A Question for Ed Harris

• Last Post 02 November 2017
Muskrat Mike posted this 24 October 2017

First off, I really appreciate Ed's articles in the "Fouling Shot" and his posts in the forum. A big Thank You!

The article I have a question on is "Cast Bullets in Rough Bores" in journal 249

I'm easy to confuse at times and I just want to be sure I understand that whenever you say "wet patch, dry patch" you are talking about "Lee Liqiud Alox,wet patch,then dry patch"??

This article is very timely for me as I'm trying to help a friend clean up the bore on an a neat old Marlin 1894 25-20 ,that's in great shape except bore, and make it shootable without spending money on relining the barrel etc.

Thanks ahead of time!

Mike

Muskrat Mike

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 24 October 2017

First initial shooting when bore is thoroughly cleaned, pre-lube the bore with Lee Liquid Alox.

After the bore has been fired with lubricated cast bullets, then wet patch with Ed's Red or Kroil, then one dry patch to remove the excess.

If you remove leading on the dry patch, repeat the JB and Kroil routine again, then pre-lube wet with liquid Alox and dr patch again before firing.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
  • M3 Mitch
Muskrat Mike posted this 24 October 2017

Thank you so much!  That makes more sense to me now!

Muskrat Mike

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 October 2017

The .25-20 sounds like a great candidate for this method.  Please post your results when you get a chance.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Muskrat Mike posted this 25 October 2017

I will ! Gladly!

I just tumble lubed 100+ of the 85 gr RCBS flat nose bullet that I cast of 20/1.  I'm figuring on loading them on top of 4.0 grains of Unique, unless you have a better recommendation.

I'll report back when time and weather permit me to give it a go!

Mike.

Muskrat Mike

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 October 2017

That sounds about right.

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 02 November 2017

I recently tried 6.5 grains of H4227 and that bullet and shot the best groups I have shot in my 25-20. There are about 140 pages on the 25-20 in the Marlin Owners Group forum.

Duke

Attached Files

Close