Pigs and Paper Patches.

• 8.4K Views
  • Last Post 19 August 2014
30-30 Wesson posted this 22 April 2012

Recently I was invited on a Pig hunt in South West Queensland. I used my 7x57 for the first two days and accounted for 16 pigs, but on the third day, I took my Martini 450-400 2 3/8", hunting in the swamps. The load I was using was 34g of ADI 2206 ( 3031 equivalent ) behind the 425g 40-400 PP bullet. The first pig was sighted on the edge of the swamp and I shot it in the ribs. It only ran about 30 yds.

A little later I saw a couple of pigs feeding out in the open and shot the biggest one through the ribs. It was great watching the pig drop and a great gout of water and mud fly up in the air, 20m behind it.

It was a completely exhausting day, but very enjoyable.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 22 April 2012

What an indigestion of pig shooting!

I am green of envy. A wonderful booty,you made,and with a wonderful  obsolete rifle, and a caliber for connaisseurs  .

Please give particulars and explanations of the bedding of the forearm of your Martini.

I guess that the barrel is free floated.

They look like domestic animals turned wild,or a mixture of wild boars and pigs.

They offer wonderful hunting.

How do you hunt them ,driving them with hounds or stalking them? 

Our boars hide in the  of the thickest thorns  all day ,they go out at night ,to feed in the darkest hours.They must be moved by the hounds,and they run ,how fast they go.

I am missing a lot of them black hairy rockets.

They are very seldom seen in the open ,at least during the hunting season. 

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 April 2012

Bravo! Well done, thanks for the great post. Cast bullets, dead pigs, old guns. Love it.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 22 April 2012

giorgio de galleani wrote: What an indigestion of pig shooting! Thank you Giorgio, but we took none to eat. I don't like eating pork from the west, as it may be diseased, we had no refrigeration out there and the daytime temperature was 30deg C.

I am green of envy. A wonderful booty,you made,and with a wonderful  obsolete rifle, and a caliber for connaisseurs  .

It certainly is a good hunting calibre. Would cover everything we have here in Australia. Here is picture of the round next to a .458 Win Mag. topic.php?id=7326&forumid=65">http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=7326&forumid=65 They look like domestic animals turned wild,or a mixture of wild boars and pigs.

Feral pigs, here in Australia are all colours, from Jett black to White and are descended from the original Captain Cook release, mixed with all types of domestic pigs.

They offer wonderful hunting. Indeed they do!

How do you hunt them ,driving them with hounds or stalking them? 

Some hunters use dogs, to find and hold the pigs, but I hunt them on foot, with the aid of a trail bike. We ride around the property, till we either see pigs, or a likely pig place, then stalk them.

Our boars hide in the  of the thickest thorns  all day ,they go out at night ,to feed in the darkest hours.They must be moved by the hounds,and they run ,how fast they go.

Our pigs are mostly nocturnal, but on an overcast day, they are out feeding.

I am missing a lot of them black hairy rockets.

Because our pigs are Feral, they can be hunted all year round. Endless fun.

They are very seldom seen in the open ,at least during the hunting season. 

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 23 April 2012

I sure have a hard time with shooting pigs just for sport and not for meat. Why don't you let them piglets grow up a bit?

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 23 April 2012

Because I said so!

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 23 April 2012

shastaboat wrote: I sure have a hard time with shooting pigs just for sport and not for meat. Why don't you let them piglets grow up a bit?

Hi shastaboat, It sure is a waste of good meat, but pigs here in Aus, are feral and a threat to our cattle industry. They must be killed and not left for another day. There are plenty of them and we will never be able to eradicate them. If I want some wild pork, I go hunting for them in the mountains. The meat seems to be so much better.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 24 April 2012

My mountain boars taste so good,their meat has very little fat,and even the old males do not have that gamey smell that is carachteistic of old goats,or our bighorn sheep.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 24 April 2012

I hope to get a mountain pig, when I go hunting this weekend. My wife likes the wild pork.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 24 April 2012

We have feral pigs in almost every state in the USA. Most states treat them as pests; some treat them as a cash hunting crop. Cattlemen complain that they root up pasture/grass lands but those cows sure tear up the countryside if left on the same ground too long. You might try eating some of those lowland pigs or at least make sausage out of them. If you want to see a truely wasteful resource here in the USA just say Wild Horse and Burro ACT and Bureau of Land Management in one sentence. If armogeddon gets here I'm gonna probably break the law and eat horse meat.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 17 July 2012

Shastaboat; I have been reliably informed by several people that wild burro meat is a treat.  I agree completely with you about the wild horse and burro act.  The  Burros impact the  Desert Big Horn Sheep very negatively, almost as bad as the Mountain Lions.  When are they going to manage wild life resources logically and not by who looks the cutest. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 July 2012

Thanks Tony for the great hunting story. You guys down under have just way too much goodtimes with your old guns. What a way to keep the Martini going. I love wood and blued steel, but sorry to say here in the states it seems everyone is 'blackgun' knutts, shooting ARs in all caliber configuration for such hunting.

