Benchrest 50 caliber Inline RB match rifle ?

• 3.1K Views
  • Last Post 26 September 2012
linoww posted this 23 September 2012

<font="arial">Just got one and its set up for patched RB.It's about 14# and has a 1.125"x 36” 1-70 barrel.Not much info on these.What does anybody know about them? George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 23 September 2012

Use the softest pure lead. There are formulas for determining optimum patch thickness but “feel” and cloth quality is really just as important.

Patch lube is a never ending discussion. Find what works for you and does not effect powder.

The rest is just having a slick hard shined bore, finding what your rifle likes and marksmanship.

Gary

Attached Files

I have my other ML's shooting ball very well with not alot of work other than a tight fitting patch ball combo.When i started shooting ML's seriously more than a year or so ago much of the info i got ended up being wivestales.Like-"fast twist wont shoot RB” My 1-32” conical gun that shoots patched RB with 100g charges as well any slow “RB twist” guns I have seen.Or “weighed RB's shoot 1” smaller groups at 50 yards” I intentionally damaged/drilled them and actually got smaller groups.With this rifle i can use real match sights or scope and see smaller difference(i hope anyway)

I also hear rumor the BR roundball guys shoot huge loads of 150 or more powder.I also have heard teflon used with the patching also.I hope some one here has used one of these and has a few tricks of the trade.

George

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 September 2012

I never shot a roundball bench gun, but enjoyed a .50 cal flinter patched roundball gun when I was in NH, a 66” twist Green Mountain barrel on a T/C Renegade. A stone killer on deer with roundball cast 1:40 or 1:60 tin/lead, with 120 grains of 3Fg, about 2000 fps in 33” barrel. It would cut cloverleafs at 50 yards, I never used anything but muslin pocket drill for patches very lightly lubricated with Crisco. I used .500 balls and .010 patch, loading with a light hammer and short starter.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

that 120g charge of FFF load had to really be moving out there!

George

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 23 September 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=807>linoww:

Nice looking rifle George. Do note the scope is mounted  so far back that shooting in another position besides sitting up straight at the bench could cause you a serious hurting broken eye brow bone pretty easily.

I get my patch material at sewing shops. I take my micrometer and ask to see high thread count top quality tight weave cotton linen .014” thick. They usually get a funny look on their faces at my Starrett micrometer in hand,  but point me to the cotton linens.

Gary

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 September 2012

linoww wrote: that 120g charge of FFF load had to really be moving out there! Chronographed over 2000 fps.  Thumb-sized exit hole in deer, kills better than factory loads fired from a .30-30, buck literally blown off his feet kicking.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 23 September 2012

You may check with the “over the log match” shooters of muzzle loaders. They shoot prone at about 50 yds. with near bench rest fanaticism. Those guys shoot light charges with very tight patches lubed with God knows what. Crisco is a good place to start. Peanut oil blends are said to be good. Teflon looked like a winner for patch material. Heavy charges have given me very good groups many times but fouling is a BEAR! I like to shoot, load, and then wipe the bore with a damp loose cloth. This keeps the fouling from filling the bottom of the chamber. Consistency is the key here. If it were me starting out with this rifle I would start at 70g of swiss fff, a .495” ball and a .012” teflon muzzle loading patch. Pyrodex P for pistol is a clean and consistent powder as well. CCI primers are good. Musket cap nipples can be found to fit non- military rifles. musket caps are hot and are easy to handle with big cold fingers. Nipples make a difference. Long range muzzle load match shooters count the rounds fired through nipples and note that accuracy falls off after 500 rounds or so. The heavy charges blow back through the nipple and the holes will get bigger and groups open up. Alcan, and Hot-Shot are well thought of. Have fun with it. I've had a couple of guns that would make 2” or under at 100 yards but the load work took weeks or months. Store bought swagged balls shoot best. Sorry, best for me!

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 23 September 2012

George, measure the depth of the grooves, that kinda gives you a starting point. Like Gary says take a mic to the fabric store and buy a yard of.015, .016/7 , .o18, and .022” cheap stuff to experiment with. I found with all of the muzzle loading match shooting that I have done that a dry patch on top of a damp bore gives the tightest groups. I used FF in dry weather and FFF in wet weather. Of course loads were established by group sizes in those weather conditions, 100's of shots were fired. Back East there was a match at 25 yards open sights only. I used a 44 cal barrel from Numricks that ended up with a bore size .420” and a 36"twist, 60 grains of FFG and 55 grains FFF shot bug holes with .010” table cloth material. My peep sighted match gun was .445” Numrick 48” twist (lapped) with .017” flowered ticking. The matches that I participated in were nearly all day affairs so the big caliber-ed stuff was too hard on the shoulder. Most matches were shot with spit patches except when the chips were down at the bench and then I shot dry patches. I would clean every shot, one wet patch in and out, no scrubbing and followed by a dry patch in and out - no scrubbing, then the dry patched ball in on the slightly damp barrel. In general I found that slower twists require more powder. My new match (2011) shoots one hole with a load of 120 grains of FFG, but I can't stand the recoil and have been playing with 90 gr. of FFg. I have a lot of different thicknesses of ticking, drop me line and I'll send you some to play with. I have attached a target from the “quick twist) 42 cal muzzle loader. Warmest, Reg

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 September 2012

Took it out for a quickie this PM.I just took along some .495 Hornady's and .015 blue ticking lubed with Hoppes patch lube.I set the measure at 85g of Goex FF and went to work.Shooting three at a time to get my zero they were clover-leafing every time at 50 yards.I then swabbed the bore and shot one 5 shot group.The first 4 were actually just an oblong hole then #5 made it about 5/8".The i proceeded to have my cleaning rod jag end come off in the barrel and had to shoot it out with some FFFF dumped into the breech end.I also have to get a better front rest arraignment to hold it steadier.Learning as i go!!

cant wait for that sight to arrive Reg! Its hard to get caps on under a scope.

George

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 24 September 2012

What does the bore measure, a slide fit with a ball, zero clearance not loose.     I am sending some sample patching material and if you want it a freebie low front sight. Reg

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 September 2012

Haven't got around to checking bore dia.yet.I could use a lower ft sight for sure.I have a bunch of patching to play with from when i way trying to get smooth bores to shoot but anything would help.

Thanks

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 24 September 2012

I wish I had that kind of luck with a first try.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 September 2012

delmarskid1 wrote: I wish I had that kind of luck with a first try.

I'm sure it wont happen again.

George

Attached Files

Close