Safety for Moisin Nagant

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 28 December 2013
biddulph posted this 02 August 2013

Hi Guys

I've just imported a Moisin Nagant (1939) into Australia and customs can't let me have it because it has no safety catch. Anyone know of a way to modify one of these rifles to fit a safety catch? Or is it likely to be prohibitively expensive?

Cheers and thanks

James

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
nimrod posted this 02 August 2013

It does have a safety I don't know what they are calling “catch". Maybe their fingers are not strong enough to actuate the safety? Some are really tough I guess that they know that to put the safety on you have close the bolt and grasp the cocking piece pull back really hard and then turn to the left? Not that the easy to do for the uninitiated

Just asking?

RB

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 02 August 2013

Nimrod is correct. It does have a saftey although I have never seen  anyone use it.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 02 August 2013

thanks guys, i think i now have the answer!

hope to get the Moisin shooting cast next week!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 02 August 2013

Keep us posted. I'd like to hear how it goes.

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 05 August 2013

biddulph wrote: hope to get the Moisin shooting cast next week! I'd suggest that you slug the bore to find the groove diameter as the Mosins vary greatly. Also it is a good idea to do an impact slug of the chamber neck area. I've seen some that are as large as .318 and as small as .311". The better your bullets fits the neck and leade, the better your accuracy will be.

Edd

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 06 August 2013

Hi Badgered Excuse ignorance, mine, but what's throat diameter and how do I go about measuring it? And won't any projectile fired simply swags down to the average bore diameter in any case?

Cheers James

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 06 August 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2607>biddulph Chamber throat begins where the  area in your chamber for the case neck ends and the throat continues to where the rifling begins and tapers to full dimension of the lands and grooves. Throats are usually parallel walled with constant diameter from beginning to end but some are tapered and that would be measurable from the chamber casting of your rifle by using a chamber casting alloy cast into a chamber. The term “Ball Seat” is a military term used to define the spot in a tapering throat where the diameter of the bullet and the throat match and are equal.

The most accurate way to measure chamber throats is with a special chamber casting alloy poured into a chamber that has been prepared with a temporary plug of rag precisely located.

You can get an inexpensive chamber casting alloy From RotoMetals and their instructions are pretty good. you can also search videos on “Chamber Casting” through Google or YouTube, there is a bunch of them.

RotoMetals chamber casting alloy: http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/chamber_casting_alloy.htm>http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/chambercastingalloy.htm melting temp for this alloy is listed at 158-190 degrees F. so only low heat is needed and very convenient.

The alloy is re-usable, so one ingot is about a lifetime supply for one person.

For best accuracy with cast bullets, the bullet diameter should match the throat dimension with a very slight drag denoting a fit to the throat by the bullet. I have done this for all my rifles used with cast bullets to determine the best bullet size for accuracy. The best size is just that..the best fit to the throat with no wobble of the bullet possible in the throat when loaded or upon firing cast bullets.

This is what so many are saying ( myself included ) when they recommend that bullet fit is so important with cast bullets and recommend not to bother selecting bullet casting molds until you really know what bullet size you need, as throat size of your chamber defines the best fit for cast bullets. After that everything else is secondary.

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 August 2013

Yes, the Mosin does have a safety as described. Better yet, Timney makes a trigger for the Mosin with a safety built into it.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

[email protected] posted this 28 December 2013

A friend of mine drilled and tapped the rear of the trigger gaurd, then runs a thumb screw thru the hole up against the the back of the trigger for a quiet, easy to use safety. He also had a local gun genius install an after market mauser trigger for an unbelievable crisp, light trigger.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 December 2013

hey flashman !! exactly my thought re: thumbscrew thru back of trigger guard. just the ticket to get approval of government intelligence types.

devious minds think alike ...

or it could be that half empty bottle of rasberry riunite ...

ken

Attached Files

Close