Size for PB Bullets In Fixed Cases

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 15 May 2012
pat i. posted this 11 May 2012

Was reading an old cast bullet book the other night looking for tips on shooting PB bullets in my 30/06. There was a little blurb by C.E.Harris stating that for best results PB bullets should be sized to match groove diameter. Might have some merit to it condsidering that breech seated bullets are groove diameter when they're shot but besides that I can't think of anything else that'd be good about it. Anyone else ever heard that a PB bullet has to be groove diameter for best results? If not then once my buttons arrive so I can size down the case enough to hold a .308 using a Wilson die I'll let you know what happens. Guess the worst that could happen is I'd get some leading. Best is that the bullet/gun combination will finally shoot which up to this point it hasn't. I've tried one hell of a lot of other things so far with dismal results so why not a .308 bullet?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 11 May 2012

I do my pistol bullets that way, cant see why it wouldn't work in a rifle?. Hummm I am off to slug my barrel now, this has got the cogs turning...

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 11 May 2012

You might try 11 gr. PB. I don't know why but that has always been a good powder for PB bullets for me. It is the best in my 30-06. It seems to give it just the right kick. The bullet is an NEI 180 that drops 40-1 lead-tin at 177 gr. I size to .309 which just the same size as the bullet comes from the mould. The fps is about 1300. No filler but I tip the bullet up before loading.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 11 May 2012

Had a hitch in my giddyup about the author of the article I read. It was Col. E.H. Harrison.

99 I'll put PB on my to buy powder list to see how it does. Have to admit that's the first recommendation for that one I've ever had for anything. Maybe you have the secret. Are you tipping the rifle up because you find the powder position sensitive? If I ever got caught tipping a rifle up on my local range I'd get a good ass chewing at best and at worst for the day at least be on the outside looking in. Don't want to deal with either one to be honest.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 12 May 2012

With Bullesye and Unique i chronographed loads in my 30-06 for about 6 months at every range session for every shot. i had SD's single digit without tipping to orient powder much of the time.Accuracy want always automatically followed by uniform SD's though. With SD's over about 25 I never had very good accuracy at the 1100- 1200 fps i was getting .I use pistol primers only in my PB loads.

I shot .310 i my 4 groove Springfield and 4 groove HS P-17 Enfield barrels.Bigger didn't shoot as well and i got crud in the throat.This was with the Pope bullet and a p0inted Modern Bond 190g Spitzer.I am curious what a .308 dia. bullet will do in a commercial barrel.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 12 May 2012

linoww wrote: I am curious what a .308 dia. bullet will do in a commercial barrel.

George

Me too and I'll let you know as soon as I try it out. I'm going to be trying some slower powders at the same time but that should have nothing to do with what size the bullet is. I'm not going to make a carreer out of getting this thing to shoot so don't plan on going back and retesting everything I've done if the .308 bullet shoots with whatever powder's and primer's in the case at the time.

I have dim hopes that sizing to groove diameter is the the ticket and have my cleaning rod and Foul Out warming up in the bull pen just in case it isn't.

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 12 May 2012

I don't tip the rifle up, Just the cartridge before I insert it into the barrel. I leave the rifle set in the sand bags.

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 12 May 2012

Linoww might be right about the pistol primers. The old Winchester rifle primers in the white box worked with PB but the new blue box do not. I had the same problem with the 22 Hornet and PB. I switched to pistol primers and they work well. I am going to try pistol primers in my 30-06 and PB. 

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 13 May 2012

I figure that if George says something  he is probably correct about it.  That man spends a great deal of time working out every little kink that he can about cast bullet shooting, and I follow his advice at every opportunity. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 14 May 2012

Hello, pat i. I wonder if Mr. Harris was thinking along the lines of the old masters such as H.M. Pope? some of his rifles were set up for breech-muzzle loading..a groove dia. bullet was started thru a false muzzle & pushed down to pre-determined position at breech. A charged case was then inserted. The idea was any burrs or fins would be pushed forward, leaving a perfect bullet base..the “stearing end". A groove dia. bullet forced thru from breech would probably have less deformation.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 15 May 2012

Tim(one of the perks of being a moderator is being able to look at members profiles and learn their real names),

I don't know what Col. Harrison was thinking but your take on it is as good as any. I have some bullets sized up and ready to go. Half are .3085 and half are .3095. Might not be exact to the tenth but as close as my mics and my heavy hands will measure. The only way to tell if it will make a difference is to shoot them and that's what I plan to do. I was going to try a different powder at the same time but that would be self defeating and just confuse me more than I already am. I've had my best (as in terrible) groups with Bluedot so that's what I'm going to use with these bullets and see if there's an improvement. If there is THEN I'll try messing with different powders. It's all a work in progress and aggravating as hell but at the same time kind of fun. I'll post my results after I give it a go this weekend. Hopefully they'll be positive...........hopefully. I swear to God I think I'm the only person on the internet that can't stick a marble into a piece of conduit pound some match heads behind it and shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards using an empty toilet paper roll as a scope. Whatsupwiththat??

Who's this George guy anyway? I've heard of George Goebels, George Jefferson, and even George of the Jungle but never heard of anyone named George Linoww. Sounds like an alias (or alien) to me. Has the same personality characteristics as a famous shooter/gunsmith that posts on another forum but it can't be the same guy because he's not near as abrasive and annoying as that guy.

Attached Files

Close