Lil'Gun in Rifles?

• 8.7K Views
  • Last Post 10 September 2013
mckg posted this 14 April 2013

Has anybody tried it with cast bullets in Military Rifles or similar cases, the way you would use 2400 or 4227?

I've got quite a bit of that powder to shoot, bought before becoming aware of it's burning heat and effect on forcing cones... Heat might favor such loads...

I browse a few forums and cannot remember a single reference for anything bigger than the Hornet...

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mckg posted this 14 April 2013

All right, most likely answer is that Hodgdon doesn't recommend reducing Lil'Gun more than 90% of case volume.

I'm still wondering what it would do under a filler.

Attached Files

grouch posted this 14 April 2013

H110 works well for reduced loads in 308/30 06/30 40 Krag/303 brit etc. I've been wondering about Lil Gun too. I'll try some my next powder purchase, but that's a while away. Grouch

Attached Files

mckg posted this 15 April 2013

Do you use a filler?

I used a 110 knock-off in 45-70 a long time ago with cotton as a filler, and quickly stopped because of the burning balls flying in the range...:) For some reason I cannot find track of the experiment in my load book... I dropped the powder because of leakage in my measure.

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 15 April 2013

mckg wrote: Do you use a filler?

I used a 110 knock-off in 45-70 a long time ago with cotton as a filler, and quickly stopped because of the burning balls flying in the range...:) For some reason I cannot find track of the experiment in my load book... I dropped the powder because of leakage in my measure. What I don't like about Lil Gun is that it seems to have a very “spikey” burn rate. In several cartridges I've seen it go high pressure with a very small increase in powder. It doesn't seem to lend itself very well to ladder loading in my experience. YMMV.

Edd

Attached Files

mckg posted this 17 April 2013

badgeredd wrote: Wat I don't like about Lil Gun is that it seems to have a very “spikey” burn rate. In several cartridges I've seen it go high pressure with a very small increase in powder. It doesn't seem to lend itself very well to ladder loading in my experience. YMMV.

Edd That's “funny", reading data about Longshot I had a feeling that it didn't like heavy bullets... And I'm not happy with Titegroup's cleanliness and density... Hodgdon didn't score big hits with their “own brewed” sphericals...

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 April 2013

While I don't use many Hodgdon powders, they have gone out of way to provide powders for very small “niche markets". Trail Boss isn't even advertised anymore on their website, Lil' Gun is for 410 shotguns, mainly skeet shooters, and many other “slow” rifle powders are leaving the market. I am very thankful to them for keeping H4895 and H4831 on the market.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 17 April 2013

RicinYakima wrote: While I don't use many Hodgdon powders, they have gone out of way to provide powders for very small “niche markets". Trail Boss isn't even advertised anymore on their website, Lil' Gun is for 410 shotguns, mainly skeet shooters, and many other “slow” rifle powders are leaving the market. I am very thankful to them for keeping H4895 and H4831 on the market.That's why I was disappointed. They could have left Lil'gun out of Pistol tables, like one of the Clays(?). Bringing new products when you have such an image triggers high expectations.

Attached Files

454PB posted this 18 April 2013

mckg wrote: All right, most likely answer is that Hodgdon doesn't recommend reducing Lil'Gun more than 90% of case volume.

I'm still wondering what it would do under a filler.

Where did you find this information? I know it's true for H-110/WW296, but I've never seen it for Lil'Gun.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 18 April 2013

http:/s.handloads.com/archive_posts.asp?TID=20995

I haven't re-read the whole thread; my quoting 90% might come from Freedomarms 454 data:

"TIP #2: An important SAFETY FACT to remember: When loading slow burning ball powders in reduced loads, NEVER load cases below 90% of capacity. Powders like H110 or W296 are prime examples of this condition...."

It is nice to get an actual, measurable tip to follow.

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 April 2013

mckg, I shoot Lil'Gun in my 22 Hornet with j-bullets with fantastic performance and accuracy. I tried it in my 308 and my 30-06 compared to my other verified loads, but it must not have worked out since I never recorded the data.

