Recommendations request, How to clean up and treat a Rem 1917 stock

• 6K Views
  • Last Post 10 July 2017
corerf posted this 01 December 2012

Picked up an OLD EARLY CAI import Rem 1917 Eddy, still in cosmo. Have done well with the metal parts, need recommendations on what to do about the stock that is full of cosmo, sticky on the outside, etc. Not sure how to start.

Thanks in advance.

I dont want anything that will eliminate it from Military Shoots!

Mike

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 01 December 2012

First, avoid “oven clearners", lye and other corrosive chemcials. I know others recommend them, I don't.

Second, it is linseed soaked wood. The packing chemicals are oil based. A small amount of mineral sprits and a roll of paper towels to start. Murphy's Oil wood soap and water, many coats, wrap in a black plastic bag and place in the sun. More Murphy's oil soap and water.

At some point, you will say enough. A light coat of linseed oil, or tong oil, and you are good to go.

Ric

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 01 December 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1362>corerf:

Mineral spirits will do it with fluffy rags like old sweat pants, but be careful what kind of mineral spirits you get. Generally they are very stinky, but if you look, you can get odorless Mineral spirits.

The stink from regular mineral spirits will linger a very long time, get the odorless!

Gary

Attached Files

corerf posted this 01 December 2012

I used odorless mineral spirits for the cleaning of the metal parts, bore, etc.

What does the murphys and the plastic bag with sun do for me? What process other than cosmo removal does that perform? Will the water expand/swell the wood?

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 01 December 2012

I've been reluctant to use more chemicals to remove oil and cosmoline from the wood. Sunshine and a roll of paper towels has worked pretty good for me. A blow dryer will also get a lot of that stuff to bleed up to the surface, I just avoid heating the wood up too much. It will keep coming out for a while, if it's really soaked. I use cheap house brand engine degreaser on the metal, no ill effects. It smells like kerosene to me. Congratulations on your new baby, I'm jealous. Give us a picture if you can.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 December 2012

Water and Murphy's will remove the water soluable stuff, i.e. dirt and grime. Petro stuff only works on oil based stuff. 90 year old linseed oil will have hardened and water will not swell it much, if at all. Wood was made to get and be wet with water. You don't have to soak it in a tub, but a bucket of hot water will not hurt anything.

The wrap in paper towels in a garbage bag is to heat the oils and grease in the wood fiber after you lay it out in the sun. There will be a lot in there. You can use a hair dryer, but not a heat gun. From personal experience, you can get it hot enough to get the grease to burn as it runs off the stock!

Best, Ric

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 December 2012

Gary, I like the smell of mineral spirits! But then I use old cigar butts to flux my lead pot. To each their own. Ric

Attached Files

corerf posted this 02 December 2012

Thanks Ric. That helps me huge in knowing WHY i'm doing what you suggested. If I can get some CA sun to emerge, I will get started. Until then, I cant reassemble as the stock will defile the polished state of the steel work.

On the same note, but different-- laugh now.

I checked headspace on the rifle and came up with GO plus .003......... apparently that is exceptionally tight for a m17. 1.9400 +.003/4

The NO-GO is 1.9406

I'm flippin excited. A really good bore, really good lands (it is counterbored so the crown is crap most likely) and now a really tight chamber (per many others I have read about that were .010 past the field gauge). Thats about what a current factory rifle might be set at, well a bit looser I'd hope but pretty good for a military loose chamber.

The only broken part is the rear sight elevator adj. spring, a little V shaped leaf. It was broken before I tried to unstick the adjuster and the adjuster works now but would hold better with a valid spring. I might try my hand at making one. If I put a tall enough coil spring under it (all of 1.5 turns), it might not fall out on the first shot either. I will try to source a replacement spring.

A screw is REALLY stuck on the front sling/barrel band. It will require heat, force, luck, Kroil and all that is Holy if I want it out.

But otherwise I believe I scored really well.

BTW: Paid $125 for it.

Cant find a date on the barrel. Only P, a triangle circle with C in it,, the number 2 and a funny thing on the underside of the barrel midforend area. I don't think it got a new barrel ever. But I also think it was preserved from use some as well. Compared to many others. Certainly not one of the 1950's surplus ones that were mint and got chopped into sporters.

