mold maker ?

• 3.8K Views
  • Last Post 03 May 2012
adrians posted this 15 April 2012

hello, can somebody enlighten me on a mold i have coming from an auction?

it say's CLERKE on it and is supposed to be a .323 mold.

The mold isn't in my sweaty hands yet but i thought it was something i just had to have so i bid and won ,,, heck i don't even know what shape or what wght bullet it will give me :thinking:

I'm just curious if this is the makers name or just the name of person who had it afore me.

prey tell if ya know.

have a great weekend ..

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
frnkeore posted this 15 April 2012

Bo Clerke (pronounce Clark) was at least a simi famous gun, barrel and mold maker in So Cal.

You'll see his name attached alot to 1911 auto's, also.

I shot with him in 1985 in Schuetzen matches at Brea, CA. Single shots were his first love.

He is simi retired now in either MT, CO or WY.

His stuff was always of the highest quality. I haveone of his High Wall copy's and one of his left hand twist barrels on another rifle.

I saw the mold on Ebay and it went for a very good price For someone that shoots breech seated Schuetzen, It's worth $75 to $100.

It should cast .322 - .324 (depending on alloy) on the base band and have .003 to .006 taper to the nose. the standard alloy is 20/1.

Google Bo Clerke and you should get more info on him.

Frank

Attached Files

Hey Frank ,

Thanks for the info i'll google him when i get done here,

if as you suggest it drops a  .322-324 i have a few rifles that will love to taste them.

Now you have me all exited , i didn't mention in my op but it also says on the blocks 1-150.

Could that mean --one cav, 150grn, ?

it really doesn't matter what it is ,it will add to my meager collection of 32cal molds.

Christmas will come mid-week for me ....:wav3:

o.k a googling i go..

have a great Sunday....:thumbsup:

p.s don't know much about breach seating,,, although i do have the “pope” designed 308403 which does great in my 30's

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 15 April 2012

The 1-150 most likely is the length, 1.150 long.

Frank

Attached Files

ah ,o.k that makes sense i'll get a pic up when it gets here. cheers frank.

Attached Files

adrians posted this 22 April 2012

well here's the bullits the mold dropped today.

i'm going to try them in my mausers just to see whats what.

they drop at right on .323 .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 22 April 2012

Wow , I like the looks of that bullet !

That would be a good one for me for my 8.14x46R System Grothe schuetzen rifle . At the moment I'm shooting the RCBS 32-170GC in the rifle but I'd much rather have a nice plain base I can shoot as cast , tumble lubed and no check . And I think your bullet would fit all my criteria .

Seems to me Bo Clerke marketed a falling block rifle of some type back in the 70's . If my memory serves it was something in the 1885 Winchester style .

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 22 April 2012

Adrians, How much taper does it have?

Thats one of his last ones, his earlier molds had a much larger mepat.

You REALLY need to get yourself a nice 32/40 single shot rifle. That bullet will give you under 1 1/2” groups at 200 yards, all the time when breech seated.

Frank

Attached Files

adrians posted this 23 April 2012

evening guy's ,

6pt,

yer it sure does look like a good one ,i don't know how it will do i my rifles but i'll try it in all , i bet one will like it even if i have to size it a tad .>

Frank,

not sure on the taper , and your right i DO need to get me a 32-40 , i have all the molds i would need for that cal .

The next gun show around here is in about 6-7 weeks so in the meantime i'll go a pawn shop hopping. :hunt:                :taz:                       :riflebr:

yall have a good -un.

adrian.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 24 April 2012

If you do find one, let me know. I'll walk you through how to get it to shoot. I guarantee that you won't be sorry!!!

Frank

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 April 2012

Keep your eyes open for a nice old Remington Rollingblack and perhaps you can rebarrel it econimcally into a 32-40 !

I had a circa 1906 MArlin Model 1893 in 32-40 that was certainly a nice shooter and I even killed a deer with it using a home cast bullet . But those intresting pointy bullets you have would have been of no use in that 1893 .

Attached Files

adrians posted this 24 April 2012

Will do Frank ,thanks.

I didn't think of a roller in that cal but now you mention it 6pt i'll keep my eyes peeled for one . i nearly bought a rolling block in a cal i can't remember now but threw my coin at a 71/84 instead.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 01 May 2012

adrians, I just learned that Bo Clerke died in the Ratan, NM hospital last week end.

Frank

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 May 2012

i remember that bo clerke was involved in trying to bring a more peaceful solution to the shootout at ruby ridge.

...also i think i remember (g) that the rifle connected to bo clerke was an unfortunate assembledge of poor co-ordination, murphy's law,  and just being in the wrong place most of the time.  the fate of 97% of business endeavors, i might add ...

ken

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 02 May 2012

I know nothing of any conection to Ruby Ridge but, I own one of his HW type Rifles. I've had it since '85 when I shot with Bo in Brea, CA. I also have one of his left hand twist barrels on a Stevens 44 1/2.

The rifles were quality actions and this rifle still served me today. I won a ASSRA group match with it the last time I shot it in competion (last year).

Here is a picture of a Bo Ckerke HW

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 03 May 2012

Pretty! Nice color.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 03 May 2012

Thank you :)

Attached Files

Close