Bench mount for spotting scope

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 16 January 2013
John Alexander posted this 24 June 2012

I would like to be able to mount a spotting scope on the shooting bench. I have seen such set ups. Some have made use of a pipe clamp to grip the bench. What is the best kind and where can they be ordered?

Thanks for the help.

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mike morrison posted this 24 June 2012

John, I have a 2010A Sinclair Catalog. I believe what you are asking for is on page 155 they call it a bench/scope stand. part #06-3200. hope this helps. Can't find fmy Champions Choice Catalog but i am sure they have something also. good luck mike

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 24 June 2012

I take pix of what I see at the matches - there are a hundred ways of doing home-built scope stands that clamp to the table. Working on a design. Someday ....

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 24 June 2012

The best kind isnt a spotting scope stand. its a stand for lights and heat guns and blowers used by autobody shops.Quite heavy usualy has 2-3 pole sections that clamp or lock in any position.I set mine on the ground next too the bench (has three legs) and agj. the cross bar to hang over the bench and lock my scope on the end of the bar.This makes for more area and im not always bumping the scope with my elbows

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 25 June 2012

The best bench mount spotting scope stand is a camera tripod on the ground. That's my opinion after making/having several bench mounts, Freeland stand, clamps, tripods. They're just in the way or not where you want them to be. Too much stuff in the space including the shooter's body.

joe b.

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 25 June 2012

John: I like my spotting scope close to my face, mainly for speed, - to look and get the next shot off. I made this one 6 years ago with parts from the local hardware. Both the top and bottom clamps are sliders on an 18” pipe. I can remove then and use them as a clamp or expander for wood working projects. I bought an elbow and a short piece of threaded pipe and found a scrap block at the welding shop to be welded onto the short piece of pipe. The I use one of my window mounts for my spotting scope. Works great on any thickness of bench top, desk top, 2x6 top, or thick concrete. The picture is nor the sharpest, hope you can see it OK. Reg

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 26 June 2012

I agree with Joe on this one. If it doesn't work you have a head start on a chronograph stand.

Attached Files

swifty posted this 12 January 2013

John, Put the window mount on the scope, go to the hardware store and get a 18-24” bar clamp (flat bar, not a tube). put the bar clamp on the bench where you want it then use the window mount to clamp the scope to the bar clamp. Works like a charm, light weight, nothing to build, inexpensive (my Irwin brand clamp was about $14) and fully adjustable for any bench and height, angle ect.-Muddy

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 13 January 2013

Muddy, Nice to see you back again. Hope all is OK. Ric

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 13 January 2013

Thanks Swifty,

Another good suggestion. I have the bar clamp and need a window mount. I will give it a try.

John

Attached Files

swifty posted this 15 January 2013

Ric, Thanks, everything/one is fine. Just had to finally redo my password/username as the old quit working-Muddy

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 15 January 2013

Here is the Sinclair mount. It is of high quality but is pricy:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/search/index.htm?k=bench+scope+mount&ksubmit=y

Dale53

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 15 January 2013

I use the Sinclair mount and it doesn't get in the way. I've seen cheaper versions of it utilizing pipe clamps and a piece of pipe. They aren't as pretty but are just as functional.

Also contrary to another poster's comments above, when set up properly, it does not take up hardly any bench space.

Attached Files

swifty posted this 16 January 2013

That's the nice thing about the bar clamp, almost everything is off the side of the bench-Muddy

Attached Files

swifty posted this 16 January 2013

Billwnr, The Fort Colville Gun Club is having a gun show here on Feb. 16-17 at the Stevens County Fair Grounds (Colville), 8:30 till 5 or so w/ entry fee of $5.00. Pass it around down that way if you will. The club will have a table if you come, ask for Judd I'd like to meet you. Thanks a bunch-Muddy

Attached Files

Close