Political and religious topics are off limits on CBA forum

• 16K Views
  • Last Post 27 March 2016
John Alexander posted this 13 January 2013

On November I reported that the CBA Board of Directors had voted to keep political and religious discussions off the CBA forum. I have copied that announcement below as a reminder.

November 30 post: “The Cast Bullet Association's Board of Directors has voted to discontinue hosting religious and political discussions on the CBA Forum.

I proposed this motion after years of the moderators' best efforts had been unsuccessfully in keeping discussions on these topics from degenerating into heated and ugly arguments and denouncing of posters of differing opinions. This was causing hard feelings between members, changed no minds, and produced no value to the CBA and our efforts to support and encourage cast bullet shooting.

There are hundreds of discussion groups on the Internet where political opinions can be expressed and it is fairly easy for individuals to start and manage one themselves if additional opportunity is wanted.

A strong majority of the Board agreed that these heated exchanges were casting the CBA in a bad light with potential members and should be discontinued.

Because of the importance of the Second Amendment, an exception will be made for notices strictly to alert the membership about specific proposed regulations or laws that might restrict the ownership or use of guns.”

Members posting responses to this original announcement agreed that it was a good move (see the original thread below.)

Since the notice we have had generally good cooperation by members and most posts on the subject have been limited to alerting members about specific proposed regulations or laws.

However, feelings are of course running high since Sandy Hook, new restrictions on gun owners have been proposed, and a few posts on our forum have been political statements. Some have involved statements that could be interrupted as implied approval of armed insurrection or assassination.

Not only do these posts break the forum rules but they also harm our cause. Implied threats will reinforce the opinion of some that we are a radical and perhaps dangerous element that should be regulated.

It is in the best interests of the CBA and all gun owners to discourage this type of statement.

I again ask your cooperation in respecting the vote of the CBA Board on this issue.

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
grouch posted this 13 January 2013

Very good point,John. No arguement here, BUT I thought cast bullet shooting WAS religion. Grouch

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 January 2013

John does make a valid point in that political & religous posts seemingly go nowhere except for arguement. I, recently made a rather provocative post concerning political issues. I knew that it was provocative & maybe a bit presumptuous when I made it. But, it really wasn't necessary and I have since apologized to John for it. I think that when angered I can be outspoken but at these times it would be better to bounce things off a friend in a PM. I need to practice what I preach and show pause & restraint during turbulent times. Pat Reynolds

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 January 2013

Guns are now a political topic, according to the politicians, including the President. Where do we go from here?

I'm not trying to start anything, I just fail to understand the rhetoric.

I suspect I'll be banned for asking.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 13 January 2013

I think the intent of this ruling is to not have the flare ups we've had in the past when political issues came up and no one will be banned for making a statement or asking a question. Personally I think this whole thing could have been avoided if the measure that was eventually taken was taken a whole lot sooner but that's water under the bridge.

I do agree wholeheartedly that anything that could be construed as a threat not be posted on this forum. Some of the stuff I've seen written on other forums could not only be construed as a threat but make all gun owners look like a bunch of crazed anarchists. I don't think the people writing that crap realize that this is just what the anti gun crowd wants the non gun owning but not anti 2nd Ammendment to see us as and it ain't helping the cause one bit.

Keep it peaceful and keep it RKBA related and I don't see an issue with posting it. Could be wrong though because that's just me.

Attached Files

swifty posted this 13 January 2013

Good-Muddy

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 January 2013

Pat is right about the anti-gun crowd wanting to paint us as a bunch of crazed anarchists.

Often shooters have provided the paint and brushes right here on this forum and are still doing it on others. We are sometimes our own worst enemy.

I tried to work with Jeff for five years to keep us looking civilized without much luck. The board finally concluded that we should declare the subject off limits since we were only ranting to the choir anyway.

John

Attached Files

muley posted this 31 January 2013

John, by not voicing our thoughts on the second amendment, are we giving up our rights to the First amendment??  Jim

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 January 2013

Jim,

I don't believe we are giving up any first amendment rights by being asked not to discuss politics and religion on this forum.

We can voice our defense of the second amendment in any place that it matters. Specifically in letters, emails, phone calls, and visits to our elected representatives.

We can also defend the second amendment in an unlimited number of places on and off the Internet. However, it is pretty clear that most of these “discussions,” (whether preaching to the choir on gun related forums or in arguments with anti-gunners in other places) changes no ones mind.

I personally think that this type of “speech” is almost entirely a waste of time and energy that could be better spent in calm and reasonable discussions with legislators and neighbors, writing carefully reasoned letters to the local paper, and urging other gun owners to do the same.

