Grandson's 1st buck, His cast bullets too

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 06 May 2013
onondaga posted this 17 November 2012

8:05 AM, Nov. 17, 2012 our opening day for Big Game/Rifle, My grandson Colin had a clean hit harvest of a 6 point Whitetail. With his Savage 11/111 in .308 Win. His load is 36.1 grains H4895 with the Lee 170 gr. FNGC at 2300+ fps. This load groups 5/8” for him at 50 yards and just under 3” at 150 yards. His shot was about 90 yards.

You can see the FNGC entrance wound at the base of the neck in this photo.

We hunted from a small pop-up ground blind on the corner of my pond dyke where the deer head into the hardwood forest after crossing a meadow. I have taught Colin to think in 3D about the location of vital organs in a deer and his cast bullet went diagonally through the deer from the front and  vaporized both lungs. This  set the Buck back on his haunches. He bolted forward but dropped still in less than 25 yards.

I supervised Colin field dressing his first Deer and we took it to the Deer processing shop, Buck&Doe in Amherst, NY where he works. Colin is 16 years old and has hunted well with the bullets he cast and loaded himself.

The DEC Deer Check Stop aged the buck at 1.5 years old. Colin is 6'3” tall and makes the deer look small, but it isn't.

Gary

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 17 November 2012

Good Job Colin! Good Job Grandpa!

Attached Files

kevo posted this 17 November 2012

Great job, looks like plenty of venison to go round. Wonderful to see the family ties continuing on the hunting traditions. Cheers,Kevo.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 18 November 2012

Kevo:

About 5 years ago Colin called me out of the blue and asked me if I would help him get started in Archery and Shooting for hunting.....Who could say no to that?

But, at this point, I gotta say,  he is still terrified of Bears and has only once accompanied me Bear hunting, Then, he just had to carry my .500S&W rifle and he was very jumpy when the dens came into view.  He was visibly shaken when I told him that if he got a shot,  to only shoot at a bears central nerve system and reload instantly then keep shooting till it drops. I guess that is a little much for a kid to hear.

My club, LaSalle Sportsmen in Lewiston, NY has free membership for kids and grand-kids of members  till they are 18 with very encouraging education and field activities. They have been a major help with Colin too. He shoots bow or gun with the best of them and sometimes bests them! His cast bullets get an audience at the range when somebody notices them and he talks their ears off just like me.   Gary

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 18 November 2012

That is spectacular Gary. Good on you both.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 20 November 2012

All around a great thing! Well done Gary.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 20 November 2012

That's very cool. Some darned good eating there. We have till the end of this week for our regular season here in Wi. Junior has raised the bar!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 November 2012

good on both of you !

almost brought tears to my eyes ...well, almost ... me being a trained killer for the military, i only cry after elections  ( g ) .

i early indoctrinated 3 of my grandkids to shooting ...airguns, then 22 rimfire, then carefully, pistols ...

2 of 3 still like to shoot, the oldest got a deer or two already ...  so far we have lost the 3rd kid to video games ... (g)

grandpa ken

Attached Files

catncarp posted this 25 November 2012

Great job and thanks for sharing

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 11 December 2012

very well done for both of you...you must be so proud of him and so you should be!

Attached Files

OnHoPr posted this 05 May 2013

That is good that you sparked an interest in Collin. I hope he sticks with it. Sounds like he has a good teacher/mentor. Nice buck. Good job to both of you.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 06 May 2013

Thanks, he is a good kid. We turkey hunted today and called in 2 hens only.  The deer picture.. Look at the  tongue sticking out of the bucks mouth. I told Colin they look deader that way and he pulled it out for the bottom  photo!!!

That buck has been delicious, Just had boneless  marinated butterfly chops last nite.

Gary

Attached Files

Close