Smith & Wesson .380 Bodyguard

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 19 September 2016
Pigslayer posted this 07 April 2012

I was at the range today and another shooter was trying out his new S/W Bodyguard in .380 Auto. The barrel is a mere 2.75 in. long. I was nothing but impressed with the accuracy of this little guy @ 15 yds.. It has both open & laser sights. The gun is very accurate @ 15 yds.. After that it's up to the shooter! I watched him shoot about 50 rounds of over the counter generic ammo. I think I'll buy one.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rojkoh posted this 28 June 2013

.380 is a mediocre round.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 June 2013

i have not owned a 380 but have had 5 or 6 makarovi , ... nearly the same  ...  

the trick is to choose one of the enhanced defense loads ... cci gold dots are available, both factory loads and mj bullets.

mine were all the russian ij models, a great value, and with real sights  ...   they were accurate enough that they were fun to shoot ... leading to confidence in c.carrying ...  and small and light enough that a person just might have one along when one needs it  ...  

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
hunterspistol posted this 29 June 2013

:coffee   Recently shot a concealed carry class, there were a lot of .380s there, a few 9s, even a 40 S&W.  A .380 is okay for close range work and most people can shoot it easily.  I think I might have converted a few of the crowd to bigger handgun rounds because I was shooting a 9mm.  I was shooting my new Springfield XD-M 5.25” match (it was large for concealed but, about my only range toy that fit the category). 

The target is at 50 feet indoors.  I did take the S&W 5906 along but, nobody needed to shoot it (all those .380s, don't ya know).

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 06 March 2015

I've had great success with my .380 Bodyguard Smith...but haven't shot it with cast yet. With Montana Gold's 95 gr JHP, it'll do an honest inch at 10 yds from a Weaver Stance. Too, it's been utterly reliable both with factory FMJ and Federal Critical Defense ammunition, as well as my handloads with the aforementioned MG's.

My only slightly negative comment is that the laser is inconvenient to use in any defensive shooting...the button's just too far forward to reach. I've added bright yellow finger nail polish to my front sight for ease of pick up in low light conditions.

For carry purposes, it fits in a front jeans pocket with no problem and draws easily from that position. A rear jeans pocket works nearly as well, but the 6 shot magazine makes for less of a CC “Print".

HTH's Rod

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 March 2015

"A gun is like a parachute, If you need one and don't have it, you will never need one again."   Author unkown

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
tturner53 posted this 06 March 2015

For a wealth of .380 w/cbs load info search for Ranch Dog data for his two .380 designs. He put out a 100 and a 120 in Lee 6 cavity molds. The little 100 gr. has a very large meplat and functions perfectly thru my Bersa. I'm using Promo powder and have never had a malfunction. Accuracy is very surprising, plenty good. I've shot 10” groups at 50 yds.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 12 November 2015

tturner53 wrote: For a wealth of .380 w/cbs load info search for Ranch Dog data for his two .380 designs. He put out a 100 and a 120 in Lee 6 cavity molds. The little 100 gr. has a very large meplat and functions perfectly thru my Bersa. I'm using Promo powder and have never had a malfunction. Accuracy is very surprising, plenty good. I've shot 10” groups at 50 yds. Sounds like you are pretty satisfied with that Bersa.  I saw one for sale (new) at a nearby discount store (Bi-Mart) for a little over $250.  Seems to me to be a lot of gun for not much money.  Would you recommend getting one?