I have other mil surps but dont shoot any of them. I will be shooting this one as it is '06, a pet. And you can bet if it's accurate, I be throwing my hat in to the Postals finally.

Its a really friggin heavy rifle. My bull barrel varmint rifles are up there with this thing. WW1 troops had stones! The Germans with the mausers had it easy. Its a few ounces lighter than the Garand!

Attached Files

tominct posted this 02 December 2012

If the sun won't come out here's another idea.

A fellow I shot with used a hotplate and held the stock over it at a distance until the oil started to weep from the stock. The wood will need to get pretty warm.. Wipe with a dry cloth and repeat until it stops or is at a level of clean that you like. Then whatever cleaner you like and go from there.

Good luck on your new rifle.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 08 December 2012

RicinYakima wrote: First, avoid “oven clearners", lye and other corrosive chemcials. I know others recommend them, I don't.

Second, it is linseed soaked wood. The packing chemicals are oil based. A small amount of mineral sprits and a roll of paper towels to start. Murphy's Oil wood soap and water, many coats, wrap in a black plastic bag and place in the sun. More Murphy's oil soap and water.

At some point, you will say enough. A light coat of linseed oil, or tong oil, and you are good to go.

Ric

Ric - don't want to argue, and understand your take.  but...  Have to admit, we used to use oven cleaner on all the Mausers (myself and my German gunshop/shooting buddies when I was there) we cleaned up..  Can't leave it on long, but man it makes quick work of a messy stock. 

I would not hesitate to use it again (and have a stock that really needs it!) with proper caution!  YMMV...

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 December 2012

Oscar+++.,

"it works fast” is the problem. Having worked with enough base spills on railroad ties that have more grease and creoste than you can believe, the first time it gets wet, you have swelling, splitting and dry wood.

It will work, but if you are not carefull, in a couple of years you have punky wood and crap for a stock.

JMHO, Ric

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 December 2012

corerf sez:

I checked headspace on the rifle and came up with GO plus .003......... apparently that is exceptionally tight for a m17. 1.9400 +.003/4

The NO-GO is 1.9406

ken sez:

the no-go is maybe 1.946x  ?

< > ken

Attached Files

corerf posted this 08 December 2012

Ken,

Good eye on the decimal place.

Correct.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 08 December 2012

Ken; If the sun won't come out, and you don't want to hold the stock over a hot plate until the grease oozes out, you could wrap it in cloth and stand or lay it on top of the water heater.  I have done this in several cases where I wanted constant moderate heat, but not with a cosmoline soaked gun stock (yet). Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

corerf posted this 18 February 2013

Follow up post: Progress made.

I finished the metalwork and refurb of action back when I started the thread. But the wood cleanup had not started. Work, family- weather- initiative, have all kept me from even touching the stock.

So I got the flu like everyone else did and had a week off work. Im self employed to the boss was OK with being off w/o pay.

I had purchased a $25 my cost, Remington 550 that the action was severely stuck due to goop, lack of maintenance and rust from salt air. Figured worst case is it's a good starter project for gunsmithing.

Last night I finished the cleanup and it was finished due to a 2 week soak in solvent and then 3 cycles in an ultrasonic bath. Wheh, that works. Anyway, I wrapped up the metal refurb there and did a 4.5 lb trigger job and felt INITIATIVE!

Today I did not attend church as usual on Sunday morn, rather will be there tonight. So I pulled out the solvent again and followed SOME of Ric's advice.

No offense, I just truncated some of the love due to lack of need.

I began with really dirty mineral spirits, used for many gun refurbs. Poured off the cleaner potion and left debris below. Just like cleaning car parts, the metal pan and 0000 wool came out. I was gentle at first and wow the mineral spirits really cut the crap! Thanks to Ric.

I then I decided to take a chance on 00 wool with what was now a mostly clean wiped down stock, no longer super fuzzy from dirt particles, cosmo goo and lord knows what.

00 Wool on the dry stock cut some of the old oil finish off with the deep dirt. Didn't take finish off, just a layer or two cut. So I then went back with solvent on the 00 wool and finished up. The cuts made by 00 allowed the solvent to cut better the really black areas of buildup but not allowing all finish to be removed. As well the stock now has a satin feel, like a fairly fresh oiled stock.

