Heavy Metal Molds

• 6.2K Views
  • Last Post 02 September 2013
Ed Harris posted this 27 August 2013

I recently received some six-cavity blocks for the 7.62x39 mold of my design from Heavy Metal Molds. These were ordered in the Group Buy from the Cast Boolits website.

I'm very pleased with the moderate price, fast turnaround and high quality of these blocks. The 6-cavity molds on 3” blocks fit either Lee, RCBS or Saeco handles.

I ran some today which will get shot in my Winchester 54 .30-'06 shortly.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 27 August 2013

Does the maker sell individual moulds and have a catalog? I hate that group buy thing.

Attached Files

Adk Mike posted this 27 August 2013

I got one myself. It came yesterday. I plan on casting a few this weekend.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 August 2013

pat i. wrote: Does the maker sell individual moulds and have a catalog? I hate that group buy thing.

Not that I am aware of, but I hope that someone will correct me!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 August 2013

I hate the “group cluster XXXX” also Pat! I paid my money for the first one and got a POS 14 months later. Never again! Ric

Attached Files

mckg posted this 28 August 2013

It is frustrating to hear all these wonders... but I understand one would prefer that form of business. If only some shop was willing to order and sell extra molds...

On the shooting side, I am curious to hear about accuracy from 6 cavities; I suppose you will not spend much time culling and segregating?

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 28 August 2013

I am quite tired of the slow  production output of the heavy iron single or double cavity molds..

Aluminium and computerized milling machines  make  wonderful molds at affordable prices..

I feel that no bullet sorting  and separating the production of every single cavity is necessary if you are not one of the very best bench rest champions.

I use to hunt boars , shoot in cow boy matches  and plink at maximum range of 60 meters.,Aluminium gang molds are perfect for my own use.

Theese are the bullets I made yesterday morning ,  listening once the Four seasons of Antonio Vivaldi.,About three quarters of an hour. Abut 80% of the content of an RCBS pot.

458 -300 grainer from a saeco mold .4595 correct diameters  and a 44 200 grains  mould with bands caressed by Erik Olsen  to a diameter of .432.

And while the Saeco gang moulds are lighter than Lyman's the aluminium gang molds from various manifacturers are handier and lighter.

I too hate this system of group buys , but being lucky  my good friend Ed Harris did all the paper wotk for me .

And last but not least all my  aluminium gang molds ,being custom or  semi custom are of correct diameters, often Saeco and Lyman are of wrong diameters.

I have some old Walt Melander Nei moulds , LBT moulds,Accurate Moulds,Ranchdog moulds even Lee design are good in that respest..

This reproduction of the old 7.62x39 Harris bullet has a correct design and diameters.. Anxiously waiting for the packet in the Mailbox. 

Attached Files

Bodine posted this 28 August 2013

Pat The heavy metal molds are being made by a fellow in Idaho that goes by the handle of JT. These are CNC Mill cut molds the advantage is he cuts round nose and pointy bullets a also makes hollow point molds. I have one on order for a 9mm/38 .358 dia 124gr. Somehow Ed snuck his in before me, of course JT went to him for advice prior to making a mold so he could make them right the first time. You should try one I will get the info as to where to call. Honestly I will send him a PM at the boolits site, he hangs there for the most part. I will get his shop phone number for ya. He works at a gun shop. Jeff

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 August 2013

mckg wrote: On the shooting side, I am curious to hear about accuracy from 6 cavities; I suppose you will not spend much time culling and segregating?

If the mold is good I do no sorting, no weighing, visual inspection only. Most of the time shoot bullets cast of wheelweights, loaded as-cast and unsized, tumbled in Lee Liquid Alox, loaded carefully in prepped brass in which primer pockets and flash holes have been uniformed, cases trimmed, smoothly deburred inside and out, and mouths flared slightly to positively prevent any bullet damage in seating.

