Old books

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 05 September 2012
CB posted this 26 August 2012

I just picked up a copy of Phil Sharps “Complete Guide To Handloading", and am avidly reading it. The book was originally written in the '30s, and my copy is like the third update to the second edition, or something like that, and was published in 1953.

The casting section of the book is a hoot so far. I don't believe Phil was as avid of a caster as he wants the reader to believe, because some of his statements are just plain wrong. Regardless, the book is a great window into the past, and can give the reader insight into how reloading has developed over the last century. Back in the olden days, you really had to work hard to accomplish many of the things we take for granted today.

That said, I do prefer Elmer Keiths life and writing style because I can relate to it a lot closer. However, I bought my copy for $10.00, and it's money well spent.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 26 August 2012

:coffee    Most old time writers will express ideas we hold as wrong, basically because they had no internet and their peers would have to write them a letter to debate any issue. 

Nevertheless, they cast, they shot, they wrote. A lot of shooters have experimental ideas that cannot be disproved for lack of exposure.  That's life.

Ron

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 26 August 2012

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 26 August 2012

Phil Sharpe was an erudite individual, and his writing reflects that. Sure, a lot of the info is dated, but a guy could do a lot worse if all he did was read one book on the subject.

Keith was semi-literate at best. The only reason his books and articles are readable was due to the heavy editing thereof.

Most of those old guys were narrow minded in that their ideas were best, period. A good example of that is anything by Capt. E.C.Crossman. The man forgot more about Springfields than anybody else knew, but he was an opinionated rascal who brooked little tolerance for anything foreign to his experience. (Not to mention the most non 'PC' writer of the bunch!) They all wrote stuff worth reading today, but the modern knowledgeable reader will know when to add a little salt.

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 August 2012

I'm not bashing his knowledge by any means. Still, it is funny when he refers to mould blocks being soldered together (forever) because the mould was overheated. He too felt that 1:20 alloy was really hard stuff. Nowdays there are casters that won't make wadcutters from 1:20 because it's too soft. Sharpe contributed a lot to what we know today about ballistics.

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 September 2012

Wow! After chuckling over some of the cast bullet suggestions, I started reading the rest of the book (RTFM). Although some information is a bit dated, the book gives me tremendous insight into state of the art reloading circa 1935. I didn't realize the Star sizer dates back to the 1930s, and is virtually unchanged to this day, except for some seal & linkage evolution. The chapter on primers was more than worth the price of the book. If you find a copy that you can afford, I recommend you buy it.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 03 September 2012

Absolutely. And after that, root out a copy of Earl Narramore's “Principles and Practices of Loading Ammunition", written on the cusp of the 'modern' age, so it's not as dated as Sharpe's.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 03 September 2012

gnoahhh wrote: Absolutely. And after that, root out a copy of Earl Narramore's “Principles and Practices of Loading Ammunition", written on the cusp of the 'modern' age, so it's not as dated as Sharpe's.

Much of his cast bullet stuff was pretty good.Some was not but he didn't try to act like an authority on the subject.I like the book but many of my older friends dont like it.i didn't care for Matterns for Some reason.Sharpe's stuff is filled with too much strong opinion but much of it is good reading.Im also mixed on Manns “the bullets flight"For its time it was a really a bunch of groundbreaking experiments on why shots go bad but much of it was just plain goofy.it sort of a must read but not the Torah of cast bullets as some claim it is.Another “sort of” classic is Roberts Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle"That one is full of some very suspect accuracy claims. In one part of the book i found he completely plagiarized and early 1930's American Rifleman article and claims it as his interview (of Carlos Gove i believe).Not sure if there really was and “Uncle Alvero"But there is lots of good info on the early accuate muzzle loader target rifles. George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 September 2012

Mattern's Handloading Ammunition, the first ever hardback book on reloading, is difficult for modern folks to get around. He was born about 1850 and was in his 70's/80's when the book was written. His work predates the reloading press for the individual, everything was hand tools. There is a snap shot of the reloading from the beginning of metallic cartridges to the beginning of WWI and the sale of presses to individuals.

If Franklin Mann is the person whose shoulders ballistics stands on, J. R. Mattern is the man Sharpe and everone else stands upon.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 03 September 2012

i just didn't like Mattterns writing style.Of course last i read it was 25 years ago maybe my tastes have changed.I still think much of Mann's stuff was so-so in usefulness.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 September 2012

George, I agree about “usefulness” but they are a basis of how the “Scientific Method", repeated experiments with the same results, Mann, and the art of reloading began. Before that it was all Barlow's monkey see, monkey do, salesmanship and advertising in Ideal Handbooks. Reading the literature of the day, it was all testimonials and opinion. They are the men that lead the advancment out of the German Schutzen myths. Ric

Attached Files

adrians posted this 05 September 2012

Mr sharpe and Mr pope,,,, ( inside cover pic)

Attached Files

Close