The problem with decapping.

• 7.1K Views
  • Last Post 10 January 2013
Pigslayer posted this 30 December 2012

No matter what press I have owned (RCBS, Lyman, Redding & LEE) I have always had problems with spent primers flying all over & eventually landing on the floor. Well, I recently designated my LEE Challenger press to decapping via a universal decapping die. Yes the little press has a trough to catch the spent primers but as many that actually make it to the trough, make it to the floor. So this morning I made a deflector out of 22 ga. sheet metal that attaches to the original trough screw holes and, yes, deflects the primers to the trough. I'm waiting for the paint to dry on this little attachment so I can put it to use. I'll post some pics soon.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 30 December 2012

Include a dimensioned drawing. :)

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 30 December 2012

TRK wrote: Include a dimensioned drawing. :)

I will do that. If it works well . . . I'll make one for you.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 30 December 2012

I use a Lyman 310 tool to decap. They have a universal decaping die for these gizmos, that will fit most cases.

I have a cardboard box with about 2” sides I sit on my desk. The spend primers and decapped cases fall into it. I pick out the cases and drop the spend primers into the garbage when I am done. Very quick and easy with no primers on the floor.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 December 2012

Another vote for the 310 tool. Much easier than letting the little buggers accumulate on the living room floor until there are enough to use the shovel!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 31 December 2012

Along those lines I've used a Lee hand press and decapping die for armchair brass work. It catches the spent primers inside the ram, gotta empty it into a cool whip bowl about every 30 cases or so.

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 31 December 2012

Charger, check the price of scrap yellow brass and save your spent primers. will give you some cash and save the landfill. m

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 31 December 2012

O.K.. Paint is dry & I've mounted it to the press. Pretty simple. Just a piece of galvanized sheet metal (from my furnace install).

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 31 December 2012

Looks like that gizmo would restrict access from the right side of the press. That would not suit some folks. Those sharp edges look like they could bite as well.

Attached Files

Chargar wrote: Looks like that gizmo would restrict access from the right side of the press. That would not suit some folks. Those sharp edges look like they could bite as well.

Thank you for your criticism. Actually there are no sharp edges as all were deburred with emery paper. It is easily removeable by removing the knurled brass nuts. If you were familiar with the challenger press you would know that the press, as manufactured is made so that the “O” frame casting as seen from above is turned counter-clockwise. With the front portion of the “O” frame being at about the 4:00 position thus deliberately offerring easy access from the “LEFT” . . . not from the “RIGHT". Being that I am "RIGHT” handed, my "RIGHT” hand stays on the handle knob and my "LEFT” hand loads & unloads cases from the “LEFT".

I didn't make this little deflector to “SUIT” some folks. I made it for me. Just a simple little gadget made on a whim from leftover sheetmetal to help keep the floor clean. I didn't set out to build a “piano". Just thought that I would share my solution with those interested. Common sense dictates that one that uses any sort of mechanical equipment should do so with care & common sense . . . so they don't get “bitten".  If ones vision is trammeled & coordination compromised then one should show pause prior to engaging in the use of reloading equipment.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 31 December 2012

Happy New Year Pat!

Got your point, and loved the 'coordination challenged then pause before using reloading gear' comment!

What are the cylinder heads from in the back ground?

I've got the big Lee press and all the primers drop down the tube attached to it.

I also use a Lee hand press in my living room for 'arm chair' work. They're a nice little unit and are great for neck sizing and loading but it's not as easy as the full sized press. Decapping's a breeze though.

I also like the Lee Loader for upstairs in the lounge. To paraphrase Steve Jobs (commenting on the iPad's touch screen interface) 'there's an intimacy you get with using the Lee Loader that's very attractive'.

Nice to belt in a case with a mallet, belt it out, prime, load etc. I get my kids to deprime and neck size with it. they could do this when aged 4 and 6 so if any of you guys have little ones, put 'em to work! They love it too!

Declaimer: This is a private comment and in no way implicates the CBA as approving child labour... (!)

anyway, happy new year to all and may 2013 bring good health, enough money for a roof over the head and adequate reloading supplies, and range time to use them!

James

Attached Files

biddulph wrote: Happy New Year Pat!