Worse yet, some of this preaching to the choir and ranting at anti-gunners gets out of control and makes us look like dangerous fanatics who maybe shouldn't be trusted with a gun.

We can also protect second amendment rights by showing the public by individual and collective action that we are responsible citizens. This is the fourth and perhaps most important objective of the CBA and is printed on the back of every issue of the Fouling Shot. We were not meeting that objective with some of the political posts that appeared on our forum before the Board changed the policy.

You can be sure that every member of the CBA's board is a strong supporter of the second amendment and they voted three to one for this policy. I believe the policy supports our fourth objective and will help protect second amendment rights.

John

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 01 February 2013

Thanks John, That was very clear and makes good sense, to me at least.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 01 February 2013

delmarskid1 wrote:

Thanks John, That was very clear and makes good sense, to me at least.

Times two here. Jim

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 21 June 2013

This is just a reminder that rants on religion and politics are off limits on the CBA Forum.

I recently removed a topic that started with a link to an rant against the religion of islam.

Please read my January 13 post that initiated this thread and explains CBA policy on this issue.

Thank you for your cooperation.

John

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 22 June 2013

Politically correct like the rest of the country!

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 22 June 2013

I seriously doubt that the people who populate this forum are politically correct but this thing is about shooting cast bullets. There's plenty of places on the web that cater to religious and political discussion and for the most part they don't paint a pretty picture. Past experience has proven that keeping discussions of that kind off the forum makes for a healthy and happy home.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 22 June 2013

I have to agree. In that I do have my political & religious prejudices I find to debate those topics, especially here would be a never ending & fruitless venture . . . Soap opera style. Let's all go melt some lead! Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 22 June 2013

Religion is a wonderfull thing PROVIDED YOU (in the fugurative sense) do not INFLICT your beliefs on others !

Politics have never been a wonderfull thing and SHOULD NOT BE INFLICTED ON OTHERS !

My thoughts on both !

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 23 June 2013

For whatever it is worth, I am in total agreement with the policy.

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 23 June 2013

Hey

I agree!

There three things men should never discuss: Politics, Religion, and Women. Since its the three we really understand the least about.

Duane

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 23 June 2013

John Alexander wrote: This is just a reminder that rants on religion and politics are off limits on the CBA Forum.

I recently removed a topic that started with a link to an rant against the religion of islam.

Please read my January 13 post that initiated this thread and explains CBA policy on this issue.

Thank you for your cooperation.

John

AMEN !

I'll VOTE for that!

:)

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 25 June 2013

4570sharps,

I am probably the most politically incorrect person in existance and I have to agree with the board. At this time in our lives as gun owners we do not need for some gun grabber to copy a bunch of rants on this site and spread them about the web. If we get what we feel as a good thread going about this or that political subject and it gets out of control we feed the fears of the ones who want to destroy the 2nd ammendment. If I have some venting to do I do it on my facebook page among my 'friends' or on a politically oriented forum . They are a little more forgiving than some other people. As for religion, that is a slippery slope. All a religious thread seems to do is generate into a name calling rant and makes all involved look like a bunch of ignorant fools. I have observed this on the comments areas of many “news” articles.

Not a sermon just a thought.

Mike McLaughlin CBA Webmaster

Attached Files

LBD posted this 27 June 2013

John Alexander wrote: On November I reported that the CBA Board of Directors had voted to keep political and religious discussions off the CBA forum. I have copied that announcement below as a reminder. Personally, I support that decision.

If you want to mix bad attitudes and cast bullets there's another forum that shall remain nameless that'll accommodate you.  You might get slapped by one or more of the scores of moderators over there but they can be bought off with some boolit lube. .>

I'm sorry, I hope my sarcasm hasn't offended anyone.

LBD

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 28 June 2013

Truth is rarely offensive unless a fellow doesn't want to be bothered by it.

Political rhetoric along with religious comments are often the beginning of strife that I am sure most of us would rather avoid. I am very happy to see that the CBA Forum has no such postings.

Edd

Attached Files

NYBushBro posted this 04 July 2013

I agree... and DON'T post controversial opinions on the internet. According to a recent person in the news (somewhere in the world)... people are listening.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 23 May 2015

Occasionally we need to remind people that political and religious discussions are off limits on the CBA Forum.  The reasons for the Board of Director's decision and the lone exception are included in an earlier post which I have posted below for your information.

We have received good cooperation for the last couple of years and I ask your continuing cooperation.

