casting help

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 17 September 2012
mybuckstar posted this 06 September 2012

I need some help with my 9mm reloads. I cast my own projectiles from wheel weights. I cast some from a Lee bullet mould 124gr and 102gr. I have been using clays and unique powder. I've varied my powder from 3.2 grain up to 5 grains. The problem I am having is I'm shooting an xdm 5.25” competition pistol, and no matter what I do I am getting a serious leading problem in the barrel. I have read many posts about people casting/reloading with lead and not having any issues. I need any advise. forgot to mention I size projectiles with jakes moly and lymans orange magic. I'm only having issues in the xdm.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 September 2012

firstly, congrats on picking a neat pistol...my son-in-law shoots one in 40 sw...

nextly, guessing from afar, i would check your chamber dimensions...especially your throat dia.  most of the literature calls for 0.355 dia bullets..  for 9mm..... but yours might accept larger dia....i shoot 0.358 in my beretta.

fill the throat, dont worry about matching to the groove dia. as a priority.

try just a few loads with the larger bullets...check for feeding and pressure as you go along.

this is another of those rules that usually work ...sometimes...mostly  ..  (g) ken

Attached Files

mybuckstar posted this 06 September 2012

thanks ken, I use a lyman lube sizer and size to .356 I have been wondering if I needed to go up to a .357 but am not sure. If so I'd have to buy a different mould, becouse lee doesn't make one larger for a 9mm and I am a cheapskate. I was wondering if I was undersized and getting gas blow by. Honestly I'm getting so frustrated with this that I'm bout ready to only use fmj.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 12 September 2012

guessing undersized bullet for bore.  I don't cast for 9mm...  but for my 44 SPC/45 Colt/45 ACP - all are cast +.001 over bore size.  No leading problems.

Also, not sure what lube you are using.  And lube is not normally the reason fro leading...  But I am using 45/45/10 lube in all mine and getting very good results, fwiw.

Attached Files

mybuckstar posted this 12 September 2012

thanks, I am believing my .356 dia. to be undersized for my xdm. I have ordered a new .358 dia bullet mold and a .357 and .358 dia. lube sizing die for my lyman. I am using Jakes moly lube. I really hope that this fixes my problem becouse I have alot invested into this project.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 September 2012

you might pick up another thousandth or so by using softer even ...alloy...this sounds dumb, but a larger softer bullet might ...might ..might ...lead less than a harder less dia.  bullet.  this for your new bigger molds, you might not get there with the 355 dia. i might be interested in your lee 355 mold...shoot me a delivered price  and cavity count if interested.  i will stick it in a 4 jaw and bore it out to something bigger anyway (g)

ken   [email protected]   my pm doesnt work..

Attached Files

buffalo george posted this 12 September 2012

The 9 mm works at high pressures , non compatible with air cooled undersize wheel weigt alloy. Try water quenched WW or linotype ,better lino and gas checks. Use the lightest load that functions the pistol . If the sport you are shooting in, requires a high power factor, I fear you are bound for failure. I get a 120 power factor with 130 grs commercial hard bullets at 950 - 100 feet per second.Sized to 357 in a 9x21 STI Spartan pistol And a lot of leading with the Lee tumble lube unsized and lubed with liquid alox.

The 9x21 ,in Italy the 9x19 is illegal, has two good points ,it is chap and has low recoil.

45ACP is much better for a reloader, even the 40 s&w might be good for easy reloads.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 14 September 2012

What dia are the bullets when they drop from the moulds? If they are .357 or larger leave unsized and just lube with LLA.
Where is leading occuring? Back towards the throat or up at the muzzle? If at the muzzle, generally then vels are too fast or the lube not up to task. If back towards the throat then you are getting gas blow by. This calls for a softer alloy and/or larger dia on the slugs. My preference is for plain base over bevel base bullets where I can. Something to be said about a nice flat, tight to edges plain base bullet.

Good luck. Michael.

PS. My wife and I have some friends from Blackfoot.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 15 September 2012

Hey mybuckstar

The advice given and the steps you are taking are sound. As to the leading, location is helpful in diagnosing some of the potential issues. Make single changes at a time and document all results.

9mm is one of my favorite calibers for most of the move and shoot games. Cast projectiles are all I ever use for them, regardless of caliber. Springfield armory suffers along with Colt, Smith and the others when it comes to manufacturing mistakes. Accommodating individual firearms is an integral part of reloading and accounts for a significant amount of my income. Keep us posted on your bulleteering efforts. There is always a slim chance I may have a few more helpful things for you if needed later on. Best of skill to you.

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 15 September 2012

You might review the information in this thread on leading.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=4384&forum_id=54>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=4384&forumid=54

Then you might want to check your PM's.    Duane

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 15 September 2012

:cool:      You may want to really clean the copper out of the gun first.  I had leading in a 41 magnum Blackhawk.   I had to scrub it out in excess of four times to get the copper fouling out so that it didn't attract lead.  I found it easier to just never use fmj at all. 

A better and less expenisve lube helps.  I feed everything Carnuba Red from a heated (pin style) Lyman 4500.

http://www.lsstuff.com/>http://www.lsstuff.com/

With the revolvers really cleaned out, I use carnuba red and clean with mineral spirits paint thinner.   At the extreme, Carnuba Red dissolves with acetone but, I've only had to do that once.  Hoppe's #9 is for copper, that I do know.

Good Luck,

Ron           :lovecast:

Attached Files

mybuckstar posted this 17 September 2012

Still having leading issues. I have reduced my load of clays to a load that will barely cycle the firearm properly. So I know my charge is not “hot". I have made some projectiles at .357 dia. after just ten rounds I checked to barrel and still have leading..I hear some people talk about glocks not being able to shoot lead? and have to get a barrel from lone wolf dist. that will alow them to shoot lead. could my barrel in my xdm 5.25” competition pistol be the same way??

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 17 September 2012

To check your PM's. look at the left margin of the main forum page and you will see toward the top of the page, a section marked “PM"

Left click on that and it will take you to another page of messages.  You will see inbox, sent, and a couple of others.  Inbox will probably already be highlighted in blue.  Left click on that.

The first column is the name of the individual and the second column is subject.  Left click on the “subject” or topic line you want to read.  Sorry guys, just trying to help him get to PM's.  I will check back later. 

You might also want to close out one of those threads which are duplicates.   Duane

Attached Files

Close