Got your point, and loved the 'coordination challenged then pause before using reloading gear' comment!

What are the cylinder heads from in the back ground?

I've got the big Lee press and all the primers drop down the tube attached to it.

I also use a Lee hand press in my living room for 'arm chair' work. They're a nice little unit and are great for neck sizing and loading but it's not as easy as the full sized press. Decapping's a breeze though.

I also like the Lee Loader for upstairs in the lounge. To paraphrase Steve Jobs (commenting on the iPad's touch screen interface) 'there's an intimacy you get with using the Lee Loader that's very attractive'.

Nice to belt in a case with a mallet, belt it out, prime, load etc. I get my kids to deprime and neck size with it. they could do this when aged 4 and 6 so if any of you guys have little ones, put 'em to work! They love it too!

Declaimer: This is a private comment and in no way implicates the CBA as approving child labour... (!)

anyway, happy new year to all and may 2013 bring good health, enough money for a roof over the head and adequate reloading supplies, and range time to use them!

James The cylinder heads in the background are from a Triumph 650 motorcycle. Thanks for your supporting comment!!

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 01 January 2013

I am left handed so the gizmo would not suit me. Glad you are happy with your creation.

I use an RCBS A2 press and several old Pacific Cs. They can be used with either hand. I had bad luck with the one Lee press I owned so shun their presses.

I will henceforth reserve my comments about your creative tooling to myself.

I have been reloading for excess of 50 years, so I have a reasonable degree of coordination and am able to use said tools without impairment.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 01 January 2013

I think it is a matter of “use what ya got". I have a similar press that will be a gift to my great nephew.  Newly married.  I will probably try using some thin plexiglass to make his deflector.  Whatever it takes to keep the lady of the house happy.    

Left handed, right handed, when you are learning, you just learn to do it.    Duane

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 January 2013

Pigslayer ...      I didn't make this little deflector to “SUIT” some folks. I made it for me. Just a simple little gadget... .

DRIVE ON!

Simple to me means elegant. It takes observation, thought and experimentation. Often the first dozen tries don't work.

Now I've GOT to do something for my RCBS presses!

Attached Files

sparky45 posted this 01 January 2013

I use the Challenger BreechLock Press. No need to add a deflector, it works great with the spent primers collected in a plastic 2 Liter bottle. Kudo's to Pigslayer on his adapter plate. I also am Left handed and the Breechlock Press solved a problem for me.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 January 2013

TRK wrote: Pigslayer ...      I didn't make this little deflector to “SUIT” some folks. I made it for me. Just a simple little gadget... .

DRIVE ON!

Simple to me means elegant. It takes observation, thought and experimentation. Often the first dozen tries don't work.

Now I've GOT to do something for my RCBS presses!

TRK,

Sometimes the simplest things work the best even though they aren't aestheticly pleasing.  I tested my little deflector & not one primer hit the floor!

You know, perfectionism used to be a priority with me to the point of being anal about it. Then one day I found myself flat on my back, letting out a big puff of air & exclaiming, “O.K., I give up now". I used to make custom furniture & do custom millwork when living in Monterey, CA. I remember building Shaker Tall Case clocks & actually gave one away due to there being a defect that no one but I would ever know about . . . go figure! See pic. It's fun building gadgets that “just work". Thanks for your reply.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 January 2013

I like your cedar panneling too! I did a closet iwth scraps from a local saw mill that did nothing but cedar.

I'm looking into modifying my RCBS presses so the primers drop through the ram into a #10 tin can on the floor. MIGHT be able to do it.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 January 2013

TRK wrote: I like your cedar panneling too! I did a closet iwth scraps from a local saw mill that did nothing but cedar.

I'm looking into modifying my RCBS presses so the primers drop through the ram into a #10 tin can on the floor. MIGHT be able to do it.

That would br really cool. If I was only a machinist! If I only had a lathe! I'm wondering . . . would you have to fabricate a new ram? Are press rams hardened or easily machinable? Keep us posted!