Use measured, moderate charges under 1300 fps, mostly 7.8 to 8.4 grains of Bullseye in the .30-'06 or 12.0-13.5 of #2400, no filler, standard large rifle primers.

In military boltguns I expect 2” to 2-1/2” or so ten-shot groups at 100 yards over a long series, or 4-5” at 200 yards with iron sights. Firing sporting bolt rifles with hunting scope less than 6X groups of 1-1/2” to 2” at 100 and in proportion to 200 is expected, though these slow loads are wind sensitive like shooting a .22LR.

I'm not shooting these in benchrest competition from heavy rifles, but for recreation. They are adequate for military rifle postal matches if you have a known load which shoots well and a bullet which fits. These cast loads are much more accurate than military Ball ammunition, cheaper to shoot and don't shoot out the barrel.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 28 August 2013

Bodine wrote: Pat The heavy metal molds are being made by a fellow in Idaho that goes by the handle of JT. These are CNC Mill cut molds the advantage is he cuts round nose and pointy bullets a also makes hollow point molds. I have one on order for a 9mm/38 .358 dia 124gr. Somehow Ed snuck his in before me, of course JT went to him for advice prior to making a mold so he could make them right the first time. You should try one I will get the info as to where to call. Honestly I will send him a PM at the boolits site, he hangs there for the most part. I will get his shop phone number for ya. He works at a gun shop. Jeff   Any Ph. # would be helpful as he hasn't bothered to answer either a PM on the Boolits site or an e mail  considering offering a 75-80 gn .225 casting  ??

Attached Files

mckg posted this 29 August 2013

Thanks, Giorgio and Ed.

One more question for Ed: do you know if/how armful Alox is exactly for health?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 August 2013

According to the MSDS it is 55% calcium soap solids in a 45% aliphatic mineral spirit carrier. As long as you don't ingest it and maintain adequate ventilation I am aware of no issues as long as you follow normal industrial hygiene practices. The handling of lead bullets is alot more hazardous.

I wear disposable powdered Nitrile medical exam gloves when inspecting/culling, lubing, and loading ammunition these days. Otherwise don't eat or drink, etc. while loading or casting and wash thoroughly after handling any lead.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 29 August 2013

Wayne http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?210659-HM%B2-312-155-2-300-BlackOut-boolit-6-cav-s

phone number and website in the post

Giorgio Glad to see you posting hope you are in good health

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 29 August 2013

Yes  4060 may , Thanking our Lord for all the days he gives me..

To morrow great plinking session at the Acqui range , a place well known to Ed.

I'll shoot  the Harris bullet from an old Walt Melander mold in a chinese SKS , and waiting for the arrival of the new  Heavy Metal Mold.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 August 2013

pat i. wrote: Does the maker sell individual moulds and have a catalog? I hate that group buy thing. You and I agree on that about 1,000,000 % !

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 31 August 2013

That sure is a beautiful mold Ed! I sent an e-mail to HeavyMetalMolds asking if he would sell on an individual basis & also asked if he would drop in here at CBA. Maybe others could do the same. [email protected]

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 31 August 2013

mckg wrote: I On the shooting side, I am curious to hear about accuracy from 6 cavities; I suppose you will not spend much time culling and segregating?

I have a 6 cavity NEI #72 from the Melander days.I do not sort and find so accuraccy diffence when compared to a singe cavity i had of the same design.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

mckg posted this 31 August 2013

Thanks all for your answers.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 September 2013

See this thread for what visual inspected only bullets from good gang molds do.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=9859&forumid=61&jumpto=69695#p69695

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 September 2013

I checked the dimensions of that bullet over on boolits & wrote them down. Then I went to mountain molds & entered those dimensions +/- with 5% meplat. I can have that same bullet made in a two cavity & have the option of varying the diameter. Think I'll get one for my 7.62 x 54R in .316 dia..

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 September 2013

JT was running these in either. 312, .316 or. 325 on the group buy.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close