Action Screw Torque?

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 11 June 2014
R Dupraz posted this 28 February 2013

How much torque should be applied to action screws for a bolt action in a wood stock in inch/lbs? Does the type of bolt action or stock make a difference?

Same question, only for scope ring screws.

RD

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tominct posted this 28 February 2013

I've always used a proper fitting screwdriver and with one hand turned it until snug. The front screw first, then the rear. It need not be overly tight. Snug is the word.

Some rifles have floorplate/mag assembly that have an edge that will get buried into the wood, compressing it. O3A3's have this issue.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 March 2013

RD,

Hard question to answer for me. I shoot Springfields, and the rear screw is fixed by the sleeve in the stock, that one I turn up tight. The front is turned only snug, about 30 inch pounds.

Ric

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 01 March 2013

Thanks for the replies. The reason for the questions was that I was looking for some numbers as I have another little project in progress and thought that the torque requirements for guard and ring screws should be about the same as what I think I need. If that makes any sense.

Any way, I'm too cheap to buy a $100.00 and up regular inch/lb calibrated driver. But did find some torque drivers that are preset that are pretty reasonably priced.

After I posted the questions, this feeble mind searched the net and found quite a lot of info that was pretty consistant with your replies. Also found some factory torque settings as well. Thanks.

RD

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 March 2013

This is one of the reasons for “V” threaded barrels on round bottom actions. You can free float the barrel and accuracy will never get any worse without regard to screw torque. Flat bottom actions and square threads are a different animal. Ric

Attached Files

Will Durant posted this 02 March 2013

With the Remington 700 and the Winchester 70 using full power loads(308,30-06) I use 55 inch pounds up front and 50 inch pounds aft.Got this from a former USArmy rifle team member.Hope it means something to you.Will

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 02 March 2013

I calibrated MANY torque wrenches in my former work life. The most reliable are the simple beam type, round or rectangular cross section on the beam. The more complex the more potential problems there are. As long as the pointer is straight and the beam is in original form they were nearly always good (providing they were made correctly). 

Attached Files

TomG posted this 02 March 2013

"Any way, I'm too cheap to buy a $100.00 and up regular inch/lb calibrated driver. But did find some torque drivers that are preset that are pretty reasonably priced. “

RD   You don't have to spend $100 to get a torque driver to do receiver screws.

For general use, I've been using the Harbor Freight torque wrenches and they are very inexpensive. Also, they are warranted so if it breaks, just take it back and get a new one. They are the click off type.  If you look in the NRA magazine for the HF add pages there is a 20% off coupon.  The torque wrenches are usually on sale and take another 20% off and they are cheap. 

I first bought the up to 150 foot lb. wrench.  The manual said it was accurate within + or - 4 %.  I tested it and it was + 4 %.  I also bought the 300 ft. lb. wrench for use on a piece of heavy equipment I own but haven't tested the calibration yet.

For gun screws, just buy an inexpensive inch pound one and put a socket on it to drive a straight tip screwdriver bit.

As others have said, you need to find out from the manufacturer or consult a torque value table for the specific screw size and threads per inch. Some receivers only have two or three working threads so you could strip them out if you're not careful. To just make a blanket statement on torque for all situations is impossible.

Tom Gray

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 03 March 2013

Thanks Tom

RD

Attached Files

daboone posted this 12 March 2013

RicinYakima wrote: This is one of the reasons for “V” threaded barrels on round bottom actions. You can free float the barrel and accuracy will never get any worse without regard to screw torque. Flat bottom actions and square threads are a different animal. Ric "V” threaded barrels on round bottom action” ?????

” Flat bottom actions and square threads” ?????

Please explain. I'm not visualizing these descriptions. Thanks daboone

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 March 2013

daboone wrote: RicinYakima wrote: This is one of the reasons for “V” threaded barrels on round bottom actions. You can free float the barrel and accuracy will never get any worse without regard to screw torque. Flat bottom actions and square threads are a different animal. Ric "V” threaded barrels on round bottom action” ?????

” Flat bottom actions and square threads” ?????

Please explain. I'm not visualizing these descriptions. Thanks daboone

Savage 110 & Remington 700 actions are made from round bar stock and the barrels are threaded with “V” shaped threads.

1903 Springfield, Newton, early Winchester, etc have forged receivers with flat bottom. The barrels are threaded with square profile threads.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 04 May 2014

Cruise eBay and search for torque wrench. All kinds of wrenches in all kinds of sizes and styles for all kinds of prices. Most all are easily calibrated but stay with the “KISS” principle. (Keep it simple stupid)

And also remember to get one that is easy to use, or you won't.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 11 June 2014

My newer Win M70 manual suggests 35in/pd for the action screws.

Attached Files

Close