John

==========

On November I reported that the CBA Board of Directors had voted to keep political and religious discussions off the CBA forum. I have copied that announcement below as a reminder.

November 30, 2012 post:“The Cast Bullet Association's Board of Directors has voted to discontinue hosting religious and political discussions on the CBA Forum.

I proposed this motion after years of the moderators' best efforts had been unsuccessfully in keeping discussions on these topics from degenerating into heated and ugly arguments and denouncing of posters of differing opinions. This was causing hard feelings between members, changed no minds, and produced no value to the CBA and our efforts to support and encourage cast bullet shooting.

There are hundreds of discussion groups on the Internet where political opinions can be expressed and it is fairly easy for individuals to start and manage one themselves if additional opportunity is wanted.

A strong majority of the Board agreed that these heated exchanges were casting the CBA in a bad light with potential members and should be discontinued.

Because of the importance of the Second Amendment, an exception will be made for notices strictly to alert the membership about specific proposed regulations or laws that might restrict the ownership or use of guns.”

Members posting responses to this original announcement agreed that it was a good move (see the original thread below.)

Since the notice we have had generally good cooperation by members and most posts on the subject have been limited to alerting members about specific proposed regulations or laws.

However, feelings are of course running high since Sandy Hook, new restrictions on gun owners have been proposed, and a few posts on our forum have been political statements. Some have involved statements that could be interrupted as implied approval of armed insurrection or assassination.  

Not only do these posts break the forum rules but they also harm our cause. Implied threats will reinforce the opinion of some that we are a radical and perhaps dangerous element that should be regulated.

It is in the best interests of the CBA and all gun owners to discourage this type of statement.

I again ask your cooperation in respecting the vote of the CBA Board on this issue.

John

Attached Files

minkza posted this 05 August 2015

:dude::dude: Very interesting thanks for sharing.  ร่วมเล่นสนุกๆไปกับพวกเรา ได้ที่นี่ https://www.royal-1688.net>คาสิโนออนไลน์

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 05 August 2015

John, I respect and agree with the Board's decision. I well remember when my Dad, a Ham radio operator, told me when I got my first license, that the “taboo subjects on Amateur Radio were: politics, sex, and religion.” Well chosen. In fact, I quit another forum because of acrimonius wrangling, that contributed nothing to the sport, (except a large amount of ill feelings) and, also, their insistence on some childish spelling. Neither of these were sufficient to hold my interest in that forum, and certainly wasn't parallel to my needs.
Thanks to you and the Board for “drawing the line." Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 24 October 2015

Bill,  Thanks for you support. John

Attached Files

caso posted this 03 December 2015

Silver bullets to destroy the evil power http://www.gclubth.com/>gclub http://www.sbobet-sps.com/>sbobet

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 27 March 2016

From time to time it is probably a good idea to repost our guidelines about political and religious discussions on the CBA forum. I have pasted the background and policy below. Thanks for your continuing support of this Board of Director's policy.

November 30, 2012 post:“The Cast Bullet Association's Board of Directors has voted to discontinue hosting religious and political discussions on the CBA Forum.I proposed this motion after years of the moderators' best efforts had been unsuccessfully in keeping discussions on these topics from degenerating into heated and ugly arguments and denouncing of posters of differing opinions. This was causing hard feelings between members, changed no minds, and produced no value to the CBA and our efforts to support and encourage cast bullet shooting.

There are hundreds of discussion groups on the Internet where political opinions can be expressed and it is fairly easy for individuals to start and manage one themselves if additional opportunity is wanted.A strong majority of the Board agreed that these heated exchanges were casting the CBA in a bad light with potential members and should be discontinued.Because of the importance of the Second Amendment, an exception will be made for notices strictly to alert the membership about specific proposed regulations or laws that might restrict the ownership or use of guns.”

Members posting responses to this original announcement agreed that it was a good move (see the original thread below.)Since the notice we have had generally good cooperation by members and most posts on the subject have been limited to alerting members about specific proposed regulations or laws.However, feelings are of course running high since Sandy Hook, new restrictions on gun owners have been proposed, and a few posts on our forum have been political statements. Some have involved statements that could be interrupted as implied approval of armed insurrection or assassination.  Not only do these posts break the forum rules but they also harm our cause. Implied threats will reinforce the opinion of some that we are a radical and perhaps dangerous element that should be regulated.It is in the best interests of the CBA and all gun owners to discourage this type of statement.I again ask your cooperation in respecting the vote of the CBA Board on this issue.J  ohn

Attached Files

Close