Mould for a 6.5x55 Swede model 38

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 01 April 2013
fa38 posted this 19 February 2013

Just purchased 6.5x55 Swede model 38 and need a mould for it.  Any comments for or against the following three.

Lyman 266469 140 gr Lyman 266673 150 gr RCBS 6.5-140 Sil.

The rifle looks like new with matching numbers.  The disk is marked with a triangular mark over the 1 in the 1,2,3 section and with a similar mark over the 6,51.  So I assume it is an arsenal rework with a new barrel.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 20 February 2013

I have not used any of those molds. I borrowed a friends Saeco 140g mold and it shot well when I kept the velocities under 1600 fps. The twist on those things is so fast that they seemed to jump over the rifling when I went to my faster loads. Sweet rifles to shoot. I often wonder why they don't show up in military matches more often.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 February 2013

not directly to your question ... but i have had three of the 38's. with my little hawkeye borescope i found all three :::

had very very nice barrel interiors once you get past the throat area.... that area was poorly done ... i always thought attention to that area would pay big dividends.... such as handlapping the throat ....and no doubt Gary's polishing method

at the time i wuz wasting my youth working, and traded all three off before i did a throat job ... i did use the 266469 castedaded bullets, but just plinking, never tried for better accuracy, so no opinion there ...

also, i loved the little 38's ...

ken

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 20 February 2013

I have not had a Swedish Mauser in quite a while, but worked with two of them (made in the early 1940s) about twenty years ago. At the time, most available moulds cast undersize bullets. I ordered an NEI mould (very long roundnose, app. 160 grains) that cast lino at .268". It shot very well in one of my rifles. I suspect bore sizes on these rifles varied. A friend purchased the same mould with the same dimensions; never would shoot well in his rifle. With all the custom mould makers today, you should be able to get a perfect fit once you determine your bore size. You might get lucky and find a standard mould that works.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 20 February 2013

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that my Swede is a 96. there may be a difference.

Attached Files

curator posted this 01 March 2013

None of these moulds will cast a bullet of the correct size for a Swede Mauser. All of them will drop bullets at .264 or at most .265. A Swedish Mauser will usually have a chamber throat of .267+ and a bore size of at least .266. Instead of buying moulds that don't throw bullets that shoot accurately, contact Veral Smith of LBT with a throat slug and have him cut a mould that is made to fit your rifles' throat and the cartridge you are loading. Afterwards, you will wonder why everyone doesn't have the same success that you do using cast bullets.  “Silly kids, cast is for serious shooters!"

Attached Files

[email protected] posted this 02 March 2013

I have had good luck with the Lyman 266469. It shoots well in my model 96 and my model 70 Winchester. 7grains of unique is about right.  I've tried heavier charges of medium burning powdwers like 4895 and winchester 748 but with limited succes. The 7 grains of unique kills groundhogs quite dead as far away as one can hit them considering the low velocity.  The long 6.5 Lyman bullet would probably shoot clear through a coyote with out damaging the hide.

I entered the military postal match several years ago with the Model 96 and the Lyman Bullet doing pretty well I recall with the 7 grain unique load.

I supose any of the faster burning pistol powders would be just as good as the unique.

Good Luck, Have Fun and be safe

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 03 March 2013

NOE also makes a larger than normal 6.5 mould. None in stock at present though. I'm feeding several japanese 6.5s, none of them slug less than .268 and as high as .271. That's the big secret to getting the Swedes to shoot, fill the bore!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 March 2013

back when i still had some m38's, i bot from Lee, two seperate special molds... 2 cavity ... one oversize nose, one oversize grooves ( body ) ( rear end ) .. then i traded the guns off ... timing is everything ... ( g ) ... but kept the molds ... recently i sent both molds to an experienced shooter to play with ... maybe learn something yet ... .

anyway, maybe Lee still has the ability to run some more of this special ” oversize ” ( if IT fits, you must order IT ).

also, on my m38 throats, the throat areas were less than perfect ... BIG DEAL ! ... i think if a throating reamer were run in about 0.002 deeper carefully, you wouldn't have to set back a thread, or even de-barrel ... to clean up the ... chatter?? ... which probably affects cast bullets more than MJ . this is my speculation, but based on my experience. what could go wrong ?

oh , i have a 2 cav. 266469 fs, $45 delivered.

ken, [email protected]

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 04 March 2013

Thanks everybody. I have sort of put this on hold for a bit. I will send a slug to Veral for a mould for the rifle.

I have been busy trying to get loads and sight settings for some other rifles for the CBA Military Matches at the Van Dyne Sportsmens Club, Van Dyne, WI. I am going to have to get the snowshoes out for the 200 yard frames.

Marty

Attached Files

Dutchman posted this 31 March 2013

266673 drops at .266” from my mold. I put it through the 4500 to lube with BAC and seat the gas check. Seated way out at 3.142". Never did touch the rifling but hardly mattered. Five shots into one hole @ 50 yds. Load was 13.2 grs 2400.

Attached Files

grouch posted this 31 March 2013

My '96 really likes CBE 266132, a tappered loverin type bullet. accuracy holds up to +/- 1900 - 2000 fps using 24gr WC845, a surplus powder slightly faster than H335. Grouch

Attached Files

corerf posted this 01 April 2013

The Dutchman is a member now! Awesome.... I have a deep appreciation for your Swedish rifle experience and wisdom.

Mike

Ken, I sent an email regarding the Lyman 266 mold for sale and its availability.

Attached Files

Close