38 Sp

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 24 September 2012
tbierley posted this 24 September 2012

I got 2000 Lee cast bullets today that came from a Lee Mold DC TL356-124-TC. I checked them, they all mic out a .357 to .358 I need to know if I can use the 38 Special load for my wife around 650 to 750 fps. I was going to tumble lude them. Any load data?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 24 September 2012

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp>http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridgeload.asp

You really should consider getting one of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks.

Duane

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 24 September 2012

tbierley wrote: I got 2000 Lee cast bullets today that came from a Lee Mold DC TL356-124-TC. I checked them, they all mic out a .357 to .358 I need to know if I can use the 38 Special load for my wife around 650 to 750 fps. I was going to tumble lude them. Any load data? Better measure the throats on that wheelgun & size accordingly before sending lead downrange otherwise you may be dissapointed.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 September 2012

Before you spend alot of time loading these 9mm bulets I urge you to check the cylinder throat diameters of your revolver. If the bullets are harder than about 10 BHN they will not “slug up” and at .357-.358 they may be undersized, and therefore may lead, even with light loads.

If bullets are not harder than 10 BHN and not smaller than 0.001” below cylinder throat size, then 3.5 grains of Bullseye with a 125-gr. bullet will give you about 750 fps,from a 4” ,approximating the old Army Ball M41 load.  I do not recommend reducing this charge as ignition will be erratic.

If bullets are harder AND undersized, you can expect leading and poor accuracy. 

Better to get some bullets which fit, rather than frustrating yourself.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 24 September 2012

Ed,

Speaking of .38 Special...the old S&W Model 52 semi-auto. Gil Hebert's book “Pistol Shooter's Treasury” has some loads in a separate chapter of the book. Do you have any “pet loads” for that gun, using the mandatory flush seated wadcutters?

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 24 September 2012

I had a Mod 52 a very low serial number, loved it until the rear sight fell off in a match. Its one hole group load was 2.7 gr. of Bulls Eye. Reg

Attached Files

Oh I forgot, groove diameter of my barrel was .254” Reg

Attached Files

León posted this 24 September 2012

Reg, I know my S&W 52 is bored tight, but I haven't come across one at .254” Could yours really be .354"?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 September 2012

Think you meant. 354, with current Bullseye use 3.0 grs. with flush seated Remington HBWC, 3.2 with DEWC.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 24 September 2012

Simple test- push some of the bullets thru the chambers. If they just about fall thru they are too small. If you can't push them thru with a pencil by hand pressure they are too big. I haven't seen any .38/.357 yet that liked anything under .359, usually .360 is the magic number for me.

Attached Files

Slip of the brain, .354” . Found several others at the time in our pistol club that were the same size. Reg

Attached Files

Close