New member from Virginia

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 02 January 2013
Ihaveagun posted this 26 December 2012

Howdy all

I've only been avidly casting for a couple of years and I see casting as a never ending learning hobby. I've had lots of help from some very experienced guys and without them I would have been lost.

I cast for 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 spl, 44 mag, 45 ACP and 375 JDJ.

Here is my latest casting in the last week for a 375 JDJ barrel for a TC Contender that I just bought and how it shot. I consider myself lucky to get this accuracy in a first casting and loading for a new cartridge.

Thanks for reading.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 26 December 2012

Good job. The results speak for themselves.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 26 December 2012

I come down your way once or twice a year when J Pillow Auctions has their gun auctions in the Bedford Armory !

Merry Xmas Happy New Year !

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 26 December 2012

I know Joe Pillow and he is a heck of a nice guy. Used to be our UPS delivery guy and his wife and my sister worked together.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 27 December 2012

6pt-sika wrote: I come down your way once or twice a year when J Pillow Auctions has their gun auctions in the Bedford Armory ! ...

Let me know when the next one is!

That is let US know.

I'd like to meet y'all (I'm in Pulaski)

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 28 December 2012

TRK wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: I come down your way once or twice a year when J Pillow Auctions has their gun auctions in the Bedford Armory ! ...

Let me know when the next one is!

That is let US know.

I'd like to meet y'all (I'm in Pulaski) I will look forward to that.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 28 December 2012

Good to have you here! Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 29 December 2012

Pigslayer wrote: Good to have you here! Pat Thanks very much Pat. This is the place to be to learn more about casting.

Attached Files

muley posted this 30 December 2012

Welcome aboard, they are good looking bullets. With groups like those with a contender, why not consider shooting some postal matches. Good shooting, Jim

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 30 December 2012

muley wrote: Welcome aboard, they are good looking bullets. With groups like those with a contender, why not consider shooting some postal matches. Good shooting, Jim Thanks Jim I had never heard of a Postal Match, so I Googled it. Looks like fun. I am going to check on it more. Clint

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 31 December 2012

:coffee    Ah, good, another guy that owns Contenders.  I usually hang around and pester people about my 32-20 and 22 Hornet, lol.  You'll find yourself right at home here! 

A JDJ custom is just great, isn't it?

Good Luck,

Ron

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 31 December 2012

hunterspistol wrote: :coffee    Ah, good, another guy that owns Contenders.  I usually hang around and pester people about my 32-20 and 22 Hornet, lol.  You'll find yourself right at home here! 

A JDJ custom is just great, isn't it?

Good Luck,

Ron Thanks Ron I only have 2 JDJ barrels. The 375 JDJ 12 incher and my first back in 1981 is a 6X223 14 incher. Clint

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 31 December 2012

14” contenders in .35 Rem, 430JDJ and 7TCU. :)

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 31 December 2012

TRK wrote: 14” contenders in .35 Rem, 430JDJ and 7TCU. :)What case is the 430 JDJ based on?

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 January 2013

It's only a 444 shortened by 0.1". I should have gotten a 45-70 bbl but it wasn't offered then.

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 01 January 2013

TRK wrote: It's only a 444 shortened by 0.1". I should have gotten a 45-70 bbl but it wasn't offered then. I looked for it on the SSK site and didn't see it listed. They must not offer it anymore.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 January 2013

I haveagun wrote: TRK wrote: It's only a 444 shortened by 0.1". I should have gotten a 45-70 bbl but it wasn't offered then. I looked for it on the SSK site and didn't see it listed. They must not offer it anymore.

Now that the 45-70 is in the contender, there's not much need for it - much better bullet selection in the 45-70!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 01 January 2013

I had thoughts recently of rebarreling a pair of my 444 rifles to 411 JDJ (the 444 case necked down to .410) . But I prefer the 444's with barrel bands and have a hard enough time with the barrel band screws while shooting 444 so I can imagine the difficulties with the 411 JDJ as they “claim” it's a bit more abrupt and harder on the gun .

Attached Files

Ihaveagun posted this 02 January 2013

TRK wrote: I haveagun wrote: TRK wrote: It's only a 444 shortened by 0.1". I should have gotten a 45-70 bbl but it wasn't offered then. I looked for it on the SSK site and didn't see it listed. They must not offer it anymore.

Now that the 45-70 is in the contender, there's not much need for it - much better bullet selection in the 45-70! Yep. That makes good sense.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 02 January 2013

6pt-sika wrote: I had thoughts recently of rebarreling a pair of my 444 rifles to 411 JDJ (the 444 case necked down to .410) . But I prefer the 444's with barrel bands and have a hard enough time with the barrel band screws while shooting 444 so I can imagine the difficulties with the 411 JDJ as they “claim” it's a bit more abrupt and harder on the gun .

I have a Win 94 in .444 - but it's length of action limits the length of the nose of the bullet to the same profile as with pistol bullets. Unless you single load it.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 02 January 2013

TRK wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: I had thoughts recently of rebarreling a pair of my 444 rifles to 411 JDJ (the 444 case necked down to .410) . But I prefer the 444's with barrel bands and have a hard enough time with the barrel band screws while shooting 444 so I can imagine the difficulties with the 411 JDJ as they “claim” it's a bit more abrupt and harder on the gun .

I have a Win 94 in .444 - but it's length of action limits the length of the nose of the bullet to the same profile as with pistol bullets. Unless you single load it.

I have a copy of Ranch Dog's 411-255GC that he made for the 41 MAG and this one would be fine for a 411 JDJ in a lever action . Also already drew up a seriese of bullets on Mountain Molds program from I believe 200 to 350 grains and they all be short enough in the nose to cycle thru the action . However they would displace a goodly amount of powder .

I have since talked with some other folks that did the same type thing and they told me the old Marlin 444's with the barrel bands like the ones I have would not work . The recoil will bend the the barrel band screws quickly . I've had to replace the screws in a couple of mine just shooting the 444 cast loads so i can imagine how it'll be with the 411 .

The same folks told me it would work wonderfully with the guns that have the mag tube dovetailed to the barrel . I just for some reason don't care for that style to much . Although I do have one like that in 444 for my 400 grainer loads .

Who knows I still have a NIB RD 411-255GC mold and plenty ideas . A 411 JDJ may still be in the cards . But I had originally wanted to do two rifles to begin with . One with a standard 24” barrel like my 444's and another with a 19” barrel like my “Retro 444P” .

Something about that oldest style 444 with the straight grip , monte carlo stock and barrel bands I really like !

And to think when i first started accumulating Marlin's I wouldn't buy a barrel band gun LOL's !

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close