LEE Universal Decapping Die

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 26 December 2012
Pigslayer posted this 21 December 2012

Has anyone here had experience with the LEE Universal Decapping Die?? I am really entertaining the thought of getting one. I have a LEE Challenger press in “Like New” condition that I thought that I would dedicate to the task of decapping. Comments??

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
highstandard40 posted this 21 December 2012

I have one and have had good results with it. I have heard of people having problems with this sort of die, not just Lee but other brands as well, when used on a progressive press. It relates to less than 100% self centering of the decapping rod. I use mine in a single stage press and use a sensible pace. Doing so, I get good results.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 21 December 2012

Highstandard40, Thanks for your post. I think that I'll go ahead & order one.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 21 December 2012

Mine works great. They're inexpensive. Sometimes all you want to do is de-cap. I've used mine on pistol and rifle cases.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 25 December 2012

I've used one for years. I ordered some replacement pins when I ordered it. I have no idea where the pins are now. I deprime all cases prior to cleaning for 30 minutes in 20/40 corn.

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 25 December 2012

I also have one and it's mount to a Lee C-press on top of a wooden box to catch all the primers.Works great.I also have a Lee turrent press mounted on a wooden box.Just cut a hole in the top slightly smaller that the hole in the base

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 25 December 2012

I have one. Some times I move the decapping pin to a regular full length resizing die when I don't want the neck expanded.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 25 December 2012

Pat, I have the LEE Universal Decapping Die. I got it years ago for one specific purpose. I have used it to de-prime bunches of military crimped primer brass. It has worked without fail on some pretty stubborn primers that may have backed out or bent the de-capper on some other dies. The tool is a bull-worker. I have used it on 30-06, 308 and 223

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 25 December 2012

onondaga wrote: Pat, I have the LEE Universal Decapping Die. I got it years ago for one specific purpose. I have used it to de-prime bunches of military crimped primer brass. It has worked without fail on some pretty stubborn primers that may have backed out or bent the de-capper on some other dies. The tool is a bull-worker. I have used it on 30-06, 308 and 223

Gary

Gary,

The reason for my wanting one is that I always like to clean my primer pockets prior to priming. If I were to decap & prime on my new turret they wouldn't get cleaned . . . unless of course I didn't use it in the “Turret” mode. I just decided to use my LEE Challeger press as dedicated to decapping/LEE sizing dies. Oh . .  . thanks for all the good advice & making my latest press purchase.

Pat Reynolds

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 25 December 2012

Pat, I am a turtle slow reloader with my turret press. After I size/de-prime, I remove the case from the shell holder, clean the primer pocket, then the case goes to the Zip Trim. You have to mind where you leave the operating lever of the press when you remove the brass from the holder and not push it backwards but I get the rhythm going without removing the indexing pin.

This year I treated myself to Hornady large and small primer pocket cleaner tools and really like them:

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 26 December 2012

Pigslayer wrote: Has anyone here had experience with the LEE Universal Decapping Die?? I am really entertaining the thought of getting one. I have a LEE Challenger press in “Like New” condition that I thought that I would dedicate to the task of decapping. Comments??

Pat

I have at least a couple. When I bend/break it, they fix it (cost of postage). Berdan primers are beyond it's capability.

Attached Files

Close