My desire was not to make it pretty, just useful and clean enough to handle, store and use for the next 20 years.

I am at Ric's 2nd step. SUN and BLACK BAG purging. I started late today so I only have SOME sun but tomorrow I may get a good 6 hours of full hot sun. Been warm the last 4 days, very warm. Pushing 75-80. I also used my compressor to blow out all debris, wool fibers and solvent remaining. I have an exceptionally clean stock, retaining a very warm walnut color. One of the handguards is a bit light but I believe it may be a mismatch to the stock set. The wood is just a diff color. I also noticed that my Remington built 1917 is tatooed R everywhere but like 2 parts. The forend tip of the stock has a W stamped under the escucheon. So I am guessing I got a Winchester stock (no other marks on the stock but a number under the butt plate).

Who cares. The action headspaced really tight, the bore is great, the metalwork really cleaned up better than I even expected it to. (sorry no before pics were taken, too stupid to do so).

So I will give it a few days to leak in the sun, allow a few days for it to dry and settle and maybe next weekend, slap 2 coats of BLO on it and reassemble.

An aside- I love steel wool. Its so easy on parts, I can rub bluing as hard and fast as I can(wet) and with 0000 never injure any finish. It will cut synthetic stock finishes pretty easy but they are crap anyway if I have to rub on them!

Looking forward to pulling the trigger.

So- for milsurp postal, I can't modify anything, correct? Trigger, bedding-- both have to stay as issued (or built)- correct? The trigger doesn't leave much to mess with any except surfaces. And the trigger is not awful anyway. I like the '06 and I have yet to dip my toe into a match. I need to cut my teeth this year on something and I think this rifle has a chance to perform pretty good- just based on what I see and measure.

Thats it-

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 February 2013

It sounds like you have a good start! Hope all works well, as I like BLO rubbed out well. Ric

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 18 February 2013

I have taken kitty litter (fresh, not used!), ground it into a relatively fine powder and packed it onto heavily oil soaked milsurp stocks, and leeched a pretty fair amount of juice out of them. A little laborious and time consuming, but like the punch line to an old joke, “what's time to a pig?"

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 19 February 2013

wait untill summer and put it in an old fashioned meal garbage can and leave it in it for several days when it is very hot outside. even if you think it is clean it will surprise you how much more oil comes to the surface. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

corerf posted this 20 February 2013

RAIN, COLD, RAIN--- It got about 4 hours of lousy sun.

I will go ahead and shoot the thing as is, I'll take the advice and wait till Summer to finish the stock. Now that its clean, I have no issues refitting and shooting. Pretty will come later.

Plus the BLO will do better in the warm nights between coats.

Range report will be coming soon.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 17 September 2015

I've used acetone as a cleaner for some old greasy stocks. first do it outside, then get a set of chemical proof gloves take a rag and pour some acetone on the rag and start scrubbing. Repeat as necessary. Another trick is to use acetone and whiting. Whiting can be found at lowes or home depot. get a small dish and first pour in some powdered whiting and mix until it's like a slurry. use an old paintbrush to apply the slurry on to the wood. What happens is the acetone will loosen up and liquify the old oil or grease in the wood and the whiting which is white in color will start to turn brown. When you see the whiting turn brown rest assured that the old grease and oil are being removed. Stay away from wood bleaches. I had one brand react with the oil and grease that a chemical reaction took place. The plastic container was getting hot and the reaction was causing the wood bleach to foam,and fizz and expanding in the container. so you can scratch that one off your list. Frank

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 17 September 2015

I resorted to using kitty litter on a cosmoline soaked Garand stock once. I put it in a long box and covered it with kitty litter that I ground fine by hand. It leeched an unbelievable amount of oil out of the wood and wasn't as laborious as it sounds. Only fly in the ointment was the stock forever after smelled of cat p*ss. I guess I should have used fresh kitty litter...

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 27 September 2015

In the early 60s we bought 1917 Enfields, brand new in the cosmoline, for $35 at Bob Corsetti's gun shop. We sporterized the dickens out of these guns, referring to the Williams gun sight book on sporterizing military rifles. We chopped off the stock, threw away handguards, ground off ears put dozens of coats of Linspeed on and added sights.

