Rumor Control Re Powder Supplies

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 20 January 2015
Ed Harris posted this 12 March 2013

The latest internet rumor has it that Obama's customs department is delaying entry of imported propellant powders, which supposedly is affecting the supply both for the ammo manufacturers and the handloading market.

Grant Cunningham blasts this rumor to shreds on his blog http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog.html with a special Tuesday Edition, which is quite unusual for him.

Chris Hodgdon, of Hodgdon Powder, which distributes Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders, says that ever since the President's re-election demand has exceeded anything ever seen in the industry. They are shipping “hundreds of thousands of pounds” of powder every month, which is having no impact in the marketplace. They are operating at capacity.

The reason it is called the LAW of supply and demand and NOT the “theory” is that while demand is elastic, supply is finite.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 12 March 2013

"The reason it is called the LAW of supply and demand and NOT the “theory” is that while demand is elastic, supply is finite."

Well, almost. As demand rises, i.e. the price offered for a good or service, supply will increase with new manufacturing capacity, longer work shifts or more efficient processes. Or you can buy it on the secondary market, “I have 2400 powder, it is $100 a pound.” It is finite only a one point in time. Supply will catch up to, and then surpass, demand.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 12 March 2013

I'm really not having much trouble getting powder locally with the exception of some pistol powder. I picked up a lb of IMR4198 & H4831 on Saturday. They had plenty of primers on the shelf too. I actually have plenty of pistol powder on the shelf but would like to get a couple of lbs. of Bullseye. Although a local gun store by the name of Hendershots has none, several others have a reasonable supply.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 March 2013

Yes, locally the “cut rate” discount stores are out/low, but Cabela's has everything at retail price. The only independent gun store in 150 miles has everything you want, also at retail prices. Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 March 2013

This week I bought an 8-lb. caddy of Varget locally for $165 and a friend bought a 5-lb. caddy of RL-15 at the same store for $110.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 13 March 2013

That is why your loading with Bullseye makes so much sense! Eight pounds of Bulllseye makes 16,000 loads of 3.5 grains. At the cost here in Yakima, that equals 1.15 cents per round. Primers are 3.2 cents per round. Ric

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 14 March 2013

I saw the writing on the wall a year ago. It was obvious to all those outside of the US that Obama would go back and I sure the panic buying would happen again. I bought up on powder and primers 12 months back or more. I'm good. Local supplies are now under pressure.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 14 March 2013

i stocked up on primers and powder last year. ordered several times as i had the extra bucks. this too will pass given a few months for the panic to go to a lower level. people who dont reload are buying powder and primers just incase. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Goatwhiskers posted this 14 March 2013

Two instances that I know of, I'm sure there are plenty others, of people not shooters or loaders that are going around to shops buying gobs of anything .223, 9mm, .308, etc., for resale on the auction forums. Can't wait for the rush to settle down and they have to eat their “investment", hopefully at a loss. Goat

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 14 March 2013

What I find amusing is that I can load 32-20, 38 Special, and a little wildcat the 30 Badger for less than I can buy 22 LR ammo now. I can also load 221 Fireball, 22 Hornet, and 22 Super Jet to the same velocities and accuracy of the 22 LR ammo for less than the ammo. Picking up extra primers last year and the year before has paid off big time. Primers in my area are approaching $50 a thousand and powder at gun shows has gone uo to the 32-34 dollar per pound area while when in stock the local gun shops have held the price to pre-panic prices. This too will pass.

Edd

Attached Files

raytear posted this 15 March 2013

I know of a case locally where a friend bought .22 LRs for $25/box of 50!

He paid it because he wanted them VERY BADLY so his wife could shoot her new .22 rifle.  Having paid that, from an estate that was being liquidated he was given 4 of those boxes of ca. 500 rounds.  Ain't life quirky!

Good shooting, RT

Attached Files

mike44 posted this 15 March 2013

Goatwhiskers wrote: Two instances that I know of, I'm sure there are plenty others, of people not shooters or loaders that are going around to shops buying gobs of anything .223, 9mm, .308, etc., for resale on the auction forums. Can't wait for the rush to settle down and they have to eat their “investment", hopefully at a loss. Goat.

Monday I bought a pound of unique at gun store. Paid $24 plus tax, that night I saw 2 pounds sell on gun broker for $105 plus shipping. With people paying that kinda money on internet Im surprised there's anything left on shelves at all. A agree with hoping they take a loss but there seems to be no end of people ready to pay those kinda prices

Attached Files

Dirtybore posted this 20 January 2015

We're now entering 2015 and powder is still scarce as hens teeth. Cabelas in Olympia never has much at all. I'm an hour out so don't get there all that often so maybe the locals are getting it all.

Most of the stores I visit will only sell 1 or 2 pounds at a time so one person getting it all isn't an issue.

I havent seen RL7 on any shelves for over 2 years. Last year I found a pound of H4831SC and hunted and hunted for more. While visiting my son in the Portland area, I found and bought 3 pounds of it. I wanted more than 1 pound since my 7mm Rem Mag eats it at 60 gr per shot.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 January 2015

LGS here has 8 lb caddies of most Alliant and IMR rifle powders, some Hodgdon, no Winchester. No pistol powders, but plenty of shotgun powder. No shortage of primers. Customers limited to 1 caddy of powder and a brick of primers per month.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 20 January 2015

The pistol powders are unobtanium on the left coast ; 2400, AA9, AA4100, H108/110, 296 and 300MP. Unique and some Bullseye showing up.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 January 2015

Dirty bore,

There is a small reloading supply store in Cle Elem, WA, that at times as lots of one pound containers of powder. People are going there from all over eastern WA. They are in the phone book and take orders.

Ric

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 20 January 2015

I was in Cle Elum last Friday they had a lot of rifle powder almost no pistol powder. I am in pretty good shape for the next couple years. I know a couple guys who go to every store that carries 22 ammo and meets the freight truck. they buy all the 22 ammo they can get. Sad truth these guys don't shoot more than a 100 rounds a year. they just have to have it cause you want it.

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Close