.323" cast balls with Black Powder and Brass cases

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 10 May 2013
RicinYakima posted this 07 May 2013

Last time I was out shooting sage rats, I was charged twice! I dropped the .222 Rem and picked up the Stevens SxS. First time was OK as I had a .730” ball (725 grains with 2 3/4 drams FF) that hit center. But second time I missed the first shot and second shot was low, but she fell into the hole and broke her neck, so was saved in the end.

I have a lot of .323” cast balls available, and have loaded two test rounds. 2 3/4 drams, one over powder wad, one fiber wad, 18 balls (900 grains) and over shot wad. Pattern is good at 10 inches from 7 yards, but opens up to 30” at 25 yards.

Any suggestions for tightening up the group at 25 yards? I would like to get it down to 18” if possible. Stevens is cut off to 20” with no choke. Thanks for any ideas.

Ric

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 08 May 2013

No choke is going to make it tough. I've heard of people having a few wraps of Mylar tape in side of the case to hold the shot together for a while. Grex or cornmeal in the shot charge may limit deformation. I like a .735” ball in a rifled barrel with 80g of FFF. Sort of a mega-Brown Bess.  She didn't break her neck. She hanged herself to escape a worse fate.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 May 2013

True, she might have been captured by my pardner with bayonette on his 1897 Trench gun. Then she could have been drawn and quartered!

I have a can of shot buffer, but didn't know if it would work with that big of shot?

Ric

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 08 May 2013

I think a lot of buck shot is buffered.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 08 May 2013

I have a lot of .323” cast balls available. Pattern is good at 10 inches from 7 yards, but opens up to 30” at 25 yards.

Any suggestions for tightening up the group at 25 yards? I would like to get it down to 18” if possible. Stevens is cut off to 20” with no choke. Thanks for any ideas.

Ric You wouldn't happen to have an 8mm rifle to shoot them, would you ? (Sorry :)).

What about a multi-ball 30-30 or 32?

In all fairness, you cannot tell a mock charge from a real one at 25 yards and your pattern seems good enough at close range...

Attached Files

It's the time factor, you see. I'm 64+ years old and they can cover 25 yards in about 3 seconds! I just can't get the sights aligned with the 8.15X46R single shot in time. Can't find then in the 6X scope that close for the 222 Rem and just too slow on the draw with Colt 44 New Service.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 May 2013

You should know better than to go out there without backup. They'll get you, sooner or later, pilgrim. What about one of those new plastic wads I've heard about? The mountain men often went out alone, they were partial to the tomahawk when push came to shove.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 08 May 2013

And here I thought that cabin fever had run it's course for 2013. Wrong again!

RD

Or could it be that there is a wee bit of sherry left over yet.

Attached Files

Gentlemen, please, a little milk of human kindness for an old man! The high temperature has been in the 40's all spring, starting last Sunday, 91 and hotter today. Grass is growing six inches a day, wife wants to know why spring work isn't done, and friends are calling for me to shoot sage rats, eating all the alfalfa.

Will try the buffer and shot wrap tonight if there is any energy after putting the air-conditioners in the windows.

Best, Ric

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 08 May 2013

Life in just not fair!!

RD

Attached Files

mckg posted this 09 May 2013

Ric, what about salvaging some smaller shot and wad from factory ammo and loading it in your brass?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 May 2013

That is a thought, as I have some salvaged range shot that is a mix of 7, 7 1/2 and 8.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 10 May 2013

Plastic wads will fit loosely in a brass case because the walls are thinner than plastic hulls. This may allow you to wrap tape around the wad to hold the shot together a bit. My brass cases are balloon headed and take large pistol primers.

Attached Files

Close