M&P 45 reloading

• 6.8K Views
  • Last Post 26 May 2013
dcrane 33 posted this 18 May 2013

Trying to reload lead 185 swc for my M&P 45c. The only way that I can get them to chamber is to seat the bullet so far in, that the round is below minimum oal. Can I not use swc bullets in my M&P, or am I doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 18 May 2013

Will factory 185-grain jacketed wadcutters chamber?

If they do, measure their diameter at the case mouth.

If you attempt to chamber, then extract one of your loaded cast bullet rounds, is the bullet marked? What diameter are you sizing bullets to? Are you using a full-length profile-crimp die, such as the Lee or Redding?

Measuring your loaded rounds case mouth should be taper-crimped to .470” diameter, and case body at bullet base should not exceed .473". Don't know which bullet you are using, but 185-gr. short-nosed wadcutter similar to H&G 130 is OK as short as 1.185” with up to 4.5 grs. of Bullseye or 4.8 grs. of W231.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Haven't tried factory wad cutters. I am sizing bullets to .451. I am using Lee dies including the factory crimp die. Using H&G 130. Accurate #5,8grs. Minimum OAL is 1.230". I will try your formula.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 May 2013

Accurate No. 5 is not the best powder for loading the .45 ACP. You will have much better results with Bullseye, W231 or WST.

With the H&G 130 best accuracy at 50 yards for target shooting will be had with 4.2-4.5 grs. of Bullseye, or WST, or 4.5-4.8 grs. of W231 or HP38.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 18 May 2013

Ed, as usual, is “Spot On"...

I have no experience with a Smith M&P but have world's of experience with 1911's and Smith 625's in .45 ACP. You can follow Ed's recipe and almost be guaranteed success.

I have an original H&G four cavity #130 mould. I have used that bullet extensively in both target and my old IPSC days. I shot light target loads (similar to what Ed suggests on the low end) for NRA Bullseye and full house loads using the same bullet for IPSC use. You will note that Ed's loads for full loads are a bit under what you'll see recommended with long nose wadcutters like the H&G #68 200 gr SWC. The #130 takes up more case capacity and needs about 1/2 grain less powder for full pressure loads when using fast burning powders.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

mckg posted this 18 May 2013

I don't know about the M&P, but some 1911's hardly have any throating... the barrels' lands start right out of the chamber and won't allow any part of the bullet if of full diameter.

Attached Files

I think that the chamber is probably similar to the 1911 because I'm having the same problem. I have to seat the bullet almost all the way in past the sholder to get it to chamber. I think that I will try Ed 's bullseye formula. I can't seem to find that recipe anywhere in my Lee or Lyman reloading books. I trust you Ed,but I just wanted to double check. Thanks guys for all your help. I have 500 H&G 130's and hope that I can use them. Just want to be safe.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 May 2013

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition, (2010) p.277

452460 200-gr. SWC at ctg. OAL 1.161” (similar weight and OAL required of H&G 130)

Bullseye start 3.5 grs., 645fps, 6,900 cup. Bullseye max. 5.6 IS EXCESSIVE - PROBABLE MISPRINT! Do not exceed 4.6 grs. at this OAL! 869fps, 15,700cup as published agrees with my experience for 4.5-4.6 grs. chronographed in various match pistols.

Attached Files

dcrane 33 posted this 19 May 2013

Thanks again Ed. I'll let you know how I make out.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 19 May 2013

The RCBS 185 BB bullet I use for target work in my Kimber (all I use it for) I use 3 8 grs. of Bullseye. OAL is 1.175 which just allows the bullet to kiss the rifling. Very accurate.

The light load I use in my Ruger 45LC/45 acp conversion using the above bullet is 3.3 grs. of Bullseye. OAL is 1.191. Shoots a shade under 2” at 25 yds.

I do have a top load but it's a little over the max. listed in the current Lyman manual so better not list that.

Pete

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 20 May 2013

I don't like AA5 much. AA2 is good if you have it.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 May 2013

AA2 is close to, but not identical to 231 or HP38, about 1/2 grain slower than Bullseye, 452AA or WST, 4.2 grs. to start, about 4.7-4.8 grs. with 200 SWC for “full charge."

Attached Files

DonH posted this 20 May 2013

Just a few added thoughts. I shot NRA Bullseye comp. for many years. I never loaded the H&G 130 (or it's Lyman counterpart) but recall those who did use it in 1911s seemed to need to do more “tuning” for reliable functioning. The 452460 Lyman which I idi use for some time, has a nose profile just enough different that it fed pretty reliably in my 1911 without feed ramp work. When I got a mold foe the H&G #68 I never looked back. Re: O.A.L., the std. Colt .45acp chamber is long enough that I/we would determine the o.a.l. by how far out of the case the bullet needed to be for the round to headspace on the bullet “shoulder".

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 20 May 2013

You mean people are still shootin the ol 45???:D

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 May 2013

Yes, but I prefer the ACP in a wheelgun!

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 May 2013

Ed; I have over 100,000 rounds through my 1911's but freely admit that my favorite .45 ACP's these days are my two 625's. I LOVE not having to chase empties! I guess I am just enough “old school” to really enjoy shooting revolvers.

I was at the range today with my 625-8 JM Special w/Red Dot (lost the vision in my right eye a few years ago and truly appreciate the “help” that a red dot sight gives me).

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

dcrane 33 posted this 21 May 2013

Still waiting to try that Bullseye formula ED. Haven't been able to find Bullseye powder yet. Trying two other places today. Just loading empty cases with the H & G 130's at an OAL of 1.800 seems to chamber and cycle fine. Hopefully I'll find Bulleye, and can go to the range soon.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 May 2013

You can get the same results with 4.0-4.2 grs. of Red Dot or 700-X, 4.3-4.5 grs. of WST, or with 4.5-4.7 of W231 or HP38.

Attached Files

dcrane 33 posted this 22 May 2013

Just got back from the range. I ended up using Red Dot. at 4 grains. Felt good when fired, and was pretty accurate at 5 yards. still had a chambering problem. Would fire the round but would not fully chamber the next round. Would only chamber first round when I hit the slide lock. OAL was set at 1.800. Will try at 1.7

Attached Files

dcrane 33 posted this 22 May 2013

Sorry. I meant 1.180 and 1.170

Attached Files

mckg posted this 23 May 2013

Do you have any marks on the ogive (land marks) or the brass (circular rubbing marks)? Some brands like Federal produce very thick brass, causing problems in tight chambers.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close