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 November 2015

The Ruger LCP 380"s accuracy is likewise surprising within it's capabilities. While concealability is it's greatest asset, the .380 is still little better than a sharp stick I think.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 November 2015

everything in life is relative .. ( no jokes about mother-in-laws ) ....

if you might think a 380 is a little light ... consider that i carried for years ....in areas not necessarily in compliance with do-gooder rules ... a browning 25 auto which fit nicely in a shirt pocket ... and yes, much better than a sharp stick ... my plan was to take out their eyes, then run like heck ...

makes a 380 look like an atomic ray gun ...

ken

ken

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 12 November 2015

Interesting that you guys have found several .380s that are surprisingly accurate. I have had good luck accuracy wise with the .32 ACP in an old Colt 1902 and a PP, but my experience with the .380 was with a newer PPK, and I think mostly some commercially cast bullets of about 90 grains, these had very short bearing surfaces and that may have been the main problem. But the PPK was not easy for me to get accuracy from. It's been several years since I have had a .380, having traded away the PPK for - something, I don't recall the exact deal.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 12 November 2015

Look at the Browning 1911 7/8 scale .380, eight rounds, much thinner than most to aid concealment, locking action, good sights and easy to conceal.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

PETE posted this 12 November 2015

BHyett,

+1

Pete

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 November 2015

jeesh Ken!   Now I'm going to have to rethink everything again. Damn I hate that! Just when I thought I had “everything” nailed.   Once upon a time, If I could have figured out how to attach that 870 to my tool belt I would have. Figured by the time that the beast was leveled there might have been a round left in the tube yet. Too much Elmer Keith I guess.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 19 November 2015

My SW BG380 shoots well with 2.7 gr  700X  under a 100 gr jrn

These are the thinnest 380s on the mkt.  And so far, several friends who

I got them for love them. and how they shoot. 

Now, talking about stuff like PPs and PPks, etc.

Try out a Kahr CM9   at  15 oz   or a Kahr CM40 at 17 oz.  These shoot well,too.

My CM9 feeds and shoots a 115 gr SWC cast bullet very well.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Rich22 posted this 02 December 2015

I still don't want to get shot by one....lo

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 December 2015

I just picked up a NIB Ruger LCP off GunBroker for $199 on a Black Friday Special because it was such a good deal. Will be interesting to see how it compares with my Beretta 3032 Tomcat .32 ACP and my Beretta M1934 .380 ACP.

Looks like a perfect “Church Gun." Got 36-125T mold back from Erik with two of the cavities hollow-pointed with huge cavity, reducing weight to 114 grains.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Cary Gunn posted this 30 June 2016

Gents,

I know this thread is several months old, but I think it's an interesting enough topic to merit renewed life.  Thus, comes my question:  has anyone tried the Kahr P380, or the “economy version” of that little pistol, the CW 380?

I have the cheaper “CW” version,  and I can't believe the accuracy the little 11-ounce demon provides. It's shoots so well that, were I younger and in of need a lightweight  “trail gun,” I'd give serious consideration to the Kahr for that role.

It easily provides 2 to 2 1/2-inch five-shot 15-yard groups with a standing, unsupported, two-hand hold.

That's “rabbit-head accuracy” from a tiny pocket gun no bigger than a pack of smokes. That's also with me doing the shooting -- with aged orbs and hands crippled from a near-lifetime of misadventure.  And, I haven't the slightest doubt that the little darling would shoot even straighter in the hands of a better pistol-shooter.

In comparison with the Ruger LCP, I find the Kahr CW 380 to be MUCH easier to shoot accurately. 

I bought my son a Ruger LCP in 2008, and that pistol had the worst trigger-pull I've ever encountered on a handgun.  Neither I nor my son could shoot it worth a hoot, due, no doubt, to that awful, long, heavy trigger pull that “broke” only at the absolute rear of trigger guard.   Never did learn how to hold the Ruger steady at the trigger break, and, as a result, our best groups with it were more like 8 inches at 10 yards -- truly lousy.

In contrast, the Kahr CW 380 -- while only an ounce or so heavier and actually a little bit shorter in height than the Ruger --  has a light, smooth, though long “double-action” type trigger pull that is easily managed and that allows shooting remarkably tight groups.

The  Kahr also seems to be a far more “robust” pistol than the “fragile feeling” Ruger.

I'm not sure of this, but I've heard Ruger has improved the LCP's trigger since the earlier production guns.  I do know the trigger on my son's 2008 Ruger LCP is dreadful, while I think it would be hard to improve on the Kahr's trigger and still maintain safety for pocket-carry.