Pat

Attached Files

Sonny Edmonds posted this 05 January 2013

My Herters Model 3 drops primers everywhere. And the Lee hand press does. So I don't use them for that. But the Forester has really good control and drops them in a plastic bottle. And the RCBS 4X4 has a drop tube as well, but I have a steel trash can under it. I also made my own drop tube for the shotgun press that hits the same trash can. And I've used clear plastic tubing in the past to control decapped primers.

I think you deserve a new Forster press to get around that frustration. ;) No shell holder woes, spent primer control, super easy die changes. :D (You can use the dies you already have) Yep. To every solution there is a problem! All it takes is money. .>

Oh, and they are ambidextrous. Even your left handed friends can use it.

(Don't shoot me, I'm the piano player.)

Attached Files

PETE posted this 05 January 2013

Gee! I'm sure glad I bought my Bonanza Co-Ax. Haven't dropped a primer on the floor since. :)

Pete

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 05 January 2013

Ahhhh! A new Forster press! I have checked them out. Too rich for my blood I'm afraid. I just treated myself to a new LEE turret. I'm afraid that that will have to do. LOL Pat

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 January 2013

PETE wrote: Gee! I'm sure glad I bought my Bonanza Co-Ax. Haven't dropped a primer on the floor since. :)

Pete

Pete - I can help your withdrawal by tossing a few out there. :)

Attached Files

If I had to buy a new, or even a used bonanza, these days I doubt I could afford one. But mine goes back to the days when they were brown.

But just so you guys don't feel to bad my Dillon 550 seems to throw about a 1/4 of the primers on the floor. If I didn't shoot so many handgun bullets I'd get rid of it. When you need a coupla hundred rounds it's the only way to fly.

TRK,

Thanks for the offer...... I think! :)

Pete

Attached Files

Not exactly, Pete. My RCBS Auto 4X4 can fill shot bags full in a really short time of fun with my .45 ACP rounds. And it's old nowdays. And if I choose to use it for everything, it never fails to deliver a spent primer to the trash. So there! :crapon:

(But I prefer to decap on the Forester and tumble before running mine around the progressive.) :thumbsup:

You Blue Man Groupies can be annoying. :dude: LOL!

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 05 January 2013

My Dillon 550 and my RCBS Rockchucker both put 1/3 of the primers on the floor. I have an old RCBS turret press that employs a primer catcher much like Pat's. It works well but is made very poorly by comparison.

I AM left handed and I find I can use it just fine.:D

Keep the creative ideas coming!

Jim

Attached Files

Pigslayer wrote: Ahhhh! A new Forster press! I have checked them out. Too rich for my blood I'm afraid. I just treated myself to a new LEE turret. I'm afraid that that will have to do. LOL Pat Yep, the Forester is not really economical. But after 50 years of reloading, and seeing the end of the tunnel approching, I decided that anything to replace the Herter's Model 3 had to be mighty darned good.

Incidentally, the old C-press spit the primers out at you. It needed a 55 gallon drum as a catcher. LOL!

Not have I been disappointed in the new press either. :cool:

The Model 3 has it's place on the bench as always, but it's relegated to the loathsome task of gas check punching with the Pat Green 2-step POS. It's the only thing heavy enough to take that pounding. .>

Half the fun of reloading is the tinkering. ;)

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 January 2013

did youse know that sako makes the Forester ... and the forester helps smokey put out forest(er) fires ...

i wonder if the Forster people help smokey put out Forster fires ?

i gotta quit spikin the ice tea ...

ken

Attached Files

Ken,

(Groan!) Your giving people a bad impression of us Iowegians. At least spell ice tea right. It's spelled white lightning.

Pete

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 05 January 2013

I thought that's what floors were designed for, to catch the primers? ;-)

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 06 January 2013

Clod Hopper wrote: I thought that's what floors were designed for, to catch the primers? ;-)

Carpet also works well.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 06 January 2013

Years ago, when first starting out, only press I had was an old heavy O frame C-H..primers dropped thru hollow ram..they kept getting jammed up in there & ram lube didn't help any. Bought Forster Co-Ax..much better, but by then, I didn't want any gritty primer fouling in my presses..so have been using home-made punch & die set..really not that slow.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 06 January 2013

Any body got an idea for a primer catcher for a Lyman Spartan? Had a Lyman plastic one years ago, I don't recall how long it lasted, not long enough!   