Now I explain to the grandkids that it's easy to change/fix/polish/sand/ military rifles, but you can NEVER get the gun back to where it was after these.

I wish we'd left them alone, and now recommend  leaving guns alone-not changing anything beyond maybe cleaning. It's too late for many guns.

Leave it alone.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 29 September 2015

For those of you who have heat pumps as part of your air conditioning system take your stocks and wrap them tightly with some old rags stick inside a black trash bag and stick them on top of the heat pump. Check a couple times a day as the fan on my heat pump blows upwards through the coil. I use it to dry some range brass I occasionally pick up that has mud or dirt on it. I put it in a colander and since the heat pump is running only takes a short while till it's dry. Frank

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 30 October 2015

See that you live in California. So you must have air conditioning. Wrap the stock up in old newspapers then put in black garbage bag and stick on top of the heat pump. I do this with old mauser stocks here in Louisiana so since I'm paying for the heat pump to run may as well get m0ore for my money. whatever any of you do, do not use wood bleach. I was using a two part mix on an old mauser stock and it reacted with the grease on the wood. Started foaming and got hot very fast. Good thing I was out behind the house when it happened. Got the garden hose and spray cleaned the stock then neutralized the wood bleach in the cut down milk jug I was using. Frank

Attached Files

405 Grain posted this 15 October 2016

I've gotten the cosmoline out of several Mauser stocks by putting them inside a black garbage bag with a couple of cups of new kitty litter and leaving them on the dashboard of a car in the summer.  Leave the windows rolled up so it turns into a Suzy homaker bake oven in there, and leave the stock in the car all day long.  At the end of the day dump out all the kitty litter, brush off the stuff that sticks to the stock, or blow it off with compressed air.  Repeat this process two or three times and it will pull virtually all of the grease out of the stock.  The only downside is that you have to wait for summer.

Attached Files

Sawfish posted this 10 July 2017

Gun Parts Company still has many of the parts for the 1917 and P-14 Enfields.  I refinished six Enfields and two Garands using the Easy Off/ hot water method.  They all turned out great.  There is some beautiful wood entombed under that solidified Cosmoline.   After removing the Cosmoline, I raised as many of the dents as I could with the damp cloth hot iron method, and used a filler similar to the old Herter's French Wood Liquid.  I used three coats of polyurethane varnish as a sealer over that rubbing each one down with OOO steel wool.  I bedded the actions with Acraglass more for strength than anything else. I used Tru Oil as a final finish on the Enfields and Tung Oil on the Garands.  Lots of work, but turned out very well.  NOTE: I do not think you can compete in a military match with a glass bedded rifle.  Good luck.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." Rudyard Kipling

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 10 July 2017

I see someone brought up this old post, so I'll open my big mouth & join in.

I bought a Eddystone 1917 about 30+ years ago. It was a wreck.  Parkerized, the bore was rough, muzzle counter-bored, had headspace problems, stock was black with oil & dinged all over. 

I started on the stock; scrubbed it with gasoline & a floorbrush. Dried in in the summer sun (100 degrees+) of SoCal. Then with an old toothbrush I used a commercial wood stripper that WAS NOT environmentally friendly & is no longer made.  I used steel wool and wet rags with an old bottle cap under a clothes iron to raise dents. Took me a year to get down to bare clean unmarked wood. I will never work that hard EVER again on any stock. 10 coats of hand-rubbed linseed oil with #5 rotten stone,  finished with Birchwood Caseys gun stock wax.  A thing of beauty.

I bought a barrel from Numrich Arms. Supposedly a direct G.I. replacement. It wasn't. It was a blued 24" sporter bbl.  That was as far as I ever got. No body made real replacement bbls back then. Now that they do I can't afford it.

But I did shoot it quite a bit. Using an old trick I learned from my Dad, I made up some brass. Loaded it with Sierra reject  .30cal 200grs & the H4895 60% reduced load formula, I managed to find a 100yd load that hit point of aim with the battle sights. I also used a stainless steel brush to clean the bore every 40rds.

Got some 2 1/2" 3 shot groups on occasion. From a solid bench rest.  

Ric, do you really WASTE good cigar butts as a Flux?!?!?!?                                                I smoke 'em down 'til my mustache starts to burn & then chop ' em up to add to my buffler s**t pipe tobacco. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Close