9mm mould suggestions.

• 6.2K Views
  • Last Post 24 December 2013
adrians posted this 17 September 2013

Evening folks, I am about to embark on a new adventure ,, that being casting for my wife's 9mm revolver.

I have been casting for long guns for a few years now but hand guns :wow:

I'm not fishing for load data , (that's what my manuals are for) but suggestions for a decent plinking bullet.

I have the Lee 9mm mould and also the Ideal 358156 ,,, maybe I need go no further,,, but it's nice to have input from you folks who know what's what as far as the 9mm goes.

The revolver was slugged but I can't remember off hand the size but I want to say the Lee was too small ,, iirc.

Thanks and have a wonderful night,,, :hunt::taz:

p.s the gun is a Ruger sp101....:thinking:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
argie1891 posted this 17 September 2013

I haven't loaded for a 9mm revolver but the lyman 147 gr. bullet is hard to beat. in simi auto pistols it will provide enough energy to work the action at a velocity low enough to not lead. my first experience with the 9mm was with a 100 gr bullet for the 380 auto wow I had to get it up to a speed that leaded the heck out of my ruger p-95. it did shoot well but I am not a fan of scrubbing lead from a barrel. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

PETE posted this 17 September 2013

Adrians,

Funny you should ask at this point in time. I wanted a nice light bullet to shoot in my 9mm Glock. What I'm using is an NOE 358242 92 gr RN. At 50 ft., off the bench it'll keep them all in the black. Should be a nice light recoiling bullet for your wife.

Pete

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 17 September 2013

I have tried 3 Lee molds, the 124-2R,124-TC and the 125-2R and they all shoot fine in every 9mm I have. I cast them soft at 20 to 1 so they will slug up if they are to small. If you still want a larger bullet try the Lee 358-105-SWC or the 358-125-RF. Both of those also, work well.

Glenn

Attached Files

MaryB posted this 18 September 2013

Lee 120grain TC mold

Attached Files

adrians posted this 18 September 2013

Well I mispoke when I said I had a Lee 9mm ,, it isn't a 9 it's a 140gr 358 mold,, sorry.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions I think I will get something a little lighter for her to plink with.

Pete, that 92 grn rn you mention might be worth looking for as I don't think anything much over 120gr will do for my purposes or should I say hers :dude: ;).

Have a great Wednesday folks.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 18 September 2013

Adrians,

I had to load that 92 grainer up in order to get it to function the slide but you can probably load it down quite a bit more for your wifes revolver.

I got my mold off the NOE web site. They had 4 molds left when I ordered it a month ago,

If you get a chance let us know how it works out

Pete

Attached Files

adrians posted this 18 September 2013

I'll take a looksee at NOE and see if Swede has any left, then i'll look in my billfold :D.

Maybe I should get herself to buy it for me,,, I mean her..;)

Attached Files

MauserMusicMan posted this 19 September 2013

The Lee 124 RN, cast from wheel weights, has worked well in 9mm semiautos I've owned, over a light charge of Bullseye...not much recoil, and the mold drops good bullets with minimal effort. I own several Lee molds, and they all are good. I especially like the tumble lube versions...I don't have to size 'em. And no, I don't work for Lee (I'm a high school band/choir director) but wouldn't mind doing so...retirement is looming!

Attached Files

mckg posted this 19 September 2013

I had a 358-150-SWC (actually 140 grs) which showed some very good will in 38Sp, it was just boring in a heavy gun. Give it a try.

I also tried the 356-125-RN, which was very accurate; try beagling it if it leads. The gun was a GP100 and I wonder if Ruger bothers making a special barrel for the 9 versions.

Regarding the low recoil, you can significantly lower loads in that little case; look for 38 S&W data.

Attached Files

ncbearman posted this 21 September 2013

That 358156 you have is a good shooter. As you know it's imperative to know your bore size in casting. COWW lead should be fine for the 9mm. Cast then size, lube .002 over and you will be happy with the results. Also OAL in a revolver is important too. I like to be about .002 below the max.

Attached Files

Garyshome posted this 15 December 2013

124-2R & 124-TC works in my 9.

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 December 2013

358156 works in 9mm if you leave the gascheck off. The profile resembles Hornadys 147 gr jacketed. You could start out with Lyman 147 gr starting loads. Most of the Lyman molds I've dealt with seem to run 155 gr or so. Elmer Keith used to recommend 158 gr RN with about 3 gr of Bullseye in 9mm cases for practice. Since you don't have to worry about feeding issues, you could use whatever you want as far as bullets go.

Attached Files

Spud posted this 23 December 2013

Lee 125 RF works for me in both 38/357 revolver and feeds great in my 9mm semi autos, and I like the flat nose. Two birds with one stone. Had a S&W 659 it wouldn't work in, though. Had to seat boolits excessively deep. And it doesn't drain the pot as fast as my 158 and 170's.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 24 December 2013

I couldn't find the Lee .357-140 FN in Lee's current O/L catalog, Anyone ever try sizing this to .356 and trying in a 9 ??  I sold my 9, but will be  starting to cast for a friend, and just trying to use a mold I have on hand

Attached Files

NuJudge posted this 24 December 2013

I would also encourage you to look at the Lee 358 125 RF, especially if your barrel groove diameter is over standard.

The 9mm pistols I shoot most are Beretta and Walthers. All of their barrels are just under .358". If you shoot a .356” bullet in them, you get Leading. I cast the Lee 358 125 RF really hard, size it at .359", and put it over a mild charge of 231 and it shoots really well for me.

A word of warning: I have other 9mm pistols such as a Browning HiPower that my Dad had made into a race gun in the 1960's, which also has a large groove diameter, but the chamber will not admit a cartridge loaded with a bullet over .356". It gets jacketed bullets.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 24 December 2013

I've loaded 9mm with Lyman Devastators and now, commercial hard cast bullets. If you really want to make it easy on yourself, go with the 125 grain weight. No matter which bullet design I use, the matching weight makes it possible to utilize the same powder charge.

Loading up a ton of 9mm, that would help. 

Ron  :rpdfire:

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 24 December 2013

NuJudge wrote: I would also encourage you to look at the Lee 358 125 RF, especially if your barrel groove diameter is over standard.

The 9mm pistols I shoot most are Beretta and Walthers. All of their barrels are just under .358". If you shoot a .356” bullet in them, you get Leading. I cast the Lee 358 125 RF really hard, size it at .359", and put it over a mild charge of 231 and it shoots really well for me.

A word of warning: I have other 9mm pistols such as a Browning HiPower that my Dad had made into a race gun in the 1960's, which also has a large groove diameter, but the chamber will not admit a cartridge loaded with a bullet over .356". It gets jacketed bullets. I know he changed out the OME Glock bbl. for a Lone Wolf  bbl. So I'll have to send him a few .360 soft lead bullets to slug the throat  with

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 24 December 2013

Has anyone tried the Saeco (Redding) #384, 122-grain mold?

Tom

Attached Files

Close