By the way, both the Kahr and the Ruger just “disappear” in the front or rear pockets of this old man's jeans.

For what it's worth, this geezer remains in awe of his tiny Kahr's easily-utilized inherent accuracy.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 01 July 2016

Like somebody once said :  “It's not the size but what you do with it.". While that may have  a point I personally feel better with my Colt Commander than something smaller.  Although, I mostly carry a 22 mag. derringer.  Not much of a cartridge, but my biggest problem with it is remembering that it is in my pocket when I go someplace I am not supposed to carry in.  That means to me that if and when something happens  I will most likely be armed.  I just wish it held 12 shots instead of just two, but hey it beats not having a weapon all to heck.

Speaking of weapons; I get the biggest kick when they almost strip search me, and then hand me back my metal cane.  It just don't make much sense.  Besides all that just about anything can be a weapon.   I have seen martial arts demonstrations where everything from the sports section to a quarter could be used lethally.   I guess that it is the mind set above all else.  Both the Flagstaff Police and the Coconino Cty Sheriff's depts. offer a Active Shooter Incident Course which I have attended.  I wish our leaders would get their thumbs out of their ears and toes from their mouths and offer such courses in every City and Town in the country.  There is still a lot you can do even unarmed.  Personally I prefer to take personal responsibility for my own safety. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Cary Gunn posted this 10 July 2016

Hey there, Coot,

I may be able to help you along the trail a bit in your search for a “12-shot .22 Mag. derringer." 

While not fully up to the dozen-shot capacity you somewhat jokingly seek,  I'd bet you'd quickly form an attachment to the North American Arms (NAA) “Black Widow” mini-revolver with its 5-round .22 rimfire cylinder.

I recently bought one and, like the Kahr .380 Auto mentioned in my previous post, it, too, displays what I consider incredible accuracy for such a diminutive “gat."   It's so accurate that, also like the Kahr, it could actually serve as an ultra-light “trail pistol” tasked to potting the occasional skillet critter, mean snake, bad actor, or bean can.

It'd also make an absolutely great trapper's pistol.

The Black Widow is one of the few designs in the volumous NAA catalog that has adjustable sights (front and/or rear drift-adjustable for windage), which helps greatly when trying to turn a tiny “deep hide-out, belly-gun” into a gun capable of precise bullet placement.

My Black Widow easily makes 3-inch five-shot groups, off-hand, at 15 yards or so.

Last Monday, July Fourth, I saluted our Independence with a cylinder-full of CCI Long Rifle cartridges fired at a 3-inch bullseye pasted to a sheet of typing.

From 25 yards -- two-hand, off-hand shooting -- the little slugs formed a group of less than 5 1/4."  Three of the five shots struck the bull, while two landed just above it.

I'll happily take that sort of accuracy any day from a hide-out pistol weighing 8 ounces and possessing a barrel only 2 inches long. And particularly so, when the piece is capable of an even slicker “disappearing act” than my ultra-tiny Kahr auto when placed in a jeans pocket.

If I ever learn how to post photos on this forum, I'll send along a “copy machine-made” pix of my Fourth of July target with the little Black Widow superimposed on the target. The image will also proudly display the “slippery elm” grips I recently whittled to “spruce-up” my little treasure.

And, by the way, I know talk of a .22 rimfire may seem out of place on a forum devoted to bullet casting and, thus, to reloading, but it's my guess that anyone interested in cast-bullet pistol accuracy would also share my interest in the accuracy of the non-reloadable rimfires.

If not, I apologize in advance for boring you.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Attached Files

Cary Gunn posted this 27 July 2016

Gents,

Here, I hope, is the photograph of the “Fourth of July” target I mentioned in the above post.  Superimposed on the target is a pic of the NAA Black Widow mini-revolver used to make the target.

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/CaryGunn/media/25%20yd.%20belly%20gun%20target_zpsca1j7oki.jpeg.html>

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close