Purpose of Cast Bullet Lubricant?

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 26 May 2013
Chargar posted this 22 May 2013

Guys, does anybody here know, really know the purpose of cast bullet lubricant. Is the purpose of lubricate the passage of the bullet down the barrel or form a seal/gasket at the base to keep the fire off the sides of the bullet base? Perhaps there is another alternative or some kind of combination.

I have been reading opinions and theories for years, but it seems like this would be a known and proven fact after the passage of this many years. Is there a conclusion or just a variety of opinions? I would really like to know.

Please guys, don't state you opinion as if it were a fact. I don't need any more of that. I am seeking knowledge and not more opinions, theories and speculation. I really do want to know.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 22 May 2013

That is an unending dispute. The shooters that don't get their bullets to fit insist their lube is very important. I agree, it is for them. Those same shooters just don't believe anybody really shoots cast bullets without lube.

The purpose of the lube is to actualize the the definition of the word lube.

Gary

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 May 2013

I once thought I had to know which came first, the chicken or the egg. I don't care anymore, I make omlets and just enjoy it.

...........I cast bullets, size em, lube em, load em, shoot em and just enjoy it :D...............Dan

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 23 May 2013

And that Dan, is why I look upon you as a father figure. ;-)

Hard to argue Dan's reasoning though.

I favour Glen Fryell's piston ring theory. Why? Cos you can shoot a soft lead projectile buffered with the likes of Cream of Wheat, without lube, and not leading.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 May 2013

Ken Mollohan nailed this years ago. Our bullets lubes form an ablative coating which coats the bore to prevent adhesionof “vaporous lead” abraded from the surface of the bullet, by action of powder gases. This is described as the “boundary layer” principle of lubrication, and in my experience is correct.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 May 2013

JeffinNZ wrote: And that Dan, is why I look upon you as a father figure. ;-)

Hard to argue Dan's reasoning though.

I favour Glen Fryell's piston ring theory. Why? Cos you can shoot a soft lead projectile buffered with the likes of Cream of Wheat, without lube, and not leading.

Thanks Jeff, I'd be proud to have you as a son...you're a blessed man.

Cream-a-Wheat for shooting cast bullets, huh? Whatever the form of 'ablative coating' does as Ed states......I have tried a lota lube from Pomade, Chapstick, Irish Spring soap; they all worked for preventing lead in the bore, but each with varying degrees of achieving a clean bore condition and accuracy. I heard mayonaise and peanut butter will work also for bullet lube, but I've never tried food products.......Dan

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 23 May 2013

Ed is right that the only person that I know of that has looked into this question in depth with a series of well designed experiments to back up his theory is Ken Mollohan.

Ken reported his work in the Fouling Shot quite a while ago and more recently referred to it. I am sorry that I don't know the location of those articles.

I can sympathize with Charger's lack of interest in hearing more opinions and unsupported theories. We have lots of then about cast bullets and a shortage of the kind of actual controlled experimentation that Ken Mollohan did.

John

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 23 May 2013

Thank you Ed and John, this is precisely the information I was seeking. While I have a good education (Fine Arts, Law and Theology), I had zero education or knowledge of any kind of hard science. I had to look up some of the terms and concepts, but I think I have captured the idea.

Thanks again..Charles Graff

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 May 2013

It's good to hear a solid answer to that seemingly never ending question. Thank You Charles & Ed.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 23 May 2013

Reading and trying to learn here. But now I do wonder what lube with peanut butter would smell like when fired. I may just try some on a bp patch to see. I wonder if the crunchy would work on a pan lube boolit as lapping compound. No bs I am gonna try some before the summer is up. Jeff

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 24 May 2013

Most mass produced peanut butters have a lot of dextrose sugar in them. I wonder what kind of mess would arrive if this burned?

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 May 2013

JSH wrote: Reading and trying to learn here. But now I do wonder what lube with peanut butter would smell like when fired. I may just try some on a bp patch to see. I wonder if the crunchy would work on a pan lube boolit as lapping compound. No bs I am gonna try some before the summer is up. Jeff

Jeff, sounds like fun. (some are way too serious here) I'd buy fresh ground creamy peanut butter at the health food store to stay away from the sugars that delsmarkid1 spoke of. From my research I see the natural contained sugar amount is around 8% and water content is only about 1-2%; I'd add a few drops of water to a Tablespoon of peanut butter, mix it up some and apply that for bp patches.

Those looking under the title of this post looking for more bullet lube purpose could use what I go to for reference information from the NRA publications. Past issues of American Rifleman of Feburary 1958 and July 1965 have articles by Col. E. H. Harrison. The articles are also reprinted in NRA's 1979 publication of a collection of American Rifleman articles all about cast bullets, called CAST BULLETS compiled by Col. E. H. Harrison. Then again, Col. E. H. Harrison might be one of those who spread opinions and unsupported theories.

JeffinNZ, I too enjoy Glen's infomative Los Angeles Silhouette Clubs' webpage, a lot of good info there. There is also some good indepth info going on over at castboolit forum about cast bullet lube. Not sure if any of them are using actual controled experimentation though?................Dan

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 25 May 2013

Anything Glen Fryxell writes about cast bullet shooting is to be read, and given full weight. If there is anybody who knows more about cast bullet shooting in revolvers, I don't know who that would be. This is his passion.

Glen has a Ph.D in Biochemistry and for a number of years was he Head Scientist for a group doing cutting edge research for the United States Navy. He brings this keen intellect and approach to his work with cast bullets.

He is a dedicated husband and father with a great love of good food and life. He is one heck of a man.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 26 May 2013

Since this thread now has absolutely nothing to do with lubes or cast bullets let me just say hat Glen Fryxell has whup-assed taste in Rock and Roll guitar players. Check out his face book page and prove me wrong if you can.

Attached Files

Close