NEI Moulds: I need help with some choices, please...

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 19 February 2012
Tom in Pittsburgh posted this 31 January 2012

Well, I've been little behind the curve, only just learning yesterday that NEI is back in business.

A favorite bullet for my Czech-barreled German GEW88 “Commission” rifle has been the NEI #86 -- a ~190-grain .318” bullet that seems to be particularly well-suited to the tight bore on these Czech rebarrels.

Anyway, I am going to order up a mould and would appreciate some advice. Choices are aluminum ("a very hard alloy used for high speed gears") or Meehanite ("a very dense, free machining cast iron alloy"); the Meehanite moulds carry with them a $25.00 premium.

I also need to choose between a single- and a double-cavity mould.

http://www.vintage-gunlore.com/>http://www.vintage-gunlore.com

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wayne S posted this 31 January 2012

I'ld go over the the Cast Boolits forum and do two things, \ 1. Go to the “sponcer's section and see what NOE might have in stock or on a GB that is about to go to the shop. 2.  Do a search on NEI, several opinions expressed on dealings with  “post Walt” NEI

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 31 January 2012

I have had good experience with NEI. I know others have not. Both my molds are aluminum 2 cavity. Nice molds!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 January 2012

Best to get Veral Smith to custom cut a mold to fit a throat slug on your 8mm rifle.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 31 January 2012

i wouldn't even bother looking at the nei molds, noe over at cast boolits has a couple of 8mm molds i have the 140gr for my tight throated remington. http://www.generalordnanceusa.com/32Caliber.html these guy's are newer but have a good rep with the guy's i have talked to.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 31 January 2012

I'd go with Veral at LBT also. I have two NEI moulds I bought since 2006 and have had little issues with them. Nothing to make the bullets unusable but little issues.

I did get one of Verals .357 moulds from a group buy on here and the mould was exactly as advertised and ready to cast with once it got cleaned and heated up.

Attached Files

Tom in Pittsburgh posted this 03 February 2012

OK, I'll bite -- how do I make a “throat slug"?

TIA

Tom

http://www.vintage-gunlore.com>http://www.vintage-gunlore.com

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 18 February 2012

Go to Tom at Accurate molds. He'll ask you for some specific measurements. You'll have your mold in a week . . . & be happy!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 February 2012

I've gotten several good molds from NIE in the past !

However I always had to call several times to get them and while they would always claim a 2 week turn around it was typically 4-8 weeks for a varying bunch of excuses .

NOE makes good usable molds and I have two of them . However once upon a time I had ordered a whole bunch of them and had over a grand out for his molds (all to the same group buy person thank God) . Anyway after the date of release on all of them had been moved back from a month to almost a year I got a full refund . I think they have gotten their manufacturing end straightened out but I still choose not to go that route anylonger .

I've got 4 LBT molds and I gotta say Veral is easy and quick to deal with . And his product is first rate .

BRP made excellent molds and I have several of his and am sorry to say he's no longer in buisness .

I have one from BallistiCast that is great and their turnaround was fairly quick as well I think 3-4 weeks .

Accurate Molds I've yet to try . But I take them as an A#1 company when John Kort says something good about them !

Mountain Molds has by far had the quickest service and some of the best I ever recieved ! The first two I ordered from him were in my hands 7 DAYS after I Paypalled him the order . The second time I ordered from him it took maybe 3 weeks , still great service as far as I'm concerned !

I'm pretty sure the majority if not all of my custom mold work will go to LBT and Mountain Molds . Well thats not totally true , I'll still get Lee molds thru Ranch Dog whenever he makes something I can use . But as to the whole group buy thing , I'm outta that . I'd much rather pay a bit more , get it a little quicker and not have to make changes based on other peoples wants .

Attached Files

I had thoughts once upon a time of getting myself a Smithy or a small lathe and mill along with a mold cutting vice and then make my own cherries and cut my own molds .

After looking at the costs and thinking about the trouble I can get ALOT of really good molds for what the machinery would cost for that adventure and then if they aren't right I have no one to complain to except myself and that certainly is no fun !

Attached Files

Tom in Pittsburgh wrote: Anyway, I am going to order up a mould and would appreciate some advice. Choices are aluminum ("a very hard alloy used for high speed gears") or Meehanite ("a very dense, free machining cast iron alloy"); the Meehanite moulds carry with them a $25.00 premium.

I also need to choose between a single- and a double-cavity mould.

First couple times I ordered from them I got aluminum and am completley satisfied !

The last time I ordered they “claimed” they couldn't get aluminum to cut molds anylonger and I get the Meehanite . It works fine also , but I don't think what I was told was totally true .

Get aluminum and save $25 . All of my molds from LBT , BRP , MM and several others are aluminum . As long as you take care of them they should last a good long time .

Attached Files

Close