Flux

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 09 February 2013
303PV posted this 18 May 2012

The management in my house starts complaining about the stink when I cast bullets.I flux with candle wax. Bullet lube also causes smoke . I light the fumes.But it still stinks. The same with olive oil. Therefore I hope to get some suggestions what to use. Thanks. PV

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
99 Strajght posted this 18 May 2012

When I have to cast inside, I use Marvelux from Brownells. My wife stopped complaining about the smell, at least of the smell of casting bullets inside.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 18 May 2012

I have tried several fluxes and found Ivory soap works well. Slice off thin slivers and dump them in the pot. Little smoke or smell and cheap.

Jim

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 January 2013

Just finish making some Lyman#2. I was out of candle wax for flux and my homemade lube, although great for bullet lube is not the best for fluxing. So, what to do, what to do? So I tried a pinch of carnuba flakes. VERY smokey but worked very well for fluxing. Was fluxing some lino and it cleaned up real nice! I don't do this in the house. Luckily the weather is decent and I could open the door to my shop & turn on the ceiling fan. I have read about Marvelux with both pros & cons. Would like some more input on it's use & results so please chime in.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 14 January 2013

I used Marvelux for a while. It didn't impress me. The stuff foams and clings to the pot. It takes a long time to burn/cook down to the point that it gets solid enough to scim off nice. It smokes a bit but doesn't stink too bad. It did work though. That lino that you got from me had been through a garage fire. It had charcoal dust in it. Charcoal can be a flux I'm told.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 14 January 2013

delmarskid1 wrote: I used Marvelux for a while. It didn't impress me. The stuff foams and clings to the pot. It takes a long time to burn/cook down to the point that it gets solid enough to scim off nice. It smokes a bit but doesn't stink too bad. It did work though. That lino that you got from me had been through a garage fire. It had charcoal dust in it. Charcoal can be a flux I'm told.I was wondering why my hands were getting black. LOL

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 January 2013

I received an order from Track Of The Wolf today containing 1/2 lb. Marvelux. I thought that I would give it a try . . . what the heck. Actually I have used candkewax with good results for many years but decided to experiment.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 January 2013

Well, I tried out the Marvelux this evening and it did work well . . . but not really any better than candlewax that I can see. It seems to leave a liquidy dross on top of the melt which is easily skimmed off. It doesn't produce a lot of smoke and doesn't smell bad. I'll use this until it s gone but for the money, candlewax is better,

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 19 January 2013

I've never used Marvalux. But BORAX (it's main ingrediant) is CHEAP!

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 January 2013

PV, I can't think of any kinda flux that does not smoke. Using candle wax and lighting it is about the least smoke I know of. You could sprinkle a small pinch of pine resin now and then on the melt. I like the smell of a little pine pitch.

Tell your wife it is aroma therapy, pine is soothing, calming, and excites the senses (before she smacks you along side the head). It seems women have no tolerance for men things, especially casting CBs :D .....Dan

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 20 January 2013

BACON!!

Attached Files

shovel80 posted this 04 February 2013

Plain old Paraffin like in canning jars is what I use. When put into the melt that's around 750 - 800 degrees...It almost immediately light into fire. No Smoke.

Terry

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 04 February 2013

shovel80 wrote: Plain old Paraffin like in canning jars is what I use. When put into the melt that's around 750 - 800 degrees...It almost immediately light into fire. No Smoke.

Terry

Yea, what he said!

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 05 February 2013

Someone with “house management” try using one of their scented candles and report back. One thing I have noticed is that  burning candles scented or other wise usually deposits carbon on the textured ceiling , espically where ceiling fans are running

Attached Files

303PV posted this 05 February 2013

Thanks for the suggestions. I use olive oil now and sawdust. It still stinks, but it is not so bad. Better ventilation and a better control of the casting temperature also helps. :dude:

Attached Files

454PB posted this 05 February 2013

I've been using Marvelux for indoor casting for 30 years. I don't skim the dross off after fluxing, instead I leave it there for an additional oxygen barrier.

The most important thing to remember when using Marvelux is to preheat any stirring or dipping tools used because Marvelux is hygroscopic and can cause hot alloy to sizzle, pop, and even eject molten lead when a cold stirring tool is inserted. However, that is a good practice no matter what flux you use.

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 09 February 2013

delmarskid1 wrote: BACON!!

Too expensive for my blood, and the thought of melting something I like to eat is just unthinkable.

I have used marvalux for years, and it has worked great for me. I like my lead on the hot side for molding. I only flux when the melt is at or around 800 the marvalux is a little messy for a little bit but I mix it in and at 800 it burns to a nice black powder quickly and skims off nicely along with the impuritys. I have also tried saw dust (to much trouble) it does work but takes to much time. Maybe I'm in to much of a hurry. I have also tried candle wax, bullet lube, valve grease which is also a very good bullet lube, but I always seem to come back to marvalux though.

Ah, one more thing. Valve grease was made for valves used at patroleum industry refineries, and tank farms (it is not for lubricating, it keeps the valves from leaking). I was given a bunch of it when the oil company I was working for changed brands of valve grease. The new stuff was supposed to work better for valves. The valve grease was applied with a large grease gun through a zirt just like on a car. Valve grease is paraffin based and is about the same consistancy as lymans bullet lub.

Attached Files

Close