327 H & R Mag My psychic powers think it it dying.......

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 10 December 2012
afish4570 posted this 02 February 2012

Saw a lg. # of Charter Arms snubbies (none with adj. sights)in 327 on sale at C.... (don't know if name can be mentioned)......usually when you see inventories being reduced and the model no longer listed in 32 H & R or 327 by Charter Arms , that is the death cry.  I have the Charter Pathfinder  2 “in 32 H & R used and never sprung for the brass or dies.  Ammo and brass are hard to find and no cheap either......Bunny gunners buy now.afish4570:dude:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 02 February 2012

I have several .32 H&R revolvers (S&W 631, S&W 16-4, and a Ruger SP 101. I saw no need (for me) to consider the .327 Federal.

I mostly load mild loads for target, and in the past, edible small game loads. My favorite bullet is a 100 gr Group Buy Keith (the RCBS 98 gr SWC is an excellent bullet, also).

I will be casting some Lee full wadcutters later this week. I have also used Hornady HBWC with excellent results.

Dale53

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 03 February 2012

Rumor has it the Charter Arms Revolvers do not handle the heavy 327 Federal loads very well. I have a 4” CA Patriot and this one has exhibited no signs of distress. Most of our shooting with this revolver has been with 115-grain bullets at 1,200 fps or less velocity.

I see no reason for the 327 Federal to fail as it is exactly what we hoped the 32 H&R would be when it appeared. We do not need full velocity all of the time but my 2 heavy frame 327 Rugers show no sign of distress shooting heavy for the caliber bullets - 125 to 135-grain - at 1,200 fps +.The 327 Federal is too powerful for some small game shooting but for the larger critters the 327 Federal with heavy bullets - 115-grain and heavier - is THE cartridge for handgun varminting.

Slim

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 February 2012

As long as there is no supply of brass other than to buy factory ammmo at over a buck per shot, it will die. Starline deserves the entire credit for single-handedly saving the .32 H&R Magnum, because Federal brass in this caliber is of poor quality, and Starline made reloading .32 HRM practical for the cowboy shooters, which is why we can enjoy the Best Bunny Gun caliber. The cowboy shooters don't need or want the .327 and the eargasplittenloudenboomer and CCW crowd won't generate enough demand for Starline to make the brass. My crystal ball says that 20 years from now you will be able to get H&R Mag brass for reloading, but the .327 Federal will go the way of the 9mm Federal Rimmed, if you remember what THAT was.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 04 February 2012

Ed, I bought a box of 9mm Federal when it came out for my cartridge collection, easy to predict the future for this one. The 327 May fail but when Federal released the brass this fall it sold out quickly - I bought all I could, honest! - so many of us have a fair supply of brass. 327 Federal is good brass as I have not lost any due to splits or loose primer pockets. Freedom Arms is still selling empty primed brass and I bought some from them too. The 32 H&R is perfect except for some of the heavier critters such as badger, coyotes and feral dogs. The last two years we have had a fair crop badgers and the feral dog population is growing - this is sheep and goat country and loose dogs are hard on domestic animals. In practical terms, the 32 H&R handles 99 percent of my small game shooting. The S&W Model 631 4” and the 4” Charter Arms Patriot are both light enough to carry and accurate enough for our outdoor needs. Wouldn't it be fun to have a break open 32 H&R to compliment the H&R 999. You were an “insider” to some of the thinking of the gun companies. What is driving the ultra-light revolver and the fiber optic front sight? I have poor eyesight so I may not be the guy to comment on fiber optic sights but I cannot hit very well with them in the field. I would rather have a flat faced brass bead. I hit better with a plain Patridge sight when outdoors.

Slim

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 February 2012

Didn't realize that Federal was selling brass again. Maybe they learned their lesson. Who is making the Freedom Arms cases? I see no need for a bigger case, the .32 S&W Long is adequate and quiet in a rook rifle. The H&R Mag case has the advantage of more powerful factory loads and a bit more case capacity if you want to duplicate .32-20 rifle performance.

The CCW crowd seem to be driving the market. Accuracy is not a requirement, the guns only need to go bang and produce a muzzle flash great enough to dazzle the adversary. Neon sign sights are a distraction. Amuses me how the gun rags will shoot at whatever distance is needed to make groups seem OK and then take only the best 5 out of six shots, silliness...

