Hello from Pennsylvania

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 05 July 2012
tcooz posted this 04 July 2012

I am originally from Brooklyn. I have lived in Macungie, outside Allentown, for almost 10 years. I spent all of my summers in the Honesdale area until I was 19 years old. I love the area and couldn't wait to get back to it when I retired. I have been reloading since 1962 but started casting recently. I would love to sit down and chat with casters somewhere in the area to pick some brains.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mike morrison posted this 04 July 2012

Welcome tcooz. you will learn a lot here. m

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 July 2012

I lived in Dickson City PA for a few months when I was married to ball and chain #2 .

Used to be a member of the Factoryville Sportsman Club . Also hunted several years in the Newfoundland PA area .

Nice enough place up there as long as you don't need a job !

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 July 2012

Welcome to you TC! If you need some brains to pick there are certainly here. We could use some new stories and adventures.

Jeff

Attached Files

muley posted this 04 July 2012

Welcome tcooz. u  are not that far away. If u wish to try some bench shooting, chech out the tamaqua, Pa shooting club. good bunch of guys .

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 04 July 2012

Welcome!  Love PA. I spent several summers in Parker, PA as a boy. Been casting since 1956 when I was 6 and only shoot cast in many calibers. Ask away if you have questions, we can all learn more. RanchDog molds are my favorite and a new one is on the way again.

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 05 July 2012

Grew up in Tioga, PA.. Fond memories. Had a lot of fun with a rock and a stick. Moved to MD in '77 due to high unemployment up there. Good to see you here. The people on this forum baffle me with their knowledge & their willingness to share it. I've been on a lot of forums but this is the best I've found.

Pat Reynolds

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

tcooz posted this 05 July 2012

I have loaded a few .30 30 Win. Cast bullets. I find that I have to crimp the case neck. To be sure the bullet stays seated in the tubular magazine. I am concerned about increasing the pressure. Any thoughts about that?

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 05 July 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6546>tcooz:

There is a difference in pressure change between crimping cast bullets and crimping jacketed bullets.

Over  crimped cast bullets risk the effect of the crimp re-sizing the bullet smaller upon firing causing gas jetting and accuracy loss. Cast bullets are so much softer than jacketed bullets on the BHN scale that pressure changes with crimped cast bullets are non problematic. Jacketed bullets can be belted and bulged by overcrimping causing pressure rise. Cast bullets don't pose that danger, the alloys aren't hard enough.

A Lee Factory Crimp Die does not roll the case mouth into the bullet. My preference is the Lee Factory Crimp die, it has a collet that squeezes the case mouth and the crimp can be measured in thousands of an inch. For the Lee FCD a light crimp is .002” and a heavy crimp is .004” case-mouth diameter decrease.

For my single shot rifles I only use the FCD to close the case mouth flare needed for bullet seating. I close it back to Zero after seating bullets.

Gary

Attached Files

tcooz posted this 05 July 2012

Thanks for your information. Does the Lee FCD allow me to adjust the amount of crimp, .002” to .004” ?

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 05 July 2012

Absolutely! It is tricky to measure however. The area on the case-mouth that is crimped is very short, less than 1/16", so I do it the way the Lee Tech Department told me.

Use a dial caliper with beak blades and measure the case mouth before crimping,right at the mouth. After crimping, use a magnifier hood or eye loop to position the beak blades only on the crimped area then measure again.

Do be aware that the die can be set to over crimp! Lee recommends a .002-.004” decrease in case mouth diameter by crimping. The only time I go heavier than that is with cast bullets in .458 Win Mag. My rifle has a magazine and with heavy loads I can get bullet setback unless I crimp .005", but that is the rare extreme. For .308 Win. in a bolt action rifle with cast bullets,  I crimp .003” as a standard example. For bullets in single shot rifles I only use the FCD to bring the case mouth flare back to zero.

Gary

Attached Files

Close