Lyman/Ideal 308-329 bullet mould

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 06 October 2013
[email protected] posted this 18 February 2013

I Bought this bullet mold in single cavity and have made a few dozen rounds. I have the Sierra I6 ballistic program and I would like to compare it to my Lyman 314-299 one that i have been using in my matches. Bullet Specs are:

Diameter as cast: .3105'' (on driving bands) Weight: 190 grs Overall length: 1.209'' Nose diameter: .300''

It seems to have a really long ogive for a bullet with only 2 lube grooves and it is a gas check style not plain base. I looked though all my books and cant find any data on this bullet.:D

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 19 February 2013

None of my Lyman books that list BC, starting in 1980, list that bullet. The closest I can find is 311334, 187 grains, list at .340. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

[email protected] posted this 19 February 2013

Ok thanks for looking cause all my books go back to 1990's or so...still nothing on this bullet :dude:

Attached Files

Ideal 308329 was never a popular bullet because it is hard to make shoot well. So guys can make that style do well up to about 1250 f/s, but I never could. Ric

Attached Files

Oh ok did anyone try around 1600-1700 ft/sec? Thats where i find it to be sweet..for my 314-299 mould

Attached Files

Unknown if anyone has worked with it since chrongraphs became available. That mould was designed about 1907-1909, in Barlow's second batch of gas-checked bullets. Ric

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 19 February 2013

I have a SC (308329) that I took the GC off of and a DC (311329) that still has the GC's on both cavity's.

I ran the PB version on my cast bullet design program and this is what it estimates the BC. It's pretty accurate, I've run it against other know Lyman BC's as well as a Lilja bullet design program.

Frank

Attached Files

Frank, Thank you for the picture it is really useful and my measurements are dead on to the ones you have in the pic.

What program do you have?

Travis

Attached Files

Rick, Where have you been finding all this info? I cannot seem to find the data that you are finding.

Travis

Attached Files

Ric's info is correct. You'll find it in different lyman and Ideal manauls as well as different publications that deal with cast bullets.

This bullet can be made to shoot very well and I will be using it this year. There are at least two companion bullets. The 287377 and 320/323366. I've shoot the 320366PB breech seated in my 15 twist, 32/40. I won the 200 yard 5 shot group match with it last Oct. in the last shoot of the year with a 1.961 group. In practice, I shot a .520 group at 100 yards.

The name of the company that I purchased it from is at the bottom of the drawing.   Frank

Attached Files

Well this is very nice of you guys to be sharing all this info with me. It is very much appreciated Have you ever run the program on the Lyman 314299?

Travis

Attached Files

The 311/314299 is well documented by Lyman at .377 BC for the curent design. Over the years, there have been a few minor nose changes that will effect the BC

Frank

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 19 February 2013

The online software I use says BC ~ .461 : http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html>http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html for a .3105” 190 gr. spire.

That is a wonderful drop size and the same size I have honed my bullet size/check die for 30-06 from a 1903A3, my Sako Sporter in .308 WIn, and my grandson's Savage 11/111 in .308 Win. All great shooters.

Consider Lee Collet Neck Sizing with the die back jacked a little for the oversize bullet. If it will chamber for you at .3105", it should be a superb shooter. We tumble lube 45:45:10.

Also,  Aluminum gas checks from sagesoutdoors.com are longer than copper checks and I believe they lower BC because of the difference in check length increasing the bullet skin. Try this if you are trying to max out BC. I use his 30 cal or his 31 cal checks and actually prefer the 31s for 30 cal. they go on so tight with the Lee push through at .3105” they are superb. I TL once before size/check then twice after, all lightly with warmed bullets and warmed lube.

Gary

Attached Files

Ok thanks for the help and the info on aluminum gas checks :)

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 19 February 2013

I've wondered what was the point of pointy high BC bullets when they all seem to fail at modest velocities supposedly due to the unsupported nose section when pushed.  What was the thinking? A marketing thing?

Attached Files

I'm here to tell and show you that they can shoot. There problem is getting from the case into the rifling straight. Breach seating cures that but, a throat designed for the bullet with a freebore that fits nearly the whole length of the first band (at a size for size fit) and a 3/4 to one deg leade (per side) should get them going from a well prepared case.

Throating and .001 neck to chamber fit is what cast bullets have to have to shoot accurately.

Factory and military chambers and throats were made for trouble free feeding of jacketed bullets not accuracy.

Frank

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 19 February 2013

But how fast are you shooting it?

I've checked the BC on a couple of different cast bullets using two chronographs and a program and for the most part find estimated BCs extremely optimistic.

Attached Files

My groups shot with the 320366 were shot with 16.5 gr 4227 in a 32/40. I didn't chronograph that load but, 17.0 gr averages 1680 fps. I'm going to try to get it up to 1800 fps with a slower power such as RL7/AA2015 burning rates. I went up to 18.5 gr 4227, that recorded 1835 fps with 27 fps ES but the accuracy went off. I'll try that one again with P-check wads, it has very good nunbers.

Something to remember about unstabile bullets is that the BC will not hold up if they are wobbling.

Frank

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 06 October 2013

If lack of support for the nose is the problem, something like the .294 bore diameter of some SIG made K31s ought to tame it. In order to get the ogive out into the rifling I have to bump the front band down to .306 though. Smoke em Joe made me a bump die when he was with us, I'll have to get around to trying some of the bullets. A good sptizer option for US 30 caliber barrels is NOE's 311365. It's nose is .305 and it really shoots good out of my Krag rifles at around 2000fps.

Attached Files

Close