I'm never going to get rid of my S&W 31 with 4 inch barrel in .32 S&W Long or my Colt Police Positive Special. Sure would like to find a 4 inch Colt Cobra .32!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Keith posted this 05 February 2012

Ed Fugate Fire arms has a 4 inch 32 cobra for sale. You can find them at guns international or at doublegun.com. The prices they have seem consistently high. Keith DVM

Attached Files

Dark Helmet posted this 16 June 2012

Starline 327 brass now available

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 16 June 2012

YES! I talked with Starline about six months ago and they said “this summer” for the 327. it took them longer because “it is more than just lengthening the 32 cases.”

I have REALLY been fighting the itch to grab one of the Taurus snubbies for $229 from CDNN. Not a big Taurus fan , but for that price it would make a nice filler for that pocket behind the passenger seat,,,

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 25 June 2012

Starline also make the 32 H&R Mag cases .But most of the time they are back order.I was down at one place thinking they had it in the store and end up they had to send it to me by mail . It was a large chain store that had it and it was the last bag they had in all there stores at the time.I have been picking up 327 off and on . Now Starline have them but you need to buy a large amount .

Attached Files

r1kk1 posted this 10 July 2012

It is now B/O at Starline. I did pick up a K.

Take care

r1kk1

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 17 July 2012

Thanks, ordered 500! This cartridge will make it. It will always be a slow mover but it will make it.

Slim

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 30 August 2012

Starline called this afternoon, my 327 Federal brass is about to ship.

I thanked them for making the brass and asked if they had heard of the good words written about Starline 32 Magnum brass by Ed Harris, They had not. I told tem they needed to cruise through the Cast Bullet Association forum every once in awhile.

Slim

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 August 2012

Thanks. I bought 1000 .32 HRM cases from Midway myself a few years ago.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 01 September 2012

Now if I could find a good lever gun in either the 32-20 or 32 mag I would just quit fooling around with a few other projects. jeff

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 01 September 2012

Projects are like cats: Feed one and several more show up...

Slim

Attached Files

Green Frog posted this 05 September 2012

Well, I'm glad to see that StarLine is shipping 327 FM brass... my 1K backorder should be showing up soon! :cool:

I'm waiting on word from Delta that my barrel is being rebored and shipped to the gunsmith who is boring and chambering a cylinder so that he can convert my Model 66 to a “Model 616” in 327 FM. Whether the caliber is “officially” discontinued or not, I'm planning on owning and shooting a 327 FM revolver for a very long time! :fire

Elsewhere on the I-net, there are people arguing that the 32/20 will do anything the 327 will (using current *- brass) but a straight walled case with sufficient room in the boiler room for a “real” charge of powder and enough brass strength to contain the power, placed in a revolver of modern material looks to me like the ultimate development of the 32 cal handgun! :sbox: This is my personal hope and expectation based on prior experience, YMMV.

Froggie

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 08 September 2012

I agree - and I have 32-20 and 30 Carbine revolvers to compare.

The only immediate difference in the Starline brass is it is .0025” shorter than Federal un-primed cases.

Slim

Attached Files

Green Frog posted this 09 September 2012

william iorg wrote: I agree - and I have 32-20 and 30 Carbine revolvers to compare.

The only immediate difference in the Starline brass is it is .0025” shorter than Federal un-primed cases.

Which caliber are you referring to? My experience with StarLine is that it runs true to spec. BTW, The easiest and most straightforward comparison I can imagine would be between the current Ruger BH 8-shooter in 327 FM (which I have) and the Ruger Buckeye Special in 32/20 which unfortunately I had but sold. Anybody still have both and want a project?? :}

Attached Files

mklien posted this 29 October 2012

I have both the Buckeye and the 327 Bkackhawk in addition to a 25-20 Bkackhawk and love all three. The 327 cylinder of the Blackhawk indexes perfectly in the Buckeye so its the ultimate convertible with three cylinders. All three calibers in the same revolver is pretty handy plus i have an 1894cl in the 32-20 and 25-20. The Blackhawks are perfect companion arms to the 1894's and The 327 hasn't lost popularity in this house.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 30 October 2012

i dont know about the future but i sure like my 32 mags and my 327 revolvers.. i have a smith 2 inch in 32 mag, ruger bisley single six a nagant revolver converted to 32 mag, and a shotgun bunny gun converted to 32 mag. my 327 is the charter arms patriot. never really liked charter but this is a nice shooting revolver. i really would like to have the ruger black hawk but the money just isnt in the budget right now. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 10 December 2012

The way I look at the 327 is that you are able to shoot more then one different cart. in it and i found out that you can shoot 327,32 H&R,32 S&W long,32ACP ,32 S&W . I reload all my own and cast for them also. Right now I have the 85gr that I use and shoot out of the black hawk.I see since starline is maken the brass that I think it will live.

Attached Files

Close