300 aac blackout any cast loads ESP 155grn Lee mold

• 7.5K Views
  • Last Post 30 April 2013
casca posted this 30 April 2013

trying my hand at converting and loading some 300 aac blackout bullets

using cast bullets already lubed and in waiting .  Will be shooting out of the 300 Blackout handi rifle..  Not alot of data on the cast that I feel is reliabe.

So the best place to start would be here.

I have on hand some IMR4227  trailboss  some reddot unique .

I always felt good about 13 grns reddot in any 30 caliber but this might be the exception to the rule. 

any ideas would be welcome

thanx

casca

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mike morrison posted this 30 April 2013

16.0 Data 2200 Lee 200gr gc. 1450 fps.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 30 April 2013

16.0 Data 2200 Lee 200gr gc. 1450 fps.

Which primer?

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 30 April 2013

Winchester small rifle

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 April 2013

casca wrote: trying my hand at converting and loading some 300 aac blackout bullets....I always felt good about 13 grns reddot in any 30 caliber but this might be the exception to the rule. any ideas would be welcome...thanx...casca

In the tiny Blackout case I would not use more than 5 grains of Red Dot. The 13-grain “load” was based upon full-sized military cases of .303 British size and larger.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 April 2013

i think lots of caution is a great idea with this backout/300 whisper/300-221 fireball developement ...

this is very interesting, but varying sources report varying specs and data for this ” family “.

reminds me of the introduction of the ” mattel it must be swell .. ” back during the big party in vietnam ...

for you young guys, i was a BAR lugger for 6 years ... ( all in the reserves )... that fired a modified 30 BR REM. case, extended to hold 60 gr. water ! what an innovation.

ken

Attached Files

5gr red dot sounds about right I knew 13 gr would be a little over the top,

FYI Ken : Biggest I ever had to hump was a lil old Stinger that was an INNOVATION

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 April 2013

from my experience with 22 hornet, 218 bee, 25-20 ... i would go with h4227 ... imr 4198 ... range of powders and work up in 0.3 grain steps ... extrapolation factors are that the expansion ratio will be greater, but be cautious because of the inertia of the heavier bullets in the blackout ...

remember ... just editing a few letters can turn ” extrapolation ” ... into ” explosion ” ... ( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 30 April 2013

http://reloadersnest.com/querybw.asp?CaliberID=135&BulletWeight=150  I KNOW  J bullets, but the loads should give you a starting point

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 30 April 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2006>casca:

I recommend you take a good look at Hodgdon Titegroup and what Hodgdon says about it at their site.  It looks like the ideal selection for subsonic  to under 1,600 fps for the 300 Blackout.

You will need to start at about 3 grains for any bullet weight in that cartridge for near sonic velocity. A chronograph will be needed to monitor your velocities and stay safely sub-sonic if that is what you are looking for.

Hodgdon really brags that this powder lights very well even with tiny charges in large cases. It would be my first choice. I use it with the 300 AAC cast Lee bullet in 7.62X39.

If you want to stay subsonic regardless of altitude and local weather you need to have a muzzle velocity at ~900-950 fps MAX including any E.S.

Warning: I have seen more than a few reports that Trailboss is erratic with broad Extreme Spread of velocity  in the application you are looking into. This means that Trailboss works but the bullets shoot all over the place.

Gary

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 April 2013

I would not be aftaid of trying 3 to 4 grains of Bullseye in the Blackout, based upon my experience using it in the .32 ACP up through the 7.62x39 and .30-'06. No filler needed.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

this would not be so comical, if I could just order componets that I needed like the perfect powder, the just right bullet weight & size.

If i was reloading 223 or 308 or even the 7.62x39 I have on hand the exactly correct stuff.

don't even want to mention the low point of using primers that are made of gold .

My goal is to get scope set close then load a 100 or so then put it on a shelf for better times .

My opion on this famine is that this will be the new normal for quite awhile.

WHAT SAY YE ALL ?? casca

Attached Files

Close