We use a lot of 'shotgun' powders for cast bullet loads in pistols and rifles, but it seems not each and every shotgun powder will perform safely and accurately in cb loads......Dan

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 21 April 2013

I ran about 3000 rnds of Lil'gun and jacketed through my Hornet and there is a lot of erosion. I've heard the shooters who use it in 32-20 revolvers have worn out the forcing cone and that it burns out the 410 hulls faster than other powders.

I've replaced the Hornet barrel (thats another  maker disaster story), and will use H110 and maybe a couple other powders, if they ever reappear on the shelves, from now on.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 21 April 2013

Thanks Guys

What kind of density do you get in the Hornet?

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 21 April 2013

mckg wrote: Thanks Guys

What kind of density do you get in the Hornet? Compressed. 

Attached Files

Notlwonk wrote: Compressed.  Thank you!

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 April 2013

mckg wrote: Thanks Guys

What kind of density do you get in the Hornet?

I use 13.5grs compressed load in Remington brass (Winchester won't hold 13.5). I've shot about 2,000 rounds over the last 8 years and have no throat erosion, no copper fouling and several reloads on my brass. I just love the load. The 35gr V-max chronos at 3,200 fps........Dan

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 April 2013

Second Dan. I use 12.5 grains, same bullet, in my 1932 Savage 23D Hornet. A fine load for me, mild pressure and 3000 f/s. Ric

Attached Files

Thanks Dan.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 22 April 2013

My prairie dog shooting buddy and I use Lil Gun in our 22 Hornets and our 22 Fireball rifles. I guarantee you that it will burn out barrels in both. However, it performs so well we rebarrelled all four rifles and kept right on using Lil Gun. We are currently working on our 3rd 8lb keg of the stuff. I haven't tried it for cast nor will I any time soon.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 22 April 2013

Perhaps part of the erosion comes from high power competition, 10 rnds in 60 or 70 sec and then 20 rnds in probably 15 minutes.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 04 May 2013

Nosler apparently has a different idea about what can be done in the density department;

http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data/45-Colt-(Ruger)-Handgun-300-Grains.aspx

But then, I might not understand their data...:

http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data/44-Remington-Magnum-Handgun-300-Grains.aspx

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 May 2013

re: throat erosion ... for my prairie dog shooter buddies, i recommend a modified barrel taper ...varmint wt but straight on the breech end for about 6 inches ,,, this leaves 3 or 4 setbacks y rechambers ... after that, the throats may become weird and too much work to renew ...

also, if you are using a serious case, ...a 222 for instance ... with a serious neck ... you can freshen up the throat a little between setbacks ... if you use a seperate guided throater reamer ...

i am with the guys who would go for good accuracy even if it means more throat erosion .... ” shot of a lifetime ... priceless ! ... “

just sayin ...

ken

Attached Files

JSH posted this 05 May 2013

I have shot a fair bit of lil gun in 30-20, 357 and the 22 hornet all in TCs mind you. Performance across the board has been excellent. I went and did a bit of checking from old measurements and see no wear. If any of them would it would be the 357. Has had bunch of full tilt loads through it. Heat checking/cracking is what was getting to the FAs if I recall. I may have some of that but see no evidence and have no bore scope. I still suspect light bullet and heavy powder charges. The down fall of the 357 max IMHO. Was more the handloaders fault than the cartridge/case. Jeff

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 13 May 2013

Ken Campbell, Iowa wrote: ... for my prairie dog shooter buddies, ... ken

prairie dogs in Iowa? (I grew up in Grinnell)

Where do y'all hunt prairie dogs? (I'm going to SOUTH DAKOTA (from VIRGINIA) to hunt them in a couple of weeks, always looking for new places.)

Attached Files

PETE posted this 13 May 2013

TRK

Don't know about any prairie dogs here but we do have plenty for “grinnies".

Pete

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 13 May 2013

Pete -

THANKS!!! I KNOW what grinnies are! It's been since 1965 since I've heard someone else use the term!

Tim K

Attached Files

Gunner220 posted this 10 September 2013

Is an excellent powder for the 300 Blackout/Whisper interms of accuracy and velocity.

Attached Files

Close