We have a good supply of old Martinis here, but also a good supply of modern Sharps and modern rolling block guns, so it is much easier to just buy a new single shot and go shoot.

Thanks again and keep us up on your shooting quests........Dan

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 17 July 2012

Dan, I hear what you are saying about the wood/metal. I build a few myself. But I gotta tell you my son convinced me to build an AR for myself and for a squirrel/jack shoot it sure beats the heck out of a bolt gun. Just slap in another 30 round clip and keep shooting. A great home defence weapon as well. Armagedon is coming isn't it? I hear Dec. 2012...lol...

Because I said so!

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 17 July 2012

Dan Willems wrote: Thanks Tony for the great hunting story. You guys down under have just way too much goodtimes with your old guns. What a way to keep the Martini going. I love wood and blued steel, but sorry to say here in the states it seems everyone is 'blackgun' knutts, shooting ARs in all caliber configuration for such hunting.

We have a good supply of old Martinis here, but also a good supply of modern Sharps and modern rolling block guns, so it is much easier to just buy a new single shot and go shoot.

Thanks again and keep us up on your shooting quests........Dan

Thanks Dan and others. You can see the finished article here: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=7326&forumid=65

Attached Files

Bob 11B50 posted this 15 August 2014

After WW II I was a dependant living near Frankfurt.  The only fresh meat we got was what we hunted.  At that time my mom would go to the commissary and all the meat they had was frozen “mistery mear", the fresh meat was given to the Germans.  We ate a LOT of rabbits, many roe buck deer, and several pigs.  Boy!, those pigs really tasted good.  Our pigs in California today are not nearly as good.  We also ate a lot of duck in the fall, winteer, and spring.  Dad would get a boat from G-4 and we would float down the Rhine dodging the Rhine river ships that had been sunk by the retreating Nazi. Bob 11B50

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 17 August 2014

Bob 11B50 wrote: After WW II I was a dependant living near Frankfurt.  The only fresh meat we got was what we hunted.  At that time my mom would go to the commissary and all the meat they had was frozen “mistery mear", the fresh meat was given to the Germans.  We ate a LOT of rabbits, many roe buck deer, and several pigs.  Boy!, those pigs really tasted good.  Our pigs in California today are not nearly as good.  We also ate a lot of duck in the fall, winteer, and spring.  Dad would get a boat from G-4 and we would float down the Rhine dodging the Rhine river ships that had been sunk by the retreating Nazi. Bob 11B50 Hi Bob,I think that wild meat is soooooo much better than butchers meat. We eat a lot of wild goat, rabbit and pig. We also get the occasional lamb chop and some chicken, but I'd rather have wild meat any day. 

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 18 August 2014

I'm with you guys.  I grew up on Moose meat, venison, duck and goose; with the occasional quail and pheasant.  My DAD was a hunter and he always took me with him.  Wild meat is much better for you less fat and cholesterol.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

bliksemdonder posted this 19 August 2014

Since I started hunting and fishing here in deep South Texas I rarely eat feed lot meat. Feral hogs, Nilgai and fish are plentiful and this is what we eat. Yes, feral hogs are a problem to our produce industry here, but I view them as an alternate food source. I am no greenie but the chems they feed and inject into commercial live stock do raise points to ponder.

Tony, good hunting there!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 August 2014

Amazing you have pigs still! Our “guests” in Washington from south of the border have killed every deer, elk, goat and wild animal in the state. The only thing they will not shoot is the thousands of wild horses that roam the range. Wish they would eat those.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 19 August 2014

Maybe a Boone and Crockett category for horse trophy would encourage some trophy hunting to cut down on the excessive numbers.  John

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 19 August 2014

bliksemdonder wrote: Since I started hunting and fishing here in deep South Texas I rarely eat feed lot meat. Feral hogs, Nilgai and fish are plentiful and this is what we eat. Yes, feral hogs are a problem to our produce industry here, but I view them as an alternate food source. I am no greenie but the chems they feed and inject into commercial live stock do raise points to ponder.

Tony, good hunting there! Thanks Karl :) I like your avatar. Looks like a Chakma Baboon taking aim. I am getting impatient to get out and get some more wild pork. 

Attached Files

Close