Heavy .32 ACP Bullets in Pistols & Rifles

• 7.8K Views
  • Last Post 10 January 2014
Millelacs posted this 23 August 2013

I would like to shoot heavy (90 & 100 gr) cast bullets in .32 ACP / 7.65 Browning pistols and rifles with chamber adapters (30-30, 30-06 & .303 Br), rather than standard 75 & 85 gr bullets.

Any suggestions on powder and charges.  I use a lot of Bullseye in other pistols.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 23 August 2013

Using the .32 ACP /7.65 Browning chamber adapters in military rifles having 10-inch twist of rifling, the heavier bullets designed for the .32 S&W Long and .32-20 Winchester work well. I found in the rifle length adapters a heavier charge was necessary to overcome bore drag in the longer barrel and to get best accuracy. The 2 grain charge of Bullseye with these bullets is a stout load for typical blowback operated autopistols, and I would limit its use to those having steel frames, and not the light alloy ones. My ca. 1963 Walther PP, formerly of the Polizei Bremerhaven handles them just fine, as does my CZ27. I do not use them in my light alloy frame Beretta!

I use these in a .30-30 Winchester 94 lever-action, a .303 British No. 4 rifle and in a 7.62x54R Finnish M39 with good results.

Most of my testing has been in the .30-30 using a Winchester 94 with MCA Specialties .32 ACP Insert, but these loads seem to shoot well in all:

RWS 73-grain FMJ 1111fps, 9Sd, 1” group at 25 yds. LBT.312-105FN, 1.7 BE 851 fps, 31 Sd, 1.5"@25 yd. LBT.312-105FB, 2.0 BE 989 fps, 14 Sd, 1"@25yd. NEI#82 88gr. FN, 1.7 BE, 860 fps, 14 Sd, 1.5"@25yd NEI#82 88gr. FN, 2.0 BE, 1037 fps, 15 Sd, 1"@25yd.

I hope this is helpful.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 23 August 2013

Many thanks.  I will go and have some fun :)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 August 2013

Please let me know how they work out for you.

On another matter, I would ask your assistance in dating some 7.65 Browning ammunition which came from the estate of a WW2 veteran. The steel cased ammunition appears to be commercial production, perhaps of pre-WW2 era. I recognize the RWS, Geco and Sinoxid trademarks and understand that it has the noncorrosive primer.

Can you tell me any more about it from the photo?

I only have this one box, which appears in nice condition and will keep it as a curio. When they migrated to the new server it scrubbed the photo, so I have reloaded it. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 25 August 2013

I have not seen any ammo shown in your photo.

My experience has been limited to:

Sellier & Bellot 4.75 gram / 73 grain FMJ

CBC from Brazil.  Berdan primed.  Some cartirdges had green sealent on the primer and case mouth, and some had a red sealent.

I also have one lone HP headstamped round, that has a silver FMJ bullet (from the Lone Ranger's hideaway gun ???)

Winchester 71 grain FMJ (which cost me more than a box of 9mmP, which is why I stopped shooting the .32)

It has been a long time since I shot the .32s, and I hear crying them late at night, for me to take them out to play :)

Now that I have some loading data for heavy bullets, I will have to see if I can get some ammo loaded this week.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 09 January 2014

wow I just posted and hit reply and my post vanished... anyway I loaded some wadcutter bullets in the 32 acp this evening and shot them in my garage to see about functioning. I loaded the 313415 with 1.8 and 1.5 gr. of green dot. the action functioned perfectly with both loads, however having no idea of pressure I will stick to the 1.5 load. all the power I really need is enough to penetrate both sides of a sheet of paper. I only shot these loads in one of my 32 acp pistols and it may not function in others but it worked fine in the one 1903 colt I tried it in. green dot was used only because I have a fair amount and the can was handy. the overall length was .947 primers in the 1.5 gr load looked fine with no flattening. in the hotter load the cases rolled under my work bench in my garage. next I will load some to try for accuracy testing. the weight of these bullets was right at 96 gr.

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 January 2014

midway sells 0.314 light bullets bulk ... i use wadcutters for short range plinking ... i like the holes they make.

i use bullseye, trap 100, red dot, 700X, etc. in the original cases, no adapters.

since i make my own rules, these win most competitions against bean cans. ( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

cptuap posted this 10 January 2014

Ken, I've used 90gr. SWC sized to .311 in my 300H&H for Plinkin and plan on using same sized .314 in my 7.7mm Jap. No adapters needed with light loads of Bullseye. Charlie

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 10 January 2014

I found a great deal on 17 lbs of .314 SWC at 105 grains a few years ago. Needless to say My Mosins love them sitting on a few grains of 231. I pop them out at around 850 fps, if I remember correctly. Great load for the 40 yd driveway range!

Attached Files

Carbine Dave posted this 10 January 2014

Hello, Talked to good friend, who is a German Pocket Pistol fiend, He thinks maybe post war,is the bullet steel core? steel jacket with plating?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 January 2014

Gilding metal-clad steel jacket, but not steel core. Bullet weight is 77 grains, velocity 981 fps, 17 Sd over 8-shot samlle fired from my Walther PP. Performance almost identical to commercial Geco from late 1970s.

Attached Files

Close