and I end up holding up too much front sight.

Coincidence but I have FS 213 with Ed's article Revisiting the full charge wadcutter and the “FBI” Load out along with Ed McGiverns fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting to show a friend what has been and can be done with wadcutters.edir: sorry I was thinking of a different picture when I mentioned the blacked sight.

Slim

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 August 2012

I agree on matte blue vs. bright stainless. Full chg. WC works. No need for HP for anything under 100 lbs.

o

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 19 March 2013

I hope no one minds me re-visiting this older post. I always enjoy sharing with other woods walkers our tools of choice.

Re-reading this whole thread, I find that I disagree on “proper” handgun finish. I spent a good amount of time in Eastern Ohio grouse hunting (I live in Western Ohio and we have no grouse here). After traveling several hours to hunt (and often camp) if the weather turns bad (snow and/or rain) we often continued to hunt. When it's raining you can just about watch your handgun rust if it's not stainless. Before Ohio got concealed carry, we had to have our handguns showing (concealed handguns were illegal). The same thing applied in Michigan (at the time).

I became VERY fond of stainless handguns if they have black sights. Both my 631 and the Model 60 shown above have black sights and they have never given me a problem in the woods.

I have taken my share of large whitetail deer with a handgun but I'll tell you, it's just about as big a thrill to bring home a brace of cottontails or snowshoe rabbits with a grouse or two thrown in as it is to shoot a deer (not QUITE as big a thrill, but close). When shotgunning for grouse with my Beretta Silver Snipe is is nice to have a little revolver for the occasional cripple or sitting rabbit. It's amazing how many opportunities I have been presented with sitting rabbits when hunting grouse. I would MUCH rather put one hole through a rabbit with the handgun than shoot with the shotgun. Impresses the family to no end, also;). They appreciate not having to pick shot out of their teeth...

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 March 2013

When I was at Ruger they developed a vibratory matte finish for stainless law enforcement orders. This produced a flat gray color with no shine whatever. This was to meet specific requirements for government orders and was not used for normal production so far as In know. However, I have seen it again, so they are doing it again on some models.

It was accomplished by tumbling the parts in an industrial sized version of a Dillon case tumbler, if you could imagine one eight feet across and four feet deep. A mixture of ceramic media and soft stainless steel shot were used in a water-based solution with a very fine feldspar compound similar to Bon Ami. After tumbling the parts were cleaned and passivated in a hot chemical bath, followed by a distilled water rinse and final wash in a water soluable oil before sending the parts out to the factory floor for final assembly, inspection and test firing.

While some people did not like its appearance, the result is durable and non-reflective, sort of like light gray Parkerizing.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 21 March 2013

Ed, I guess you would have said..., but was that process similar to what they do to the 454 Super Redhawk?

Attached Files

mckg wrote: Ed, I guess you would have said..., but was that process similar to what they do to the 454 Super Redhawk?

Yes! They've done several variations, the LE versions come out darker than some others. They may skip the hot acid pickle passivating step in normal production.

Attached Files

mckg wrote: Ed, I guess you would have said..., but was that process similar to what they do to the 454 Super Redhawk?

Yes! They've done several variations, the LE versions come out darker than some others. They may skip the hot acid pickle passivating step in normal production.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 21 March 2013

Thanks Ed; but isn't the process supposed to be secret? I wouldn't want my favorite cba member to get in trouble :(.

Attached Files

blue45colt posted this 02 April 2013

Dale53

Looking at your post #15, it appears that you are only lubing the lower grove in your cast wadcutters. I have a S&W M60-4 like yours that I'm in the process of developing a good wadcutter load. I have a mold, Lyman 358495, that produces a bullet very similar to yours, may be the same. I've been lubing all of the grooves and after seeing yours, wonder if that is really necessary. I'm using 231 & Universal powders for this in the range of 3.5/4.5 gr. I don't yet know what velocities I'm getting. Do you happen to know what velocity you are running these wadcutters?

Like yourself I've found that a .38 wadcutter does minimal damage but wacks small game graveyard dead. Hunted grouse this past October in Michigan's UP & carried it in a cross draw holster...never knew it was there until needed...great gun for this application.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 04 April 2013

Blue45colt; I have not chronographed that load. However, Ed Harris has and has reported on it on this forum. In fact, I was kind of following Ed's lead...

My particular mold is the H&G #50 BB in a four cavity version (I also have used my H&G Dbl Ended Wadcutter #251 in a six cavity version with excellent results). The #50 is close enough to your Lyman 358495 that it makes little difference.

E.H. Harrison ran extensive machine rest tests and reported in the old NRA Handloading manual wherein he learned that he got substantially better accuracy when using only one grease groove. Since the development of NRA 50/50 we have been blessed with better lubes than the original bullets were designed for. I consider Carnauba Red to be in the “improved” category and find it does well with one groove (better than more). In the sixties and seventies I started using a Ransom Rest and it confirmed what E.H. Harrison (May he rest in peace) stated.

Years ago, when I was much younger, Michigan's UP was one of my favorite hunting destinations for grouse, timber doodle and snowshoe rabbit. Great experiences with great hunting companions.

Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 April 2013

Winchester Super Match (1970s yellow box) Colt Officer's Model Match 6” bbl. 783fps, 7Sd

Remington 148HBWC, Remington case, Rem. 1-1/2 primer, flush seated 3.0 Bullseye (1992 Alliant) Colt 6” 758, 20Sd 3.2 Bullseye, Colt 6” 805, 5 Sd 3.5 Bullseye, Colt 6” 847, 8 Sd

Saeco #348 146-gr. DEWC, crimped in groove 1.25” OAL 4.0 W231 Colt 6” 837fps, 11Sd 3.5 SR7625 Colt 6” 748 fps, 6Sd 3.5 Bullseye Colt 6” (pre-1976 Hercules) 863, 22Sd 3.5 Bullseye Colt 6” (1992 Alliant) 845, 11Sd

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 04 April 2013

blue45colt: Here is a thread with some more information for you:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=6625&forum_id=4>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=6625&forumid=4

Dale53

P.S. Here is “The” thread on the .38 Special (I suggest you read all of it:)): http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=1383&forumid=4

rdm

Attached Files

blue45colt posted this 04 April 2013

Dale & Ed, Thanks for the additional information...lots of good stuff here. I will try reducing the amount of lube & see what happens. I'll have to figure out how to adjust the lube/sizer to do this...may have to plug some lube holes in the die. I'm using a 50/50 mix of moly lube/beeswax per Glen Fryxell's suggestion.

Tom

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 April 2013

blue45colt wrote: Dale & Ed,Thanks for the additional information.... I will try reducing the amount of lube..... I'll have to figure out how to adjust the lube/sizer to do this...may have to plug some lube holes in the die.....Tom

In the Lyman or RCBS lubricators adjust the stop collar upward towards the die to limit how far the bullet base enters when pushed down. This is a cut & try thing.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 05 April 2013

I've been shooting 3.2g AA2 over the H&G 148 button nose for a few years now. I have no chronograph. Sometimes I lube size, some times I wet them down with Rooster Jacket after going through the Lee .358” sizing die. I get no leading with either but the tumble lubed rounds leave my gun much cleaner. No oily powder fouling. For laughs I shoot off the ground on my butt at 100 yards. I'll be sad when I run out. Run out of lube that is. No shortage of butt.

Attached Files

Close