Alloying what I have on hand

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 01 April 2013
Lead weight posted this 29 March 2013

OK, I'm finding that I have a lot more to learn than I realized, since coming on board!

I'm new to all the “mathematical” equations folk use here, so I'll get to the point...

I have: 22 pounds of Linotype 9 pounds of wheel-weight 25 pounds of pure/soft lead All of this is in 1 pound ingots.

I have no lead hardness tester, don't even have a thermometer to know exact heat in the pot at any given time.

I need someone to tell me in dumb welder lingo (plain English) how much to mix Lyno, WW, PL, that I have for the following loads: .38 spl, and/or .45 acp at 750-800 fps .357 mag and/or 9mm Luger in the 1100+ fps range.

Thanks to good advice from members here, I have been in contact with Roto Metals, and plan on ordering from them SOON!

Kevin

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 30 March 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7304>Lead weight:

Just a little more info from you would help a lot.

Is your wheel weight from clip on or stick-on wheelweights?

Stick-on WW should be treated as pure lead and is usually about 6-8 BHN,   and clip-on WW is usually BHN 10-11.

Also,  will you be using plain base bullets and/or gas checked bullets in which caliber and load level.  Selecting an alloy is closely related to load pressure in psi and velocity is much less important and of little help selecting your alloys due to the variety of pressure levels achieved by different powders for a specific velocity. List your load pressures in psi for the loads you hope shoot cast. List pressures for both plain based bullet loads and gas checked loads.

If you will be using gas checked bullets on the higher pressure loads, it is likely that one alloy will be suitable for all your pistol loads and likely about BHN  11-12 .

You will likely have to check more than one manual to get load pressures with cast bullet loads but the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook #4 and the Lee 2nd Edition Modern Handloading have the most pressure data for cast loads.

How big of a melting pot do you have? How many pounds will it hold comfortably?  I am comfortable mixing 13-15 pounds of alloy in a Lee 4-20 pot, a 20 pound pot. Pot size is important in determining your batch weight that you want a formula for.

You can go “simple” with this alloy selection or really put thought into it to come up with what is really best for your applications. The Lee book I recommended has a terrific section on selecting plain base bullet hardness based on load level in psi. I'd recommend selecting alloy based on the highest load level you expect with plain based bullets and for the higher load levels, use the same alloy on gas checked bullets. Gas checks greatly extend the load pressure range of any alloy.

Gary

Attached Files

Lead weight posted this 30 March 2013

I'd have to keep things simple...I have a lyman 47th reloading handbook, (strange it lists linotype for the high vel pistol loads)and other maunuals like sierra, Hornaday, and Speer.

My “pot” set up is a lee Precision Melter,4 pound volume, ladle work only, but it has served me longer than the bottom pour Lee melter I used to own. (it died)

I went to Lowe's today to get a 1 pound roll of 50/50 lead-tin solder, but they stopped carrying anything with lead in it. (thanks, EPA) so I can't mix up Lyman #2 like I used to.

Most of the time I use AA-No. 5, or Unique for nearly all of my loads, my 4” M-19 .357 mag loves that range of powder. I have used Herco for decent results, nothing much slower burning than that.

Most of my lead bullets are plain base,except for the Lyman GC #358156 bullet, have not worked with it a whole lot, but I do like it.

I'm looking into getting the Lyman cast bullet book!

Kevin

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 30 March 2013

If it were me I'd mix the whole works together and go for it. The rounds you are shooting won't require anything harder than that. You could gas check the .357's with that alloy and go to max speeds without difficulty. This is just my opinion but I bet it would work. With your four lb. pot you could put in three to one of the soft to lino and cast great looking bullets with a ladle. Just to try it before you got too committed anyway.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 30 March 2013

Plus 1 to http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=348>delmarskid1, That is how I'd keep it simple too.

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 31 March 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7304>Lead weight:

Another alloy that is easy to make with what you have is the traditional “HARDBALL” pistol alloy. simple as can be, equal parts soft lead and Linotype. This will be about BHN 15 and great for hot , high pressure pistol loads and suitable for rifle or pistol  anywhere Lyman #2 alloy is recommended.

Gary

Attached Files

Lead weight posted this 31 March 2013

I appreciate the info guys! I sure picked a heck of a time to get back into shooting/casting again. I look at Midway USA, and other places, and they are sold out of everything! Molds, lead hardness testers, melting pots... And now I'm finding out that wheel weights are suspect, and everyone is going lead-free!:cusout:

Kevin

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 31 March 2013

Dumb welder lingo? I resemble that remark! Welcome to the Cast Bullet Association. The 44 Special in my avatar shoot wheelweight, nothing more or less, just wheelweight. I like making my own lead bullets and shooting Ruger Blackhawks and TC Contenders. Good Sport for me.

Ron

Attached Files

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7304>Lead weight: A lot current wheelweight is Zinc. It melts higher than lead. You can separate the zinc ones easily if you don't turn your pot too high. Turn only to 8 on the Lee and the lead will melt and the zinc weights  will float up and not melt...toss them out.

Wheelweight is no longer available in my area at all. I collect range scrap from my club and buy linotype scrap locally for my bullet alloys.

Gary

Attached Files

OK, I can get tin (lead free) solder, am assuming it can be mixed into WW material just like 50/50 stuff? I can get WW material, it's just getting time consuming to separate the “chaff” from the “wheat"!

Kevin

Attached Files

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7304>Lead weight: This online book is an excellent source for info on alloying with chapters you can download or the whole book in PDF free:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellBookContents.htm

Gary

Attached Files

Got that one bookmarked, copied some of it to read at break times at work...:thumbsup:

Kevin

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 01 April 2013

I cast bullets for a couple of years with a coleman stove and a dipper. I learned how to do stuff! The gear we buy is handy but not required.

Attached Files

Close