Anybody besides Rotometals?

• 6.2K Views
  • Last Post 18 November 2013
Bisley posted this 14 February 2013

I know Rotometals in Kalifornia sells bulletmetals tailored to the handloader, but does anyone else sell similar materials in quantities of less than half a ton? This country mines lead in Pennsylvania and Missouri I don't mind buying recycled scrap (One does not need virgin alloy for bullet casting) but it can't all be going to China...

Anyone else in this business?

Bisley

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 14 February 2013

RotoMetals sells alloys with certified contents, If you don't need that and mix your own alloys or can use something like scrap plus tin or Linotype and have a hardness tester, there is a myriad of suppliers  CBA full members here get a significant discount from AntimonyMan, a member/supplier.

I get loose Linotype scrap for$1.47/lb and mix with my local club range soft scrap.  Range scrap: Lino    at 8:2 to make a #2 alloy clone with BHN14.5-15.5

COWW : Lino  at 13:3 gets me the same BHN.

My local supplier takes phone orders and ships minimum 10 lb orders in inexpensive priority boxes. he has a wide variety of lead scrap,  loose and sheet and ingots.  PM me if you want contact info.

It is best to select your alloys around the load pressures you plan to shoot cast bullets. List what you want to shoot and pressure level in psi and it is easy to select an alloy.

Gary

Attached Files

shovel80 posted this 14 February 2013

Not sure where you came up with Roto Metals and half a ton.........but, they do sell much less sizes and freight free after 99.00 dollars I believe..

but, I buy my lead from John Walters in Moore, Ok 405-799-0376 but, Only 20-1 and 30-1 I believe! Even though I live in CA.

Terry...

Attached Files

Brownie Nash posted this 14 February 2013

I would give a + 1 for John Walters. Nice guy to deal with. He also has tin, he sells fiber wads for rifles. At times he has 16-1.

Regards

Brownie

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 14 February 2013

You can check here. http://castboolits.gunloads.comdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin&s=&daysprune=2

mrbill2

Attached Files

Bisley posted this 14 February 2013

mrbil2, shove180; I was referring to the quantity discounts and exaggerating a bit. I have dealt with the Captain on the castboolits.com forum and she's great to work with, but I was wondering if anyone else was out there as the castboolits vendors don't always have stock. I keep hearing tire shops are required to sell to scrap dealers who are contracted to sell to China, etc., etc. Sounds to me like they just don't want to sell to the general public; I am getting tired of the hassle. Maybe Onondaga's scrap dealer could open a branch office here in Porter County...

None of the ranges here in NW Indiana will allow berm mining privileges, even to members. A friend allows me to shoot on his property but since he spent the money and built the berm it wouldn't be right to mine it. Also, you have the Chicagoans buying up semirural real estate among the farms and it won't be long before they start whining to the police about gunshots, but this stands far afield in reference to casting metals.

Does John Moore have email or a website? If not I'll call.

Bisley

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 February 2013

Bill Ferguson is still around, the last I knew:

http://www.theantimonyman.com/

Great guy to deal with.

Attached Files

shovel80 posted this 15 February 2013

John Walters has No Website I'm aware of....don't know about e-mail....

Just give him a call..He told me Anytime!...He'll call you back if he does'nt Answer..

Great Guy to deal with!

Terry

Attached Files

Bisley posted this 15 February 2013

Thanks for the information on Ferguson and John Walters. That's what I want to know.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 15 February 2013

There's also Missouri Bullet Co.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=12

Attached Files

preachinpilot posted this 22 May 2013

call seafab metal in casa grande az. 92-6-2 for 1.98/lb in 63 pound pigs. that is where i get mine. they can ccast into 5lb blocks but the price goes to 2.40 i think nice folks. they also send in usps i believe.

Attached Files

bill_clancy posted this 15 October 2013

I get Linotype and WW ingots on ebay...sometimes with free shipping

Attached Files

dan l posted this 14 November 2013

Bill is ill and no family members want anything to do with biz

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 14 November 2013

Very sorry to here that, he was very helpful to me when I got interested in match shooting with cast bullets. I hope all turns out well for him. Ric

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 November 2013

RicinYakima wrote: Very sorry to here that, he was very helpful to me when I got interested in match shooting with cast bullets. I hope all turns out well for him. Ric The word I got was that it's alzheimers. I certainly hope that's not true, but it came from someone claiming firsthand knowledge.

Attached Files

Goatwhiskers posted this 18 November 2013

Bill, linotype is one thing. I would be very careful about buying WW ingots from fleabay. I have read several reports indicating that some people have bought contaminated alloy. To some marketers on e-bay a WW is a WW is a WW, they just melt everything down together never checking for zinc. Good luck! GW

Attached Files

Close