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 January 2013

Might find one on eBay. Keep a sharp eye out.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 January 2013

What's worse than primers on the floor? Try 1000 .35 cal. gas checks that I knocked off the shelf!! What a boot that was to clean up!

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 06 January 2013

Pigslayer wrote: What's worse than primers on the floor? Try 1000 .35 cal. gas checks that I knocked off the shelf!! What a boot that was to clean up!

Just like the game: 52-card pickup!

Attached Files

Sonny Edmonds posted this 06 January 2013

Pigslayer wrote: What's worse than primers on the floor? Try 1000 .35 cal. gas checks that I knocked off the shelf!! What a boot that was to clean up! That can never happen to me.... (Because I don't have a 35 caliber)  .>

I guess you don't have a copper/aluminum magnet yet. :P

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 07 January 2013

Hey Notlwonk    Here is my answer to your question. Don't misunderstand that this catches all the spent primers. It does better than the original, which caught about ninety percent. The red in the tray is a small piece of cloth to dampen the bounce effect. Lowes sells the electrical box for a couple of bucks. Adjusting the decapping die correctly, so the ram slot rises a quarter to three eights of an inch above the cast frame on completion of stroke will greatly help contain debris. This press is a 1966 vintage, purchased new as a birthday present for me. After chasing replacement trays for too many years and running a vacuum daily to pick up primers, a friend of mine made this slick catcher for me. A quarter inch aluminum rod through the primer install boss holds it in place. It has been in steady use for over ten years now.       Now on to the definitive answer for complete containment of discard primers. No,  I am not a Dillon proponent!! That point being made I will continue. The Dillon RL300 has a system that positively will catch each individual decapped primer regardless of make, application, manufacture, type or use. A small folding tray rides directly under the shell carrier specifically for capture. Upon down-stroke the small tray opens and deposits the individual directly into the easily removable aluminum catch pot. Even with the accumulation of several hundred, not one is permitted escape. I personally use this press regularly and can attest to just how well it works. It also makes a pa-tink followed by a light clink noise on every stroke of the handle which I found to be soothing. Of course the RL300 is obsolete along with this amazing system and that my friends is BULLs**t.                                                                                                                           Roy  

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 07 January 2013

Thanks gunarea, that looks like a good idea.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 07 January 2013

My frustration with both the RCBS and the Lyman is that with the groove for the REcapper also used for the spent primer - the spent primers often get inbetween the priming arm and the press. Interesting design problem.

Gunarea - that's the first NFPA approved primer catcher I've seen!

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 09 January 2013

If you prime on your press this isn't a good idea. I had a Lee turret press. I turned the ram around so the groove faced the back. I then made a tray with tall sides and a slot for the primers to feed into. It worked very well. When the tray was full I just slid it out the rear and dumped the primers. I gave the press back to the original owner when I bought my classic turret. It has a hollow ram and with the priming arm in place, I'm yet to have a primer hit the floor. It's a different story with the arm removed though.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 09 January 2013

jimkim wrote: If you prime on your press this isn't a good idea. I had a Lee turret press. I turned the ram around so the groove faced the back. I then made a tray with tall sides and a slot for the primers to feed into. It worked very well. When the tray was full I just slid it out the rear and dumped the primers. I gave the press back to the original owner when I bought my classic turret. It has a hollow ram and with the priming arm in place, I'm yet to have a primer hit the floor. It's a different story with the arm removed though.

GOOD idea!

and you can still prime on the press using the adapter gizmo (7/8-14 thread) on top.

Agree,  you can't deprime reprime on the same case in one convoluted stroke.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 January 2013

Sonny Edmonds wrote: Pigslayer wrote: What's worse than primers on the floor? Try 1000 .35 cal. gas checks that I knocked off the shelf!! What a boot that was to clean up! That can never happen to me.... (Because I don't have a 35 caliber)  .>

I guess you don't have a copper/aluminum magnet yet. :P Was hoping to order one from you..>

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 10 January 2013

Pigslayer wrote: What's worse than primers on the floor? ...  

Finding (or NOT finding) a LIVE primer that bounced around and got loaded into a case WITH the powder.

How do I know?

Attached Files

Close