What brand reloading dies for 44-40?

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 16 July 2012
cbshtr posted this 29 January 2012

I'm getting ready to start loading for my wife's 1894 in 44-40 and was wondering what dies work best. I will be using cast bullets at .431 to .432 diameter. I have been using Lee dies but am not sure if they will expand the cases for that diameter. Also, what is the maximum length of a loaded round that will feed thru the 1894 action? This is my first time loading for the smaller Marlin action. Thanks.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 29 January 2012

None of them will expand for larger than 0.427” bullets. The best for cast bullets is the RCBS Cowboy dies, as they are designed for cast bullets. I have very limited experience with Lee dies, and that experience was poor, but you may just have to get a Lyman expander for not less than 0.001” smaller than the bullet you want to use. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 29 January 2012

I have a set of Lee dies for the 44-40 and have never had any problems with reloading cast. The Lee dies don't size down as much as the RCBS dies do so the cases last longer. In fact with my 45 Colt, I only get 1 or 2 reloads with my RCBS dies before the cases crack. With my Lee dies the cases last forever. Glenn

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 January 2012

Glenn,

That is why I said RCBS “Cowboy” dies. I have gotten rid of all of the regular RCBS pistol dies, especially the carbide ones, made after about 1970. They sized too small, didn't expand the neck enough and were made to crimp a jacketed bullet.

Ric

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 29 January 2012

That must be my problem with my RCBS dies. Thank You Glenn

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 31 January 2012

I have a lot of Lee dies and some of the Rcbs dies.

No problem with their  powder trough exp dies,in pistols and straignt case rifles.

Most of my pistol bullets are tumble lubed and not sized.

I have loaded a few 44/40 cases for friends ,with Rcbs dies,but I do not like the caliber .

Too much variations in the guns diameters , the 44special and magnum are much easier to load.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 02 February 2012

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't looking to get a 44/40 but my wife liked the looks of the gun. I shoot a 44 mag with RCBS dies and I notice the extreme sizing that was mentioned. I'll probably go with the Lee dies unless I can come up with a good deal on the RCBS Cowboy dies. I did bid on some on Ebay but someone ran it up close to new die prices.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Reload posted this 27 March 2012

I know that I am late getting on this thread. However, some info that may help some others - the RCBS Cowboy Dies which I give a thumbs up as well only come with a .428 expander and they told me that they do not make a larger “Cowboy” one. You must order a regular 44 mag expander to get the larger size that you need.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 27 March 2012

I recently bought the Cowboy dies used but im great shape. The expander on mine measures .4315 which will work very well with the .431 throat in my wife's 1894. I was concerned about an undersized expansion plug but this one should be good. Have you used the Lee Factory Crimp Die in your 44-40 or just use the roll crimp in the seat die? Thanks for responding.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 June 2012

I use an old set of Lyman dies. One can purchase expanders for diferent diameters but I have only used mine for 0.429” bullets.

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 15 July 2012

No crimp at all. Just straighten out the bell from the “M” die. Why work the brass more to crack sooner? Correct neck tension from the expander will hold the bullet in any reasonable cast bullet load.

Attached Files

r1kk1 posted this 16 July 2012

Redding dies and a Dillon expander. I have to shoot .428” bullets for my Ruger Vaquero. This flipping revolver barrel slugs at .429-.430.

May send cylinder to cylinder smith.

Take care,

r1kk1

Attached Files

Close