Loose gas check inside case

• 8.3K Views
  • Last Post 30 December 2013
45ACPete posted this 18 March 2013

I wasn't sure where within the forum to post this question but I guess it doesn't really matter. I pulled the bullets from a couple of loaded rounds and the gas check stayed in the case. Since I am a penurious sort who hates to see a good case go to waste I would like to get the trapped checks out. OK to just shoot them out with a light load? Maybe just the primer alone will do it--I dunno. Has anyone tried this?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 18 March 2013

You can shoot them out if there is powder. I have opened 30 cal cases with an 8mm expander and got them out thus saving the primers.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 19 March 2013

Shooting them out is not a good idea, I tried it once, got a GC stuck in the bbl.  Most all of mine are stuck in the neck. It's better to tap them sideways in the neck, shake the powder out and use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull them out

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 March 2013

Bottleneck or straight case? In a straight case, I push on one side of the check and turn it sideways. Then I can hook it with a small o-ring pick and pull it out lengthwise.

In a bottleneck case I push the check into the case, then shake all the powder out. Then, once again, I'll hook the lip of the check with an o-ring pick and drag it out.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 19 March 2013

if its in the neck i shoot em... never had em stick in the barrel but only done it about 10 times.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 19 March 2013

Were it me, I would not try and shoot them out.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 March 2013

Chargar wrote: Were it me, I would not try and shoot them out.

No, don't shoot them out. I recently pulled some bullets & yes, the gas checks stayed in the case. I just took a cordless drill on slow speed with a small drill & drilled a hole in them. Then with a metal pick I hooked them through the hole & pulled them out. The AL checks are real easy to drill. The CU can heat up if your drill is not sharp so take it slow & make sure your bit is sharp.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 20 March 2013

Drilling not an option--the checks are loose in the case bodies (30-06, 7.5 X 55). Guess I'll try fishing them out with a hook.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 20 March 2013

Been there. I'm with Wayne S and needle nose pliers.

Michael

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 21 March 2013

plus 3 on waynes and black and blue posts I like all my fingers

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 March 2013

5-1/2 inch straight Kelly forceps.

http://www.galls.com/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=IN710

Saves the case, saves the primer, saves the powder, even saves the gascheck if you are careful about it.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 21 March 2013

Yep, Ed's got er nailed!

RD

Attached Files

Ben Cartwright SASS posted this 30 April 2013

I did that and got one stuck in the barrel so I took a round with no powder but a good primer and shot the primer which pushed the GC out of the barrel, it had a very nice picture of the rifling, which miked at .308 and a half

Attached Files

Buzzard Bill posted this 01 May 2013

I put a hook on a paper clip, pulls the check out saves some of the powder and the case and primer are good to go. You might have to re bell the case.

Attached Files

ihmsakiwi posted this 31 October 2013

I seem to be forever doing this due to general stupidity. I must have had 50 - 60 BR cases that sat for years because I couldn't work out how to get them out. I bought the skinniest needle nose pliers with very long tines but still could not get them to open in a 7mm or 30cal necks. I was fiddling around one day and the little light went on. Hold the case upside down so the gas check falls across the neck opening, push one only tine up into the case and using the friction generated by the teeth on the plier tine briskly withdraw the tine in a downward motion and it will pull the gas-check out easily. I took about ten minutes to clean up years of reloading FAUX PAS and got all my brass back. Peter

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 31 October 2013

I squeeze the case neck so it's very oval, the checks drop out, size and done.

Attached Files

fordbum46 posted this 02 November 2013

Due to operator head space, I've had to do this on several occasions. If the gc is still stuck in the neck I use a piece of coat hanger with a tight hook in the end to 1: press on the gc and cause it togo further into the case. Once the powder is emptied. 2: holding the case pointed down, use the hook and snag the open end of the gc, pulling it towards the opening. With your thumb and fore finger gently squeeze thye neck parallel to the gc while gently pulling on the gc. this should get the gc out, thus saving the case, gc, powder and primer

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 November 2013

I use a specific tool not available to everybody. The #839 Howe pliers used in Orthodontics will reach right into 30 caliber necks, It will catch the gas check and squish it so that the gas drops right out or can be pulled out with with the 139. It is a very specific tool and unfortunately not widely available to the handloader, but the 839 will do the job easily with no fuss:

http://schudental.com/schudental/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=478&zenid=kbfko5lmtej3en64s9vrlt2k35>http://schudental.com/schudental/index.php?mainpage=productinfo&cPath=21&productsid=478&zenid=kbfko5lmtej3en64s9vrlt2k35 http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rhymeswithwhat/media/PLI0839_zpsdfedff6a.jpg.html>

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 02 November 2013

I've either just pitched the case or used a pair of tweezers. It ain't that complicated.

Attached Files

cast367 posted this 25 December 2013

A small piece of metal , on the end a little bit under 90 degrees and you can pick up the gascheck.

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 28 December 2013

hey Ed, I use those forceps to put pellets in my air gun that is impossible to load other wise!

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 30 December 2013

Again.If the gas check is in the neck, push it down into the powder Squeeze the case neck so it is oval-fingers or pliers-don't damage neck!The gas check and powder will now fall out, if the case is turned upside downSize the neck. No forceps of any type are required.

Attached Files

Close