BULLET WEIGHT

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 08 April 2012
CANADIAN BACON posted this 12 March 2012

HOWDY:D I have a situation with my Reproduction 1874 - 45/70. This rifle will use the 350 F/N bullet but will not shoot the 550 gr Postell bullet. I have been using 60gr 3f with Winchester primers. The barrel is a 1/20 twist . The bullet is tumbling and Iam disappointed:( The big bullet is a work of art and I would like to know how you/all get these big bullets down range with good results. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 12 March 2012

Is the Postell a large enough diameter? Most folks go to 1 1/2F,2F, or cartridge grade when the heavy bullets are at play. I've had trouble when the lands get full of charcoal too. My rifle shoots 525's with the 18” twist. trapdoor 45-70's were 22” and shot 500's. You should be able to make it go. The Postell is a popular bullet. You may be able to find a friend who is shooting it well and borrow some to see what's up.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 12 March 2012

HOWDY:D Thanks for the reply. I'll take your advise and try 2f. I didn't think it would make a difference. I have much to learn about the B/P game :dude:

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 March 2012

My suggestion would be to cheat and put in 58g of FF and top with a card wad. Compress this about a 10th” at the most and then seat the bullet out till it mashes in just a little bit when closing the action. Use your blow tube in between each shot. I cheat and put 7g of reloader 7 on the bottom. Lights her up real swell and I never clean blow or get aggravated.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 14 March 2012

HOWDY:D I'll try your idea as soon as I get my order of powder. So do you own the Vincent under you handle?? Thanks Again

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 14 March 2012

I wish that was my bike. I have a BSA that I look at once in a while.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 14 March 2012

delmarskid1 wrote: I wish that was my bike. I have a BSA that I look at once in a while.

10/4

Attached Files

dimebox posted this 15 March 2012

You might want to double check the rate of twist. I purchased a repro highwall a few years ago that was supposed to be 1 to 20 and it wouldn't stabilize the 535 gr. bullets I had. It turned out to be about 1 to ?38?. Thankfully it was advertised as 1 to 20 and they replaced the barrel. Shot great after that.

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 16 March 2012

HOWDY:D I rechecked the twist. It's 1/20

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 08 April 2012

CANADIAN BACON wrote: HOWDY:D I rechecked the twist. It's 1/20

I think your 3 f is too fast...I use nothing but 1f for this postell and with pretty good results...i'm only shooting 100 yards and i get 2 to 3 inch groups which is good for me...good luck...

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 April 2012

Try Swiss 1 1/2 Fg and a milk carton wad under the bullet.

I am elated how clean Swiss 1 1/2 Fg burns.

Attached Files

Close