Electronic powder scales and powder dispenser PROBLEM

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 13 February 2013
Bob 11B50 posted this 21 January 2013

About 10 years ago I purchased an electronic powder scale and dispenser. I have used this pair for several years with no problems. Several weeks ago I moved these items to my detached garage.

Our weather has turned quite chilly. I didn't think that the coolness would affect the scale and dispenser much. Today I was watching my son load some 30-30 Win. and he was using the electronic scale and dispenser. The son was using a load of 26.5 gr AA2015. On the low end of suggested loads.

The dispenser was set up correctly and operated properly. The dispenser dropped a case full of powder. That didn't seem right to me so we checked the amount the dispenser was dropping against an old Redding scale. The amount the electronic scale was dispensing was 15.7 grains heavier than the maximum listed load.

All loads are being pulled and re cycled. I will not trust the electronic scale without checking it against a trusted mechanical scale again, ever.

BE LEARY ABOUT THESE ELECTRONIC GADGETS!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bob 11B50 posted this 21 January 2013

I was so rattled by this experience that I forgot to sign the message when I sent it last night. This was an enlightening experience, indeed.

Bob 11B50

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 21 January 2013

My electronic scale acts strange when I take it out of my cold basement into the office.

Gives different readings for the same bullet until it comes up to room temp.  Part of the digital readout also goes away until it is warm.  Once it is warmed up it works very well.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 21 January 2013

Check also variation of weights with variation of HUMIDITY. Low humidity is more conducive to more static electricity.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 January 2013

Try plugging it in for a half hour or better before using it. Also, fluorescent lights can wreak havoc on digital scales. The ones in my garage drive my RCBS scale nuts!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 January 2013

in our production shop, we occasionally made little bitty things, and so used a electronic scale to count them ...saved hours etc.

many problems were averted :: 1)  leave the line voltage scales   on  *   all the time. 2)  the battery powered ones.. turn on hours...  before using. 3)  use check weights early and often ...especially at the end of a counting session.  i liked to use a jacketed bulet ....  and pick a check weight close to the desired per-charge weight.

ken 

Attached Files

Muskrat Mike posted this 22 January 2013

Bob 11B50 wrote: About 10 years ago I purchased an electronic powder scale and dispenser. I have used this pair for several years with no problems. Several weeks ago I moved these items to my detached garage.

Our weather has turned quite chilly. I didn't think that the coolness would affect the scale and dispenser much. Today I was watching my son load some 30-30 Win. and he was using the electronic scale and dispenser. The son was using a load of 26.5 gr AA2015. On the low end of suggested loads.

The dispenser was set up correctly and operated properly. The dispenser dropped a case full of powder. That didn't seem right to me so we checked the amount the dispenser was dropping against an old Redding scale. The amount the electronic scale was dispensing was 15.7 grains heavier than the maximum listed load.

All loads are being pulled and re cycled. I will not trust the electronic scale without checking it against a trusted mechanical scale again, ever.

BE LEARY ABOUT THESE ELECTRONIC GADGETS!I don't have the electronic scale/dispenser but I have two RCBS electronic scales.  One is in my basement reloading room where it's a consistent 65-70 degrees and it's very accurate and consistent.  The other is in my old business's air conditioned and heated garage which I turned into my new toy box and casting and reloading shop.  The heat is on a programmable stat and I only maintain 50 degrees in the winter when I'm not there.,  I turn up the heat when I get there and I turn on the scale right away because the heat has to get up and the power has to be on for at least an hour or the scale is erratic.  I have the old mechanical scales handy and check them frequently too. Mike

Muskrat Mike

Attached Files

PETE posted this 22 January 2013

Anachronism,

Appreciate the tip on fluorescent lites. Never thought of the lite over my bench was the cause of a problem.

Tried the idea out this afternoon. Worked like a charm with my Lyman Electronic scale. Loaded 100 rds. weighing every 5th round on a mechanical scale and no charge weighed more than half a tenth off with most right on the money. Had one charge the scale said was 1/10 gr. high and it was.

Pete

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 23 January 2013

PETE wrote: Anachronism,

Appreciate the tip on fluorescent lites. Never thought of the lite over my bench was the cause of a problem.

Tried the idea out this afternoon. Worked like a charm with my Lyman Electronic scale. Loaded 100 rds. weighing every 5th round on a mechanical scale and no charge weighed more than half a tenth off with most right on the money. Had one charge the scale said was 1/10 gr. high and it was.

Pete

I don't own an electrnic powder scale/measure setup . But I have used a friends RCBS scale/measure and found it to be rather slow .

Is your Lyman one of the deals thats hooked up with the measure and if so how long does it take per measure ?

I think my friends RCBS took about a minute or so per load .

Attached Files

Ervin posted this 23 January 2013

One thing most (me) fail to notice are overhead ceiling fans or any other fan, including ac-vents. With e-scales air movement is a no-no. Ervin

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 23 January 2013

I have been reloading for many years (MANY years) and like most, I started with a mechanical scale (balance). I have had a problem or two with a mechanical scale, also.

It pays to “pay attention” regardless of whether you are using a digital scale OR a mechanical scale. I am very happy with my digital scales but I leave them on all the time and they are used in a climate controlled environment.

On the other hand, I always appreciate a “heads up” when a problem rears it's ugly head. None of us can be “too careful"...

Dale53

Attached Files

mklien posted this 13 February 2013

I found that switching the power supply helped my Lyman 1500 electronic scale. The adapter was a 9v 300ma and i went to Radio Shack and got an 800ma and my problems were gone. My scale used to drift when empty. The zero would float up to four tenths when the scale sat idle and now its stable with two 4' fluorescent bulbs overhead

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 13 February 2013

Found this an interesting read http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/04/04/ammunitiondigitalscalesexposed040411/

Attached Files

Close