Winchester m70 with cast

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 26 September 2013
Rich/WIS posted this 19 September 2013

Looking at a 91 vintage Featherweight M70 243, blue with synthetic stock. Anyone have any experience with cast in this model in 243 (or other calibers). Have a pre-war in 06 that is a good shooter but not sure about newer models.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 19 September 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5297>Rich/WIS

They all take some work to get shooting well. It is pretty rare that any rifle snaps to attention and shoots cast well.

The best way that works for me starting with a rifle is to determine the chamber throat dimensions with a chamber casting and then select a mold that will cast bullets for a sliding contact to the throat when chambering rounds. There about that size or slightly larger to be sized down for the sliding fit.

That is where accuracy starts with cast and the .243 will be no different.

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/chambercastingalloy.htm

The stuff is re-usable and a lifetime supply for $15.99.  The onsite directions are good and YouTube has plenty of videos on “Chamber Casting” if you are unfamiliar with this important step to get the best accuracy with cast bullets.

Gary

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 20 September 2013

Hadn't thought about taking a chamber cast, good idea.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 20 September 2013

Rich/WIS,

The late Mike Mohler was a top notch CBA competitor in production class with a 243 and won the nationals in 2007 shooting a 243 Ruger 77. If you are a CBA member look at the match reports in your old Fouling Shots for Mike's loads.

If your rifle shoots jacketed bullets well it probably can be made to shoot cast.

John

Attached Files

Bob S posted this 21 September 2013

Well, this is not a Model 70, it's a Ruger 77V in 243 that I used as a XTC gun for a few years.

As always, any groups I show you are fired from the prone position in the sling.

I settled on the ten grain load, and with hard holding and careful wind-watching, it will still shoot Master class scores with that load at 100 yards. Of course this wouldn't be competitive in your bench rest matches ... but I don't shoot from the bench. :D

Resp'y, Bob S.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 22 September 2013

WOW!! I can get close to that size a group with my 788 carbine at 50 with that bullet modded to 70gr PB and 4.0 gr Bullseye, but at 100 yards it opens up to about 4-5 inches. Was asking about the M70 as I wondered if the barrels had a reputation as cast bullet friendly, as the 788 doesn't seem to like the RCBS 243-095 even at 50 yards. I have just started working up loads for it, so there is hope, but wonder if the rifle may be part of the problem.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 22 September 2013

I had a push feed M70 in 30-06 that shot cast very well. I don't know if that is much help to you. That rifle was probably made in the 80's.

Attached Files

Bob S posted this 22 September 2013

Hi Rich,

I can't address the newer Model 70's, as the newest one that I have with a factory barrel is a circa 1966 Target model in .30 cal. I can tell you that all of the older .30 cal Mod 70's are VERY cast-friendly indeed.

I'm sort of surprised that your 788 isn't performing better than that. I own two 788's, both .308 ... one is still “stock", and the other was rebuilt into my personal Palma rifle with an Obermyer barrel after the 1992 Match at Raton. Both with their origiinal factory barrels would shoot cast loads very well.

In the 6mm's, I'm working with 6mm Remington now ... partly because that cartridge has a longer neck, and the factory twist is 1:9". I have a Remington 40X, and a Ruger 77V that is a virtual clone of the 243 that is pictured above. I am also considering picking up a 788 in 6mm. Also working with the 6mm USN (or “236 Navy"). That one has Metford rifling with 1:7.5” twist, so not sure how it work with cast. I have recently purchased an Ideal 243497, and the RCBS 95 grain mould. Just started casting, no shooting results to report yet.

I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the “Door County Rod & Gun Club". I was the Navy Supervisor of Shipbuilding in Sturgeon Bay 1977-1980. Loved the area, wish I could find the time to go back!

Resp'y, Bob S.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 24 September 2013

Saw the door County refernce, never been to that part of the state, but hear it is beautiful.

I expected the 788 to be really good with cast as well. With j bullets it is scary acurate for what was intended as a entry level rifle. I still haven't done a lot of load development with it, think I was spoiled by my 30-06s, seemed to shoot fine right out of the gate.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 September 2013

i have an extra 788 in 243 ... traded something for it but never shot it ..if anyone interested i will dig it out y inspect it closer.

thinking about it i also got an extra 77v ( 1981 ? ) in 243. its a sweetie. less than 200 rds., excellent.

ken [email protected] ( my pm doesn't work )

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 26 September 2013

Quick follow up. Since my earlier post I bougth a bore snake and used Onandaga's method to polish the bore on the 788, 50 passes. Quick run to the range today. I forgot my targets and had to scrounge some of the stick on pasters out of the trash can. These were 1/2” dots and the crosshairs on my scope cover them at 100 so shot at 50. First load were 4.5 gr Bullyeye and 70 gr PB from a modded Lyman 245496 mold, first five seemed to condition barrel, last 2 almost touched. Next five were an honest to God 1/2” center to center group. Second load was RCBS 243-095 with 8.8 gr SR7625. Nine were in a 1” center to center group and one was about 1 1/4” from group center. Not sure if it was me or the load, as these were my first casting with this mold and I found a few that were not perfect. Have to cast some more of both and see if I can duplicate this. Think I will keep the 788 after all.

Attached Files

Close