Rem 721 an orphan?

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 19 October 2013
tturner53 posted this 29 January 2013

I've noticed you don't see many Remington 721s or 722s in the postal matches. Lots of 788s and 700s.  I've borrowed one from a friend to try some cb loads in it, maybe a “Hunter” class rifle candidate for a few postal matches. I've shot it with factory ammo and it shoots fine but the stock slugs you good in the face and it has a steel buttplate. Both should be a non-issue with reduced cb loads. It's a 30-06 so I have a lot of cast bullet ammo leftovers to mess with in it. It's going to the range today for a shakedown run.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R Dupraz posted this 29 January 2013

There will be least one 722 .257R this summer if things keep going like they have been.

Ran across another this weekend, only this one is unfired in the box. Now haggleing begins.

RD

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 30 January 2013

Tim,

I always found the 721 shot better than the fancy 700's FWIW. Triggers were adjustable down to “too light” and they were not free floated.

Ric

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 30 January 2013

I think a 721 Hunter class rifle will be a real good choice. I have always liked that model and the 3006 needs no justification.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 30 January 2013

Thanks for the input guys. I've always had a lot of faith in Remington's barrels and the stiff action and fast lock time can't hurt. This one has a 24” barrel, real iron sights, similar to a Winchester 94 type sights, and is light. It's even drilled and tapped at the factory for a receiver sight. I'll be researching the trigger. Lot of horror stories suggesting bubba taking the triggers down too far. I didn't make it to the range yesterday but am going now.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 January 2013

RicinYakima wrote:  Triggers were adjustable down to “too light” and they were not free floated.  

Yep I have the trigger on my grandfathers old 722 down to 10 or 11 ounces . I've got it shimmed up as well so the barrel on mine is floated now .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 January 2013

i got a 721 in 30-06 ...compared to a winchester ranger in same caliber ...i prefer the remmy...the trigger tips the scales ....oh, i got a 722 in 300 savage.. with an extra barrel, in case i shoot the first one out with cast bullets  (  g ) .

reminds me ...i need 30-06 brass ... wanna trade ...   4? 

ken 6413401777 [email protected]

come to think ...any body wanna trade my 722/300 sav. for your 722 in 222 .... i got a neat 222 barrel but no rem 700 222 bolt or action ... sigh ..

Attached Files

Bob S posted this 10 October 2013

I found a .30 cal 721 on GB for a very reasonable price that I could not resist. It will be another of my “sporter XC” rifles. When you shim the action, the magazine will hold five rounds; the loading notch is too narrow for a clip seat with reguler US charger clips, but '98 Mauser clips fit perfectly. Lyman 48 on the back, I may leave the bead front sight on it, I'm growing accustomed to it.

I bought a spare barrel before I got the rifle, just as a hedge. A lot of the .30's got shot with the nickel-a-round corrosive surplus that was around in the '50's for “practice", and then not promptly or correctly cleaned, leaving a pitted barrel. I need not have worried; the barrel is pristine, and the throat looks like it has not been fired much at all. The “spare” barrel looks just as nice, so now just like the M70NM, I have enough barrel life to last my lifetime.

Looking forward to strapping in and shooting a score with CB's. Pix soon, stay tuned ......

Resp'y, Bob S.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 10 October 2013

Among my circle of mentors in the late 50's, the Remington 721 and 722s were frowned upon and considered inferior in all respects to the Winchester 70. All kinds of reasons were advanced for their lacking.

In 61 I bought a 722 in 222 Remington and it shot like a house-a-fire. I then began to take another look at the rifles. I decided my mentors didn't like them because they were not Winchesters and lacked the cache of the name.

They sold for less than Winchesters but shot just as well. They did and do look a little cheap though.

I need to get me a 721 also to atone for my decades of snobbishness.

Attached Files

Bob S posted this 11 October 2013

The promised pix:

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 11 October 2013

Nothing wrong with that rifle.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 11 October 2013

Sweet!

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 11 October 2013

Don't have a complete rifle but do have a trued up 722 action waiting for a barrel.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 October 2013

pat-i how about a blind date for your 722 ... i know a 300 savage take-off that would like to meet her ... i got it for an extra, but i will never need it ... it looks unfired, but the outside bluing is about a 6.5 .... would trade for a 225 mold, preferably a 462 or 450 or rcbs 5x gr.

this would make your remmy whole again !

ken

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 12 October 2013

Not to highjack this thread but Ken it's a small bolt face. I have a 14 twist Krieger LV .22 barrel that just needs to be fit once I get off my duff and get my lathe put back together. Going to chamber it in .223 and put it in a purple McMillan hunter class stock with a Burris 12x scope on top and call it my varmint rifle. I trued up the action and bought the barrel and stock years ago and it's been sitting ever since. 

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 19 October 2013

Nice stuff. Thanks to all for sharing the pictures. I've researched the Remington rifle triggers attempting to identify what trigger I had on my new to me 700 SPS .223 Varmint. It was sold as used even though it appeared unfired. Turns out there's at least 3 factory triggers out there. The old original version with 3 adjustment screws, a new 'X-Mark' that looks a lot like the old one, and a new 'X-Mark' that has an externally adjustable trigger. No need to remove from stock. I have the first version of the 'X-Mark' and I like it just fine. It is possible to adjust it down to very light without messing with the sear engagement. That's adjustable too but I'm not going there. Over travel is adjustable too, but mine is clean and crisp enough for me as-is. It breaks at a consistent 2 3/4 .lb or so. I will shoot this gun in CBA postal matches and so do not want an after market trigger. On the side, I read some thing interesting about Timney Triggers. Supposedly they are high quality knock-offs of the original Remington trigger.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 October 2013

TT: re remmy triggers.

IMHO i have adjusted several old style rem. triggers; on varmint rifles for smart owners i set them to about 1.5 lbs. at this light weight they * might * fire if you pound the buttplate lightly on the ground. so the procedure is to only chamber a round just before a shot is taken. at 2.5 or 3 lbs they seem stable enough.

for stupid shooters i refuse to work on guns at all.

i just sold a really nice 721/06 with a trick stock and a timney trigger ...nice trigger but not sure it was any better than my 721/722/700 with a trigger shoe. oh, at one time rem. was sabotaging their triggers so it was tricky to get them under 3 lbs.

i got one 721/06 left ... wanna resurrect that 721/722 postal ? i bot my 722/222 for $83 back in 1955, and the K10 for $60 .... sigh.

ken

Attached Files

Close