casting

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 06 April 2012
sixshot.480 posted this 04 April 2012

Hi. I am vary new to casting bullets. I so new that I have only bought the tools never made a bullet yet. but I am looking to buy lead Ingots and don't know what mixture of lead and tin and? to buy. I am going to make 325 gran .480 ruger from lee molds. can some of you experts help . thanks 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 04 April 2012

I mix a clone of Lyman #2  classic alloy for everything except I use soft range scrap for muzzle-loading ball and bullets.

My range scrap tests at 7.4 BHN  and I buy Linotype loose scrap  locally for $1.79/lb. Too get my #2 alloy I mix 7 parts range scrap with 3 parts Linotype and get about BHN 15 alloy like #2.

The #2 alloy  for gas checked bullets is strong enough for near factory ammo pressures and velocities in any pistol caliber and most rifle calibers.

A soft alloy like range scrap alone is only strong enough for low pressure loads of about 1000 fps and under.

If you haven't mixed your own alloys yet consider buying certified alloy ingots from Rotometals:

http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm>http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

Their Lyman #2 alloy is $2.89/lb and shipping is free with orders over $99.00 Get on their email list too, they have great specials for internet customers on their list. They sell a nice casting thermometer also.

Gary

Attached Files

thank you onondaga this helps. know the only thing I need to do is to find a good used lubesizer. any ideas there?

Attached Files

I haven't used one in decades. I tumble lube everything from .223 to ,458 Win Mag and .500 S&W Mag with 45:45:10 Recluse tumble lube and very happy with it. I will never go back. I use Lee push through bullet sizer dies with my loading press. I tumble lube once before sizing/checking with the die and then twice after. I have found no velocity or pressure limit to the Recluse tumble lube with good fitting bullets. My .223 loses accuracy beyond 2350 but the lube holds fine as far as I tested to 2600 fps.

Bullet fit is much more important than lube, all my rifle bullets are .002-.003” larger than G to G slugged bore diameters. I get no leading in every caliber and 1 MOA accuracy or better.

Gary

Attached Files

thanks again. 1” MOA “wow” maybe there is some up side to casting. if you don't mind can you tell me a ez way to measure my bore of my handgun. I am shooting a 480 ruger and today ordered a custom made .476 lube/sizer kit. it takes 6 to 8 week to receive. if I have the time I will alter my order.

Attached Files

From today at the club range. Ten shots, 100 yards with .223 Rem. cast bullets from my NEF Ultra Varmint rifle. Lyman mold 225646 gas checked/tumble lubed Recluse. Velocity 2053 fps.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 05 April 2012

Onondaga,

Excellent!  I've considered 22s but really dislike handling those itty-bitty bullets.  32s are bearable but awkward for me.

Performance like that is tempting.  May I ask: what powder did you use?

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 05 April 2012

Jimmy:

The powder charge is 15.1 grains of Alliant Rel 7 for the 223646 bullet in my .223 Rem. NEF rifle for 2053 fps. The gas checked/lubed/sized bullets in Lyman #2 alloy weigh out at 59.9 grains all up for me. H4198 does almost equal accuracy with 13.9 grains and velocity is nearly the same. I also got very close with H4895 but could not break 1 MOA with H4895 in my rifle.

The load is only for my single shot rifle and will not operate an AR15 action reliably. I have an AR15 load that will operate the action but will only shoot 2MOA @ 100 yds at this point in that ongoing project using Accurate 2230. Accurate 5744 loads that operate that action shoot all over the place and was a poor choice for me in the AR15 and NEF also.

Gary

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 05 April 2012

45:45:10 Would you share this info. I have no idea what you are talking about as to what you are mixing. neve heard of recluse lube. thanks in advance. m

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 05 April 2012

45% “cooked” Johnson's Paste wax, 45% Lee Liquid ALOX, and 10% mineral spirits.

The JPW is heated to cook-off some volatiles.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 05 April 2012

mike morrison; Here is a full explanation from the original person who developed it (Recluse):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

Dale53

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 05 April 2012

Thanks Dale, that  is the stuff, with the best directions. You don't have to get Liquid Alox from Lee to make your own Recluse Tumble Lube. Higher volume at much lower price is sold as XLOX, link:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html>http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html

Actually the Alox corporation is local to me in Niagara Falls, NY...it stinks near there. The stuff was originally developed as a high pressure spray-able liquid automotive rust preventative undercoating sold with the service under several brand names in the automotive service industry.

I am sure many will find the link to the post at CastBoolits very useful for making Recluse 45:45:10 Tumble Lube. I was very fond of that site, but unfortunately, I have been banned permanently from that site for reporting one of that site vendor members and the site owner for Felony Mail Fraud and collusion to commit Felony Mail Fraud. They are under investigation by the USPIS. A significant number of members there have contacted me, letting me know they have filed the same complaint against the same vendor at CastBoolits with the USPIS Mail Fraud Division.

Gary

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 06 April 2012

thanks guys, might have to give that a try.

Attached Files

Close